Amazon.com webpages fail to load 9 times of 10.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
NewAgeLink

Amazon.com webpages fail to load 9 times of 10.

Post by NewAgeLink »

Amazon.com webpages almost always fail to load. I must click refresh about 12 times before the page will load; every other time it shows a blank white window and says 'Done.' Links I click from Google, the search plugin, any amazon.com page, period.

It's extremely frustrating. I'm uninstalling Chatzilla and StumbleUpon extensions, hoping that will fix the problem.

Any ideas why it's doing this?

Listed under Extensions are:
  • DOM Inspector
  • Talkback
  • Adblock
  • DictionarySearch
  • Fasterfox
Peace,
Daniel
vl

Post by vl »

Me too

Post by Guest »

I have had the EXACT same problem, and it has only occured with Amazon.com. Any page on amazon that I try to view, including its main page will come up blank most of the time while saying everything is done. Everything works perfectly in IE. Can anyone figure out with this specific site has this problem? The links above to generic troubleshooting don't really seem to apply here. Please help, because it's very annoying to have to load IE when I want to go to amazon.
NewAgeLink

Post by NewAgeLink »

Cool, thanks. I'll look into it.
Peace,
Daniel
Connie

Post by Connie »

I've had the same problem, too. It got worse over time. Makes me wonder how many other people are having this problem with Amazon's pages failing to load...

The only thing I found that worked was to create a new profile and use that one. With a new profile, I am now down to practically no extensions & no themes other than the default. Every suggestion written about 'error loading website' has failed for me. I'm still using version 1.5.0.4.
Connie

Post by Connie »

Forgot to mention that once I created a new profile with bare bones extensions & no new themes, that I can now get anywhere on Amazon.com with no problems with pages loading. I USED to have Site Advisor, NoScript, ForecastFox and a host of other extensions. The only thing I migrated from my default profile was bookmarks.html. Now FF works at any site I go to and gets there fast.
kshane

Post by kshane »

I am having the same annoying problem with amazon. Extensions listed are Talkback, Forecast Fox, Auto Copy, and Faster Fox.
Connie

Post by Connie »

I noted both you & NewAgeLink are using Talkback and Faster Fox. Maybe there's something in either of those extensions causing the problems so you can't get Amazon to work right. I used to use Faster Fox, too. Maybe *that's* the culprit. Ever since I created a brand new profile, I've had no problems. Maybe you could try creating a new profile, kshane, & see if this helps. After creating a new profile, and with *no* extensions or themes installed (yet), try going over to Amazon to see if it'll load for you.

If it does, then you can add your extensions & themes one by one and keep going to Amazon to see if it still works. Once you install an extension & find Amazon doesn't work, then you have your culprit. I'd appreciate it if you'd let us know if my fix works for you & if you find the conflicting extension.

I even tried going to Amazon via safe mode (before creating a new profile) and I still had the problem so that told me to just create a new profile and it worked. I wasn't about to spend any more time trying to fix this "unfixable" problem. There's obviously something in our Firefox which doesn't play well with Amazon...
kshane

Post by kshane »

Connie, I uninstalled FasterFox, and still had the same problem. While my laptop has Talkback, my desktop doesn't, so it's not that one either. I can try creating a new profile, but it seems like this is something that should be fixed. After all, amazon is not exactly a minor site that can be ignored.
kshane

Post by kshane »

Just to be sure, I did try to create a new profile. It didn't resolve the problem.
Connie

Post by Connie »

I'm still using version 1.5.0.4 of Firefox, kshane. If you have a later version, that could be the problem. When creating a new profile, I had no extensions or themes at all. I figured that between the older version and no extensions & themes for my new profile was the reason I could now surf at Amazon w/o problems.

I agree with you that this is something that should be fixed. I cruise at Amazon frequently and before I found my fix, I was forced to use IE.

I don't know much about Java, but under Tools/Options/Content, everything is checked except the box which says: for the originating website only. Could there be something in your settings which is preventing you from accessing Amazon?
kshane

Post by kshane »

Connie, I'm using 1.5.0.7, and come to think of it, I didn't have these problems before stepping up to this version. My content settings are the same as yours. Apparently there's a bug in this version that I wish the developers would address.
Connie

Post by Connie »

I have 2 computers which I had installed version 1.5.0.6, then I found out that it gave strange behavior. Tried 1.5.0.7 - what a disaster. Fortunately I still have all the old FF setup exe's and used the one for 1.5.0.4 and have had no problems at all getting anywhere or not having FF connect up to the net - which was a big problem, as I read in the forums.

Whenever a new version of FF comes out, I won't install it until I read here at the forums of the others who have had problems. I'll stick with my version for now. It works, I have a/v and a firewall and spyware apps, and, knock wood, I haven't had any more problems, kshane.

I have reinstalled a few extensions - but NO Forecast Fox or Faster Fox either.

If you've had good luck with previous versions, kshane, I'd recommend going back to the one you DIDN'T have problems with. I've been using FF when it was called Firebird - version 0.7 and ya wanna know something? I never had problems with anything. Now it's a crapshoot as to whether one has problems or not.

Please keep me informed! :)
kshane

Post by kshane »

Connie, unfortunately, I have Firefox set for auto update, and I don't keep the installation files for the older versions. Do you know if you can access the older files anywhere? I never had any problems until this latest version.
Connie

Post by Connie »

First off, kshane, UNcheck any of those pesky auto update boxes, using this path: tools/options/advanced/update (tab). I have *nothing* checked on that screen. By doing it this way, YOU are in control of the auto update feature not only for FF itself, but also any themes & extensions. Keep in mind that when you install an older version, you'll have to go to that Update tab & uncheck everything as these boxes may come pre-checked. Not positive about this, tho, but it's better to be safe than sorry.......

I Googled 'older FF versions' and came up with this site, which has every version of Firefox there ever was:

http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.htm

This is just a suggestion, but I would recommend you make a sub-folder within Firefox for keeping these setup exe's. If you decide to uninstall what you already have, tho, take your newly downloaded setup exe & place it where it won't get uninstalled with the rest of FF. Ask me how I know this happens! ;) (and me on pokey dialup)

I keep all my old setup exes in a folder on another partition, so they're readily accessible whenever I need them.

When I went back to version 1.5.0.4, all that I imported in to my new profile were bookmarks.html. I started from scratch with everything else.

Seeing as how you aren't sure what is causing this inability to reach & cruise at Amazon, I would strongly recommend that you just import bookmarks and then go back & install your extensions & themes one by one.

Keep in mind that some of your extensions probably have been updated to the most recent FF version and may not work correctly with an older version. I found this not to be a problem. What I'd do is go to the extension author's website & get the extension for my version.

Hope this helps you, kshane, and once you install your older version, you'll be able to access Amazon just the way you used to. :)