Session Saver 0.2 & Bookmark Backup 0.2

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
jareha

Post by jareha »

Weird. Bookmark Backup 0.1.2 has yet to save a backup for me. Is this extension compatible with Mozilla Firebird 0.7 RC2? Oh, and will we eventually be able to change the location of where our backups are stored?

<< Jonathan
<a href="http://www.deftone.com/blogzilla/">Blogzilla - A Blog About Mozilla</a>
Apple iBook / Mac OS X 10.4.9 / 1GHz G4 1.12GB
Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.4 (2007-05-15) / Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 (2007-06-04)
Pike

Post by Pike »

jareha wrote:Weird. Bookmark Backup 0.1.2 has yet to save a backup for me. Is this extension compatible with Mozilla Firebird 0.7 RC2?

It should be OK with RC2 as far as I'm aware, could you answer some questions please:

What OS are you using?
Are you sure it's installed okay, does it show up in the extensions list?
Is there anything strange about your config/profile location/etc.?
Do you use browser.bookmarks.file or is your bookmarks.html in the standard place?
Does the Backups folder even get created?

Thanks.

jareha wrote:Oh, and will we eventually be able to change the location of where our backups are stored?

I wasn't planning on it, but if there's a demand I might consider it.

p.s. One day I'm going to write an extension that works at version 0.1... :)
jareha

Post by jareha »

Pike wrote:What OS are you using?

Red Hat 9.0. More specifics in my signature.

Pike wrote:Are you sure it's installed okay, does it show up in the extensions list?

Installed it like I always have (installed extensions that is) and there appeared to be no problems. It shows up in the extensions list.

Pike wrote:Is there anything strange about your config/profile location/etc.?

Not that I know of.

Pike wrote:Do you use browser.bookmarks.file or is your bookmarks.html in the standard place?

Standard place.

Pike wrote:Does the Backups folder even get created?

Yeah.

<< Jonathan
<a href="http://www.deftone.com/blogzilla/">Blogzilla - A Blog About Mozilla</a>
Pike

Post by Pike »

Hmm, has anyone else successfully used Bookmark Backup on a Linux system?

I'm a Windows user who knows nothing about Linux, the Backups dir is created with a 770 permission, is this sensible or does it need to be something else?

Does your file structure look like this:

-your profile dir
|--- Backups dir
|--- bookmarks.html
|--- other stuff

Does making a manual copy of the bookmarks.html file into the Backups folder give any errors?

Maybe it's time I gave Linux another go so I can test this out, last time I installed Linux I had to disassemble half my PC in order to avoid the blank screens with flashing keyboard LEDs and the Kernel panics and even when I got it installed my mouse and network kept dropping out after 5 minutes, as you can imagine it wasn't a very inspiring introduction. :-)
jareha

Post by jareha »

Pike wrote:Does your file structure look like this:

-your profile dir
|--- Backups dir
|--- bookmarks.html
|--- other stuff

Yeah.

Pike wrote:Does making a manual copy of the bookmarks.html file into the Backups folder give any errors?

"You do not have permission to write to this folder."

I checked permissions on the folder and it's currently set to 400, meaning the owner (in this case me) only had read access. Changed permissions to 700 and the extension worked beautifully. Thank you sir!

When you fix the Linux permissions issue in an update I'll happily recommend this extension at <a href="http://www.deftone.com/blogzilla/">Blogzilla</a> (with your approval, of course).

<< Jonathan
Pike

Post by Pike »

Strange, the code passes 770 into the permissions parameter of the create function, I'm not sure why it doesn't work. I've probably done something stupid, I'll let you know if I figure out what. :-)
Pike

Post by Pike »

I've released version 0.2 of Session Saver get it at http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/#ss

This works around the problems with tabs not being saved when closing multiple windows. It now treats any windows closed within 10 seconds of each other as if they were a single window. This solves the problem of going to File->Exit and only having the tabs from one window saved as well as the problem of only saving the last window closed when you have several open and close them all down.

This probably isn't the best way to do it but I couldn't come up with anything better, please feel free to reply or PM me if you have any better suggestions (I did experiment with detecting Firebird shutdown but didn't have a lot of luck with the methods I tried, either they didn't detect it at all or they detected it too late to actually save the session information).

p.s. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to look at crash recovery or Bookmark Backup problems under Linux yet. :(
Pike

Bookmark Backup 0.2

Post by Pike »

I've added the ability to specify where you want your bookmarks to be backed up to. To alter the location go to Tools->Options->Extensions->Bookmark Backup and press the Options button. You can choose to store the backups in a folder called Backups in the same location as your bookmarks.html file or in a custom specified folder. If you enter a non-existent folder it will be created (if for some reason it can't be created BB will fall back to using the default location).

I think I may have also fixed the problem under Linux where the Backups folder was created with the wrong permissions, if anyone can confirm whether BB is now creating folders with a permission of 700 or not I'd be grateful.

Get it here:

http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/#bb
wildman

Post by wildman »

Pike wrote:Maybe it's time I gave Linux another go so I can test this out, last time I installed Linux I had to disassemble half my PC...

Try Knoppix - a very good Linux Distro on Bootable CD, that can remain isolated from your current PC or create a working directory to add new software & store settings on. http://www.knoppix.org