How to reset Firefox back to original default settings

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
philiph

How to reset Firefox back to original default settings

Post by philiph »

I might have turned on the Acrobat feature which resulted in downloaded .asp files being opened by Acrobat. For instance http://www.projectiondesign.com/admin/c ... ileID=1176

Is that a way to reset Firefox back to its original factory settings. I have tried to uninstall and install Firefox but it did not help.
Kindly assist and thanks for your patience.:)
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Try this: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 62#2410762

If you want to reset everything then create a new profile:
Create a New Profile
Migrate/Copy Files to a New Profile
Bookmarks: bookmarks.html
Passwords: signons.txt and key3.db
Saved Forms: formhistory.dat
Site permissions: hostperm.1
philiph

Post by philiph »

Hi dickvl

Thanks for your advice. I have since followed your instructions and deleted the old default and created a new profile.

However, each file I download from this http://www.projectiondesign.com/Default.asp?CatID=1258 still always appears as a GetImg.asp file when downloaded to my desktop and is always opened by Acrobat, have I missed any steps ?

I like Firefox for the speed and hope to solve this downloading problem. Do you think a proper and complete UNinstall would help ?

Thanks for your quick advice.:)
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

What happens if you change the download setting?
Tools > Options > Downloads: "Ask me where to save every file" (check)
philiph

Post by philiph »

still the same with your latest instructions.

the problem is - my firefox does not recognise that this is a "Compressed (Zip) File" type to be downloaded.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

I get a zip file (Flash) with the first link and application/vnd.ms-excel files with the second.

Could it be your firewall or an anti-virus program that is changing some headers?
Are you using a proxy?

GetImg.asp?FileID=1176 should give a respons: sending post data to the server and waiting for an answer (MIME type content header) to let Fx know what to do with that file.
philiph

Post by philiph »

hi dickvl

i figured out what was wrong...it was a matter of left clicking or right clicking the mouse. By left clicking it will download as ZIP while right clicking will not work.

i am not able to offer any reason why this is so...but i must thank you for your assistance all along. :)
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Its probably a redirect - GetImg.asp, the target of the link, probably redirects to the zip file. By left-clicking Firefox loads GetImg.asp which then triggers the download of the zip file. By right-clicking Firefox saves GetImg.asp.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0