Alt+S occupied in 2.0b1

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
CrossBud

Alt+S occupied in 2.0b1

Post by CrossBud »

I'm fond of the shortcut Alt+S
to submit my replies in most forums.

But now I found the shortcut has been occupied by fx for the History shortcut.
I wish that the staff can cancel this shortcut.

Please, Alt+S to submit is really vital for many forums users.
Last edited by CrossBud on August 2nd, 2006, 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

it was changed by https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=343909
so comment in the bug ?
CrossBud

Post by CrossBud »

Thank you.
I've done that.
stonedyak

Post by stonedyak »

Yes, I found this change annoying too. You can either use Shift-Alt+S to submit or you can change it back to how it was using about:config
Change:
ui.key.chromeAccess to 5
ui.key.contentAccess to 4

This will allow you to use Alt for webpage shortcuts and Shift-Alt for Firefox's menu shortcuts
CrossBud

Post by CrossBud »

stonedyak wrote:Yes, I found this change annoying too. You can either use Shift-Alt+S to submit or you can change it back to how it was using about:config
Change:
ui.key.chromeAccess to 5

This will allow you to use Alt for webpage shortcuts and Shift-Alt for Firefox's menu shortcuts

wow, this is what exactly i needed.
Thanks a lot
kermalou

Post by kermalou »

thanks
pkasting

Post by pkasting »

stonedyak wrote:Change:
ui.key.chromeAccess to 5

Note that as-is, you can use Alt for menu shortcuts and shift+alt for webpage shortcuts, which I find more useful...
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

stonedyak wrote:This will allow you to use Alt for webpage shortcuts and Shift-Alt for Firefox's menu shortcuts

Also note that there's currently no way of making the menu access key a modifier combination (since it's controlled by the "old-style" ui.key.menuAccessKey pref and not ui.key.chromeAccess as you seem to suppose), so menu shortcuts will remain Alt+... even with the new prefs changed - what you want will still work though, because content access keys overwrite chrome ones.
coth

Post by coth »

but there is possibility to make another symbol. even alt+h for history and alt+l for help for example. but making alt+shift+something for the function that is used very often by many people isn't really great. especially considering the fact that over half of non english users have alt+shift used for changing of keyboard layout. accidently quickly pressed alt+shift without s will lead to changing of layout...
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

coth wrote:but there is possibility to make another symbol. even alt+h for history and alt+l for help for example.

That'd be a work-around, not a solution. In this line of thought, you'd have to determine which access keys happen to be used "often" and then make sure that no localized Firefox version uses any of them for menus and shortcuts. Not allowing web content to take over chrome shortcuts seems like the much cleaner solution.

coth wrote:but making alt+shift+something for the function that is used very often by many people isn't really great. especially considering the fact that over half of non english users have alt+shift used for changing of keyboard layout.

Care to share any statistics on "very often", "many people" and "over half of non english users"?
coth

Post by coth »

there are two standard options - ctrl+shift or alt+shift. personally i use ctrl+shift, but most of people i know prefer alt+shift, which is default in windows.

and yes indeed very often and by many people.
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

who are these many people? i for one don't use either and if i did, i'd perfer ctrl+shift, since it's easier to hit with the fingers
Change

Post by Change »

Maybe not "many" people, but anywhere where people with different language/keyboard preferences work on the same computer, this *will* lead to annoyances. Alt-shift changes the language of the keyboard, so after pressing it, Windows changes the keyboard settings and suddenly what you type is not what you see. I've experienced this with another application and it's extremely annoying (I had to uninstall the application and find another one).
alemao_ff

Post by alemao_ff »

I am using both chrome and content with value 4
It's weird to hold two keys but might be necessary...

Here, a little deep explanation:

Shift values 1
Ctrl values 2
Alt values 4

Maths:
Shift + Ctrl = 3
Shift + Alt = 5
Alt + Ctrl = 6
Ctrl + Shift + Alt = 7

Standard in Firefox BonEcho 2.0 is 5 (Shift + Alt)

Changing both:
ui.key.chromeAccess to 4

you will only need to press [ALT Key + letter] to access the button. That's what I am using :)
touficjohn

Post by touficjohn »

This was exactly what I was looking for thanks