1.5.0.6 High Memory and CPU Usage

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
IniquityB

Post by IniquityB »

VanillaMozilla wrote:The BA site has a JavaScript problem. There is probably an infinite loop in JavaScript coding for the Web site. That means the site just directs the computer to go in endless circles. I suggest you contact the BA webmaster.

Thanks for the info. As I said, I just wanted to offer a real-world example. If it's the code and not Firefox, good.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Digger wrote: the most important change was - browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl - which I changed from false to true. So far no problems and no freezing browser. Time will tell but maybe this is the definitive problem with 1.5.0.6?

I don't see how that could possibly have any effect, except by pure accident. It's just a random change. There are probably over 100 million copies that work fine with the default. If it works, fine, I guess, but I really think you should go back to basic troubleshooting.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

NewMozUser29A wrote:That site works fine on Fx 2 beta 1.

Are you sure? Be sure to enable JavaScript. The results vary also somewhat from time to time. The problem also affects Opera.
NewMozUser29A

Post by NewMozUser29A »

I'm not stupid VanillaMozilla - since 'JS' injection was the problem I tried it with JS. I've tried it a few times more now and with Fx 1.5.06 and I'm not having any problems. :)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I'm not sure, but I think they may have fixed the site. Last time I checked, I found only 30% CPU use, compared to 99%+ previously. And now it's closer to zero. Since it failed with several browsers, I imagine they got told about it pretty fast.
Jane S

Post by Jane S »

I'd just like to say a HUGE thankyou to everyone that helped me with my problems I was having with FF. It looks very much like it was 'more than there used to be' javascript things on the pages I view (mostly ads). I installed the 'no script' extension before work yesterday and left the PC running. I had my email client, mIRC, IE, task manager and 10 tabs in firefox open, in fact I even started up msn messenger just to give it a good flogging! Got home from work and FF CPU was running between 1 and 3 and the VM was hovering around 25,000. MASSIVE difference for me!! Normally I only run 5 tabs (due to the low RAM), but I gave it 10 and it made no difference! 10 worked fine!
Now, I'm not sure if I should start a new thread regarding my next query or not. Let me know if I should and I'll do just that. I've found the no script is quite easy to use. However, I can't get the google maps to work. I thought I'd 'allowed' javascript for google.com but I still get a blank screen. It works ok on IE, so it's not like the site is down. There's also a page of traffic webcams that I look at occasionally (not live stream ones) and they won't work either. If I right click on the page it gives me the option to allow whatever the site is, so I hit allow for both those sites, yet they still won't work.
Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jane
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Check this pref in about:config
Type in the url bar: about:config <enter>
Filter: dom.disable_image_src_set -> false

http://kb.mozillazine.org/JavaScript#Ad ... t_settings
(Change images)
Jane S

Post by Jane S »

Thanks for that tip! It worked!!!!!
I also wanted to give an update since I installed the 'no script' extension. I've had FF open since I installed it (3 days) and have been running 6 tabs most of the time. It's now behaving like it was before the problems started, so i'm VERY happy. Normally I need to restart it every 2 days, but after 3, it's still running happily. VM is hovering between 38,000 to 40,000, CPU is either 0 or 2% which I'm happy with after 3 days on such low RAM. Hopefully some of the others that were having similar problems have had success too!

Thanks again for all your help. It's very much appreciated! I came so close to throwing the laptop at the front door on more than one occasion over the last few weeks, because I was sick of having to shut FF down everytime I visited a website!

Jane
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You're welcome :wink:

Post by Guest »

Hi,

Here's my personal experience with high memory usage when loading Firefox..

The loading of Firefox was really slow, and I saw that the memory usage went up to 200.000 Ko when loading, before going down to ~24.000 Ko. Consequently, other process have to go in the swap (I have 512 Mo of RAM), and it was really slow.

When loading Firefox in safe mode, I didn't saw this phenomem. The problem came from the ForecastFox extension (version 0.9.3).. But in the following page, "Problematic extension" : http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions, you can read for ForecastFox : "Prior to 0.9.2 - Memory leak - Upgrade to version 0.9.2 or later". Apparently, the problem is not fixed yet !

So, I've uninstalled ForecastFox and all is perfect again !
NewMozUser29A

Post by NewMozUser29A »

Jane S wrote:I'd just like to say a HUGE thankyou to everyone that helped me with my problems I was having with FF....I installed the 'no script' extension...MASSIVE difference for me!! I've found the no script is quite easy to use.
Thanks,
Jane

You're welcome Jane and glad NoScript has lived up to its reputation for you. :)
schapel

Post by schapel »

Anonymous wrote:Apparently, the problem is not fixed yet!

What you're seeing is not a memory leak. If it were, the memory used would never be returned. Anyway, this is a problem to report to the authors of ForecastFox.
gcasanova

Post by gcasanova »

Something is wrong with Firefox that was not so before. Something was done to the newer versions that is making other browsers better than Firefox. I hope something is done in the future instead of just blaming extensions and external problems.
My PC is fast and new. Firefox has no extensions, its a new installation. Yet CPU usage goes to a 100% when opening all kind of pages... gmail.com, mozilla.com, anything with or without flash, java...
The problem is without any doubts to me, Firefox.
I've searched the Internet for similar opinions and I've found quite a lot, and unfortunately they all seem to have another point in common and that is that Firefox doesn't seem to accept this problem and blames others, specially extensions, for the browsers behaviour. I hope that changes in the future.
I've been using Firefox since the beginning, and I'm a huge fan, but something IS wrong in the newer versions.
gcasanova

Post by gcasanova »

My original message is here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 43#2441043

There, someone said that "oddly enough", many Firefox users do not suffer the experiences I have with Firefax, meaning that I am wrong and Firefox is right. Meaning that I must be crazy because I'm complaining.
Fortunately someone replies saying he has the same problems (or similar) to me.
But, since I'm wrong and Firefox is perfect. I will stop using this browser and look somewhere else.
Fanatism is not the answer.
assybish

Post by assybish »

I agree entirely , CPU usage is cycling by the second from 0-98% and memory usage is over 140KB and I have 2 GB high speed RAM It keeps crashing with the firefox has to close now message - no new extensions installed - I've also use system restore to go back but no change.
If this isn't fixed soon will remove firefox. Have tried closed AV malware progs no difference.
Never had this problem before and have used Firefox from the start.