How do I use a default template for replies & new messag

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
McTodd

How do I use a default template for replies & new messag

Post by McTodd »

Hello,

Anyone have a suggestion as to how I can set a default template for use when I write a new message or reply.

It is not difficult to right click a template and select "Open as new..." but when I am using, say, a context menu in Windows, eg. right click a file and select "Send to mail recipient", it would be nice if it picked up a default template or gave the option to apply a template or background.

Any suggestions?

Todd
Äkiidoll

Re: How do I use a default template for replies & new me

Post by Äkiidoll »

McTodd wrote:Hello,

Anyone have a suggestion as to how I can set a default template for use when I write a new message or reply.

It is not difficult to right click a template and select "Open as new..." but when I am using, say, a context menu in Windows, eg. right click a file and select "Send to mail recipient", it would be nice if it picked up a default template or gave the option to apply a template or background.

Any suggestions?

Todd

From Mozilla 1.4.1 Help, but its
very similar for Thunderbird. :wink:
Creating and Using Templates

Templates are useful for setting the default format for messages that you send regularly, such as weekly status reports. You can save a message as a template from any window in which it is displayed, including from within a Mail compose window.

To save a message to use as a template:

1. In the Mail window, click Compose to create a new message and then set the default font, text size, text color, background color, and any other default formatting you want.

Alternatively, open an existing message that already has the formatting you want.
2. While displaying the message, open the File menu, choose Save As, then choose Template. The message is stored as a template in the Templates folder for the current mail account.

To compose a message using a template:

1. In the Mail window, select the Templates folder for the account where you created the message template.
2. Double-click the message template to open it.
3. Edit the message, then save it (to put it in the Drafts folder) or send it.

Note: Sending the message does not remove the template from the Templates folder. The template is preserved for future use.

To delete one or more unwanted message templates, begin from the Mail window:

1. Click the Templates folder for the account where you created the message templates.
2. Select the message templates that you want to delete.
3. Click Delete in the Mail toolbar.

Geck0 r0cks
Extension Manager for Moz/FB/TB
A prisoner of Christ Jesus, by His stripes I was healed
McTodd

Re: How do I use a default template for replies & new me

Post by McTodd »

Thanks, but the answer missed the point a bit.

I do not want to know how to create templates or use them for new mail messages from the client, I want to be able to apply a template to a message being sent as a reply or being sent from a context menu in an external application.

Would be handy to be able to set the default template for mail messages so that a reply or "context-menu" send has a template applied or if you could select a template. Neither of these are options as far as I can tell.

Eg. right-click on a file or object and the context menu pops up, one of these menu items is nearly always "Send to mail recipient" or from applications like Acrobat or ACAD, you can select "File, Send to mail recipient" from the menu.

When replying or even posting a new message, the ability to do something similar to "Format / Apply stationery" menu selection in Outlook Express would be nice.

When writing a new email, it would be convenient (although not as necessary as the above options) if you could select something like "New mail using . . . " and then select a template from the ones available.

Regards
Todd
Renich

Post by Renich »

I am interested in this too.

Like, creating a new email and having the template as default. So I can put my logo and info there; choose font type and stuff.

Any way?
klades

Post by klades »

s-light

Re: How do I use a default template for replies & new messag

Post by s-light »

this is a nice addon.

do someone here know where the internal template for a new mail is stored?
in witch file should i search?
my target is to change the doc typ to strict and to have some formating switched to css instead of have the old '<font>' tag used.
actual i Manipulate it all manual with the Dafizilla ViewSourceWith addon and notepadd ++ as text editor.

i hope anyone of you have an idea how i could have some nicer mail designing :-)

lighting greats
(Leuchtende Grüße)

Stefan
Dartman

Re: How do I use a default template for replies & new messag

Post by Dartman »

You are replying to a really old (2003). Please start a new thread for any issues you have.
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.