Fx 2.0 / Cookies management

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Diorser

Fx 2.0 / Cookies management

Post by Diorser »

I don't find these detailed cookies options in Fx 2.0 (available in Fx 1.5).
Are they simply removed ? If so, why ?
How to accept only cookies from visited site with Fx 2.0 ?
Thanks.

supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

click exceptions
Diorser

Post by Diorser »

"Exceptions" is not the same because you have to choose the sites one by one.
The cookies for "original sites only" is a default configuration for any sites you visit.
Diorser

Post by Diorser »

To make it clear:

Fx 1.5

Fx 2.0

Cookie management flexibility has been decreased from Fx 1.5 to Fx 2.0 ?
Or do I miss something ?

How is it possible to "accept cookies for the originating site only" with Fx 2.0 ?
rtmjr50

Post by rtmjr50 »

Diorser wrote:To make it clear:
How is it possible to "accept cookies for the originating site only" with Fx 2.0 ?

To my knowledge, you can not ... unless their is a pref in about:config that you can change.

the reason for it is that you can set "clear privacy data" to clear cookies at end of session which almost does the same thing.

The plan is to make all "temp" changes with "clear privacy data" .... also, most folks did not understand what this really means and bitch that Firefox was broken when the site transfer them to some other site to get images and things did not work, due to the site needing cookies enable.

You can always file a "bug" and maybe it will be added back to FF3 .... one of the goals for FF3 is a "site basis" control for each website.

At this point, it's gone for FF2, unless someone creates a extension to do it (would not be surprised).

later, Richard
Rule #1: My computer is always right, the human is always the problem .. RULE #2: See Rule #1
using Win XP/SP2 (home) FF1.5.0.9 FF2.0.0.1 FF3a1 Tbird1.5.0.9 ==> Press for More Answers <==
No colours in sig please.
Diorser

Post by Diorser »

Removing cookie management features from Fx 1.5 to Fx2.0 will raise some complaints, although I admit quite tricky to manage for real average users.

However, combining Fx1.5 & Fx 2.0 with the right cookie extension is not so easy to expect the same result.
We'll see what happens.

(currently using Extended cookie manager 0.7)
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

You also used to have the option of adding a site to the exceptions list when you cleared the cookies from the list of cookies. Is there an about config that handles this now?

Edit: I should have done my homework first. You can add network.cookie.blockFutureCookies and set it to true (in either about:config or in user.js) to get this functionality back.

Now, just because SOME people don't understand what it does, doesn't mean you should remove it. Just rework that section in HELP to make it more clear! :)
jjarmak

network.cookie.cookieBehaviour

Post by jjarmak »

this looks interesting, especially option 3

Cookies are allowed based on the cookie P3P policy (Mozilla Suite only).

Will someone please look at this and advise me as to what this would do. Also how would I back up my settings prior to making this change.
Thanks
cmtost

Post by cmtost »

I believe that this does not need to be in the UI, but I strongly disagree about the default setting. Third party cookies are just a bad idea. People do not want them, they are evil. The default should be no third party cookies ever, and an about:config setting for stubborn or expert people is the only way they should be enabled. Firefox is willing to stand up for what is right even if it is inconvenient once in a while (fighting IE-only code, etc). This is the right thing to do. People sometimes want a particular website to remember their login, their preferences. But they almost never want other entities tracking them.

Your "Google masters" may argue against this. But it is obvious that it is what people want. Just ask any user "do you want some website you've never gone to keeping files on your computer so they can track you." Nobody is going to say yes.

PS Blocking 3rd party cookies has never interfered with the things I wanted to do while browsing.

Saying that clearing cookies on program close is a good alternative to blocking 3rd party cookies is silly. Yes, it is a good way to protect privacy, but it makes it a pain to stay logged in to things and have them remember your prefs. Without a way to protect certain cookies that you desire, most people will not use "clear cookies on exit." It is a nice feature for the people who want it, but it does not address the issue of normal people who want to stay logged in to things, protecting them from third party cookies.
RaiseMachine

Post by RaiseMachine »

@Diorser: Set network.cookie.cookieBehavior to 1.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.cookie.cookieBehavior
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Is it network.cookie.cookieBehavior or network.cookie.cookieBehaviour ???

Take a look at RaiseMachine's link and you will see why I ask...
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Frank Lion

Re: Fx 2.0 / Cookies management

Post by Frank Lion »

Diorser wrote:I don't find these detailed cookies options in Fx 2.0 (available in Fx 1.5).

Bloat.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

smsmith wrote:Is it network.cookie.cookieBehavior or network.cookie.cookieBehaviour ???

Take a look at RaiseMachine's link and you will see why I ask...

The pref in about:config is spelled network.cookie.cookieBehavior in
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1b2) Gecko/20060829 BonEcho/2.0b2 ID:2006082904

Behaviour must be similar to colour as far as misspelling goes; gotta watch those Brits, they're gonna ruin our language!

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Diorser

Post by Diorser »

RaiseMachine wrote:@Diorser: Set network.cookie.cookieBehavior to 1.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.cookie.cookieBehavior

Ok then there is a technical workaround for technical users.
However let's admit a visual control on option panel is smarter than reading about:config, especially if you sometimes need to modify it.
I don't remember complaints on this option of Fx 1.5.

Majority of Fx 2.0 users will then get third cookies they don't want, which is may be the goal for unclear reasons (probably marketing).
rtmjr50

Re: Fx 2.0 / Cookies management

Post by rtmjr50 »

Frank Lion wrote:
Diorser wrote:I don't find these detailed cookies options in Fx 2.0 (available in Fx 1.5).

Bloat.

"bloat" .... create a extension or dig around in about:config.

Marketing 101 ...... to many users are playing with the option and then complaining that firefox does not work correctly .... so lets remove the problem ..... but for the "advance user" ... lets leave the pref and those folks can turn it back on (or create a new extension)

Marketing 102 .... default tab setting in FF2 are still a joke .... get a extension

Marketing 103 .... wait for Firefox 3 ...

later, Richard
Rule #1: My computer is always right, the human is always the problem .. RULE #2: See Rule #1
using Win XP/SP2 (home) FF1.5.0.9 FF2.0.0.1 FF3a1 Tbird1.5.0.9 ==> Press for More Answers <==
No colours in sig please.