Thunderbird preview pane

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
TomBC

Thunderbird preview pane

Post by TomBC »

Is there a way to disable Thunderbird preview pane so that it does not open EVERY time I open Thunderbird? I do not want to use it, but would prefer not to have to use F8 every time.

I reinstalled and the problem persists. When I first started using Thunderbirdpreview pane was never open. Suddenly it came up and stays up. I deleted all Firefox extensions.

Thanks,
Tom
Old Limpet235

Post by Old Limpet235 »

Try > view > layout > message pane. :D L.
TomBC

Re: Thunderbird preview pane

Post by TomBC »

[quote="TomBC"]Is there a way to disable Thunderbird preview pane so that it does not open EVERY time I open Thunderbird? I do not want to use it, but would prefer not to have to use F8 every time.

I reinstalled and the problem persists. When I first started using Thunderbirdpreview pane was never open. Suddenly it came up and stays up. I deleted all Firefox extensions.

Thanks,
Tom[/quote

Tools>layout>message pane is only a toggle; I would like to disable it so that it never comes up.
Thanks
Tom
Old Limpet235

Post by Old Limpet235 »

TomBC, all I can say is, it works fine in my T/Bird. I can turn it off, close, reopen & it stays off & vise versa...:shrug: Maybe a mod can assist....:D L.
TomBC

Post by TomBC »

First post of problem did not find help. I am plagued by preview pane. I do not want it to open, at all, ever. I turn it off with view>layout>uncheck messagepane. This closes it, but it recurs every time I open Thunderbird. Pervious to a recent reinstall there was no problem.

In effort to correct problem, I uninstalled Tb, did a search both on "C" and in regedit and deleted everything pertaining to Tb before reinstalling. The message pane is still there except for being able to toggle off-on. Off lasts only for this time opening Tb; preview pane is back when I next open Tb.

Thanks,
Tom
thissux

Post by thissux »

This sux and I am ceasing to use tb as a client due to this problem.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

See if this article helps: Preferences not saved - MozillaZine Knowledge Base:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Preferences_not_saved
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

thissux wrote:This sux and I am ceasing to use tb as a client due to this problem.

On a lighter note, and don't be (too) offended, but this kind of announcement is akin to threatening the world and letting everyone know that you're going to the bathroom. :D On a more serious note, you're using free software.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
FrontierDK

Post by FrontierDK »

I have checked the knowledgebase article, and it doesn't apply to me. I can easily save/change the file, and even before touching the prefs.js file, I noticed that the date/time of the file was the same as when I last closed Thunderbird.

I have yet to see Thunderbird NOT show the message preview pane on any Windows 7 x64 PC...
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

I have TB 3.0.4 running on Win7 64-bit. About 99% of the time, Preview pane stays off for me if toggled off. Very rarely, TB opens with Preview pane showing. I just toggle it off (I have a toolbar button for this, so it's easy), and it stays off.

Post by Guest »

ineuw wrote:
thissux wrote:This sux and I am ceasing to use tb as a client due to this problem.

On a lighter note, and don't be (too) offended, but this kind of announcement is akin to threatening the world and letting everyone know that you're going to the bathroom. :D On a more serious note, you're using free software.

Maybe so, but that kind of post is a waste of everybody's time. Cease and desist. We're looking for solutions here. Tell us something we DON'T know.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

You are replying to an elderly thread (started 2006) . Locking.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."