Afraid to install latest trunk-win.32.zip

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
welikeme

Afraid to install latest trunk-win.32.zip

Post by welikeme »

I am totally confused trying to follow various threads but, I think I should save bookmarks and cookies plus App.data profile then delete phoenix and install nightly??
So I check my system and find within app.Data I have two profiles 1=default user 2=welikeme: so
this has caused duplicate prefs.js, cache, etc. I suppose I could somehow combine them ?

Oh, I have v0.5 (dec. 08?) and about to install my first nightly update and I don't want to again lose
my prefbar so I too wonder about prefbar.rdf and prefs.js if there is a connection?

Okay, I am all ears & eyes, guys, thanks for sure.
An old timer who needs step by step help;
Inquire here. :)
djst

Post by djst »

You should really delete the profile alltogether, that means both winlikeme and default.

I think it would be more trouble trying to import the prefbar settings than just install it again from Phoenix Help.
herman

Re: Afraid to install latest trunk-win.32.zip

Post by herman »

welikeme wrote:So I check my system and find within app.Data I have two profiles 1=default user 2=welikeme: so
this has caused duplicate prefs.js, cache, etc. I suppose I could somehow combine them ?

Profiles are made for separating them, not for combining.
You need them, if you want different passwords, cookies, bookmarks, history for different users or different use.
I´m working with the default profile only, so I don´t have separate bookmarkfiles, caches, etc.
So if you don´t want two profiles, delete one,
or both and start with a new one, as recommended with phoenix.
Mozilla´s profile is more stable because there are less changes.
Phoenix got lot of changes from version to version,
and phoenix users love to install a lot of themes and extensions,
and so sometimes you got to clean your profile ;-)
It´s always a good idea to backup a profile before deleting it,
so you can restore passwords, history or something like that, if you want to.

herman

P.S.
I unzipped mine just over the latest release, and it didn´t hurt at all ;-)
If anything would have gone bad, I would have deleted the installation,
and just unzipped into a fresh folder.
welikeme

nightly nitemare

Post by welikeme »

Is it just me? Wow, I had trouble trying to install the 12/28 win.zip build. I moved bookmarks & plugins and deleted C:\Phoenix,
and Profiles under AppData. Tried the Phoenix.exe and it could not find "xpcom.dll" yet it was right there in the build, plus I
also have same xpcom.dll in win\systems, but it would not install for me.
Egads, I forgot exactly where my bookmarks came from (so from now on I do not move them but delete 'cause from RecycleBin
I click retore and all is okay) Whew, I sure lost some bookmarks. Yes, found a prob with Norton so I uninstalled it then re-
installed then cleaned my system then defragged. So no going back in time to correct stuff. or find old bookmarks :)
I think it is best that I wait for the v.06 release in January. Thanks, guys, mayhap I should change my moniker to something like
"a lil bit of knowledge is dangerous in the wrong hands", but still this is fun.
Stefan

Re: nightly nitemare

Post by Stefan »

welikeme wrote:Is it just me? Wow, I had trouble trying to install the 12/28 win.zip build. I moved bookmarks & plugins and deleted C:\Phoenix,
and Profiles under AppData.

You need to delete the entire Phoenix folder in App Data, not just the profiles subdir.

To keep you bookmarks, the simplest is to export them before you delet your old version of Phoenix and then import them again in your new version.

BTW, installing 0.6 won't be any harder/easier then installing any nightly.
You however might find this unofficial installer usefull
http://seb.delahaye.net/phoenix/#download
ehume

Post by ehume »

Save your bookmarks to someplace other than your profile before you wipe it out. Then import your old bookmarks into the bookmarks of your new profile.

Or start up the new brwoser, then close it; go into your new profile directory and replace the new (nearly empty) bookmarks file with your old one. But do the import bit at least with every official version change (e.g.--when going from 0.5 to 0.6).

BTW--I have no problems with 2002-12-28. There are bugs, of course, but at the moment they're not bothersome. This is a nice build.
seb

Re: nightly nitemare

Post by seb »

Stefan wrote:BTW, installing 0.6 won't be any harder/easier then installing any nightly.
You however might find this unofficial installer usefull
http://seb.delahaye.net/phoenix/#download

If you have trouble to delete your profiles, welikeme, the uninstaller provided with the installer should help you a lot, since it can also remove your profiles.
welikeme

Uninstaller

Post by welikeme »

Thanks Stefan; You wrote: "If you have trouble to delete your profiles, welikeme, the uninstaller provided with the installer should help you a lot, since it can also remove your profiles."
So I check out ref: page and FAQ says;

"Does the (un)installer remove my old profile, bookmarks, cookies, etc.?
No, it currently doesn't. It'll soon, though, but I have no time to work on the installer right now. It'll be available as an option, if a previous installation of Phoenix is detected by the installer. " :)
Simple, perhaps, but confusing to me. This reads that an uninstaller is not yet ready yet, I believe you, stefan, yet what to do?

Hey, if all goes wrong I can restore Phoenix from Recycle bin and re-fetch 12/28 or 12/29 so here goes delee...
welikeme

IT WORKED

Post by welikeme »

I made it back here, thanks. stefan, I used that .exe packet and it worked like a charm. I wonder if I
should report that .zip bug?
I had to have a new password emailed so I wonder why old was not accepted with new build? Maybe
I messed up the case sensative part? Anyhoots, time to touch things up above :) On toolbars and get new Prefbar too. I clicked "add smiles" to get blush face but it won't open; how does this work?
seb

Re: Uninstaller

Post by seb »

welikeme wrote:So I check out ref: page and FAQ says;

"Does the (un)installer remove my old profile, bookmarks, cookies, etc.?
No, it currently doesn't. It'll soon, though, but I have no time to work on the installer right now. It'll be available as an option, if a previous installation of Phoenix is detected by the installer. " :)
Simple, perhaps, but confusing to me. This reads that an uninstaller is not yet ready yet, I believe you, stefan, yet what to do?
Actually, you quoted me, and not Stefan (poor Stefan, you blame him instead of blaming me :)

I should update the FAQ, I always forgot to do it. It'll be done later tonight. Sure. If I don't forget one more time.
ehume

ALERT

Post by ehume »

Build 2002-12-29 does not allow installation of xpi files. I recommend staying with 2002-12-28, which works very well.
seb

Re: Uninstaller

Post by seb »

Netsabes wrote:I should update the FAQ, I always forgot to do it. It'll be done later tonight. Sure. If I don't forget one more time.

FAQ updated.
welikeme

Sorry

Post by welikeme »

Yes, Netsabes, you are the one; thank you. Again, it worked and I'm ready to go but, that's more
proof as to how confused I was, oh? :oops:

Now the 'add smilies' seems to be working too; why glory me !