"undefined" on web page - What does it mean?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

"undefined" on web page - What does it mean?

Post by Guest »

I use FireFox exclusively as my browser but cannot understand something that is happening.

I am tyrying to log on to a perfectly reliable corporate site here in the UK. I enter the correct details but FF takes quite a few seconds before coming up with one word "undefined" at the top of a blank page.

Can anyone tell me what is happening?
NewMozUser29A

Post by NewMozUser29A »

Without a clickable hyperlink to that site to test it, or run it through a W3C validator such as http://validator.w3.org/ it is difficult to say, except for an expert maybe who might come along and help.

Post by Guest »

Many thanks. I've run the problem URL through the validator you kindly provided, which told me the page had 15 errors but nothing more (for me, that is, I'm not an expert!).

Further research leads me to think the site must have some long standing problem and I am now going to contact British Gas by telephone.

Cheers from Trevor [UK]
NewMozUser29A

Post by NewMozUser29A »

OK Trevor but if you cut n pasted the link to the report from that validator site that comes up there are many people here who would know what the errors were.

Good luck anyway!

(I can say that PowerGen UK's website was unusable in Firefox until only a short while ago - my Aunt over there had problems! So maybe Brit Gas are in the same situation.)

EDIT: Via a Google search I've just surfed to every Britisg Gas/Centrica/House.co.uk/BG-Group.com etc site and not had any 'undefined' scripts showing. That was with or without Javascript enabled and currently using Fx 2 Beta 1.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for taking all that trouble. You are right - the site is working OK now. There has been a security scare over a corporate finance site over here and I think British Gas must have disabled the bit I was aimung at, without giving any information to users.

Thanks to you all.

Trevor [UK]