Too many recipients?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
hylikarp

Too many recipients?

Post by hylikarp »

I recently got a new (pop) email, since my hotmail account sometimes took over 48 hours to deliver my mail. Thats when I started using Thunderbird. I sent a mail to a lot of my friends telling them this, but Tb said it couldn't send mail because too many recipients. OK, there were 27 of them, but should this be a problem? Does it help to add some as "cc" or bcc"?

How many recipients are not too many, i.e. is there a fixed limit?
wildhart

Post by wildhart »

This is a limitation of your SMTP server, not Thunderbird. Adding recipients as CC or BCC wont help. The limit is set by whoever configured the SMTP server. Try resending it to only 25 people, if that doesn't work try 10, then send it to the rest.

It would be nice if TB could to this automatically for a user-defined recipient limit, as has been requested elsewhere.
hylikarp

Post by hylikarp »

Thanx :)
migmnj2k

Re: Too many recipients?

Post by migmnj2k »

I am getting the "too many recipients" message also. The response is that it is not TB but the server. I can send the same message with the same number of recipients using the same server -- comcast with IE7 or aol. How can I use TB to send a message to my list?
Daifne

Re: Too many recipients?

Post by Daifne »

Sending through webmail, which is what you are using in IE, is not the same as sending with the SMTP server. Different rules are imposed by Comcast. AOL would also have different rules than Comcast. Your best option here is to ask Comcast exactly what their limit is with SMTP.