Latest K-Meleon Beta - K-Meleon 0.8 Beta Build 833

Composer, ChatZilla and other Mozilla applications, along with Netscape, Galeon, K-Meleon and other products.
amutch

Latest K-Meleon Beta - K-Meleon 0.8 Beta Build 833

Post by amutch »

The latest K-meleon 0.8 beta is available for testing. This build is built on the Mozilla 1.5 release code with the patch for GDI leaks included (it wasn't included in the final release of Mozilla 1.5).

This is version 0.8 Build 833. You can check the version number by selecting Help - About K-Meleon. The version number is listed at the bottom of the window.

The following are known issues with this beta build:

* Possible crashes in Windows 95
* Autoscroll problem causing crashes
* View Certificates causes browser to lock up
* Accept or View cookies causes problems with browser

Please download and test this build and report all bugs to the developers
list.

kmeleon-dev@lists.sourceforge.net

If you post reports to the K-Meleon Forums, please include the build number with your report.

You can download the beta here:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/files/kmeleon08rc.zip

Andrew
amutch

Installation of new beta

Post by amutch »

I should note that the current beta is in ZIP format. Simply extract the files to your preferred location and run the k-meleon executable to get started!
boogomatic

Post by boogomatic »

amutch wrote:The following are known issues with this beta build:

* Possible crashes in Windows 95

The crashes only effected builds 828 through 832.

Bitmapped Menus and Rebar Menu plugins are working on Win95 in build 833.

The previous added patch for GDI leaks has greatly improved the stability.
-Trenton
koriordan

what are the advantages?

Post by koriordan »

Forgive me for saying this, but what is the point of having k-meleon these days? It was great in the day, when the main Mozilla was very bloated, and the machines at the time had trouble running it smoothly, but now we have Mozilla Firebird which is so much more stable and in my opinion makes K-meleon totally obsolete.

Is the new version 0.8 faster/more stable than Firebird?
amutch

Why K-Meleon?

Post by amutch »

There's a number of reason why we still are developing K-Meleon:

1) It runs on machines that the other Mozilla browsers won't run on. Have you run Firebird on a 486? Probably not. "But wait, who uses a machine that slow?" Apparently, many people are still using old PCs that don't have the resources to run other Mozilla browsers.

2) Native interfaces: Not everyone likes XUL. I don't have anything against XUL but I think K-Meleon demonstrates the benefits of using a native interface.

3) Customizable: K-Meleon is sooo simple to customize. We make it easy for end-users to do whatever they want with the browser. I know that Firebird and Mozilla extensions make this fairly easy to do but for those who want to tweak every setting, K-Meleon lets you do it with ease.

4) It's faster: Yes, I think we are still the faster of the two.

As we see it, if you use Firebird and are happy with it, then enjoy. But that's no reason not to build K-Meleon. I can tell you that we aren't taking a thing in terms of development resources from Firebird. So there's no reason these two browsers can't co-exist.
bdeonline

Post by bdeonline »

Choices, Choices, Choices. Choices is a good thing (we all don't want to be stuck with a Monopoly). I like Kemelon for its speed it shows that Gecko doesn't have to be slow. I am mostly using Firebird but its nice to know that there is another choice out there.
jedbro

Post by jedbro »

Same. While I love XUL and hacking it.
My system would not be the same without Kmeleon.

Thanks to all the developers who are working on K-meleon!!!!
jparsons

Re: Why K-Meleon?

Post by jparsons »

amutch wrote:It runs on machines that the other Mozilla browsers won't run on. Have you run Firebird on a 486? Probably not. "But wait, who uses a machine that slow?" Apparently, many people are still using old PCs that don't have the resources to run other Mozilla browsers.

That's the truth!! I finally got a new computer, but K-M was great when I had my old one but wanted to use a modern browser.
The truth is, all might be free if they valued freedom, and defended it as they ought.
~Sam Adams
Sipaq

Re: what are the advantages?

Post by Sipaq »

koriordan wrote:Forgive me for saying this, but what is the point of having k-meleon these days? It was great in the day, when the main Mozilla was very bloated, and the machines at the time had trouble running it smoothly, but now we have Mozilla Firebird which is so much more stable and in my opinion makes K-meleon totally obsolete.

While I personally prefer Firebird, no browser on Windows beats K-Meleon in terms of speed. (Not even Opera)
Sunbird/Calendar project webmaster
Visit the Calendar developer blog
aharon

Post by aharon »

I've eagerly waited for K-Meleon 0.8 since the last 0.7 service pack. I run the Mozilla Suite on my desktop and K-Meleon/Thunderbird on my less powerful laptop. K-meleon is the fastest most lightweight browser I've ever used and a very practical alternative to Firebird. I certainly look forward to the day when Firebird (Mozilla Browser) and Thunderbird (Mozilla Mail) development eclipse that of the Mozilla Suite. But until then, I'm sticking with K-Meleon. K-Meleon kills pop-ups and uses a tab like feature called "Layers." What's there not to like?
frease

Re: what are the advantages?

Post by frease »

Sipaq wrote:
koriordan wrote:Forgive me for saying this, but what is the point of having k-meleon these days? It was great in the day, when the main Mozilla was very bloated, and the machines at the time had trouble running it smoothly, but now we have Mozilla Firebird which is so much more stable and in my opinion makes K-meleon totally obsolete.

While I personally prefer Firebird, no browser on Windows beats K-Meleon in terms of speed. (Not even Opera)

I think KM fires up real fast, followed by Opera and FB. However, KM still lacks a lot of features.
Gorlim

Re: Latest K-Meleon Beta - K-Meleon 0.8 Beta Build 833

Post by Gorlim »

K-Meleon isn't under development anymore?