Help removing a SearchEngine from Sidebar

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
CkHere

Help removing a SearchEngine from Sidebar

Post by CkHere »

I am running Mozilla 1.7.12 and WinXP SP1, been running this config for a long, long time (except the Mozilla version has been updated each time a new version is available).
My sidebar search engines have been Google, Dmoz.org, and AskJeeves for a very long time too. Tonight I noticed a new search engine called 'LinkedIn'.

I didn't add this, and I don't know how it got added. I wonder about this change, but at this point, I just want to delete it. Is there a way to remove one search engine from my list? I can't find any info on this in help. I've tried customize sidebar - I don't see any help for removal of one item.

Can somebody give me some direction?

Thanks in advance,

Ck
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to SeaMonkey Support
raj_bhaskar

Post by raj_bhaskar »

Look in both your <SeaMonkey>/searchPlugins/ and your <profile>/searchPlugins/ folder for the .src file that matches the search engine, just delete it (making a backup if you wish) and restart SeaMonkey. The new thing should be gone.
amrad

Re: Help removing a SearchEngine from Sidebar

Post by amrad »

Hello Ck,

CkHere wrote:Is there a way to remove one search engine from my list?

Ck

Yes, there is! In the sidebar you can search "within" - a drop down list. In that list is "Edit Categories", select that and in the "Edit Categories" box that comes up, you have the ability to delete one, or more, search engines.

"Category" should show "Web" and under "Engines for this category" should be a list of the search engines in your sidebar. Just highlight the one you want to delete and click "Delete." It's that simple! ;)

Regards,

Dave.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Amrad wrote:"Category" should show "Web" and under "Engines for this category" should be a list of the search engines in your sidebar. Just highlight the one you want to delete and click "Delete." It's that simple!
I think you need an extension for that.

Phil
amrad

Post by amrad »

Hello Phil,

Philip Chee wrote:
Amrad wrote:"Category" should show "Web" and under "Engines for this category" should be a list of the search engines in your sidebar. Just highlight the one you want to delete and click "Delete." It's that simple!
I think you need an extension for that.

Phil

Not in SeaMonkey, you don't, that's how it was after installation. I thought Mozilla was the same, but I don't have it installed on my PC anymore, so I wasn't able to check!

My apologies if I am mistaken about it being in Mozilla.

Regards,

Dave.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Amrad wrote:Not in SeaMonkey, you don't, that's how it was after installation. I thought Mozilla was the same, but I don't have it installed on my PC anymore, so I wasn't able to check!
Doesn't work for me using: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060820 MultiZilla/1.8.3.0a Mnenhy/0.7.4.0 SeaMonkey/1.5a.

However if the Advanced Search Sidebar extension is installed then simply open this in the sidebar, right click on any search engine and a context menu will appear allowing you to delete that search engine..

Phil
amrad

Post by amrad »

Deleted by Amrad - Incomplete post!
Last edited by amrad on September 1st, 2006, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
amrad

Post by amrad »

Hello Phil,

Philip Chee wrote:
Amrad wrote:Not in SeaMonkey, you don't, that's how it was after installation. I thought Mozilla was the same, but I don't have it installed on my PC anymore, so I wasn't able to check!
Doesn't work for me using: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060820 MultiZilla/1.8.3.0a Mnenhy/0.7.4.0 SeaMonkey/1.5a.

However if the Advanced Search Sidebar extension is installed then simply open this in the sidebar, right click on any search engine and a context menu will appear allowing you to delete that search engine..

Phil

I definitely haven't installed any such extension! The only extensions I've installed are the en-GB Language pack and PrefBar.

I'm using SeaMonkey 1.0.4, but you have to enable "Advanced" in; Edit \ Preferences \ Navigator \ Internat Search for the "within" drop-down menu to be shown!

Regards,

Dave.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

Amrad wrote:Hello Ck,

CkHere wrote:Is there a way to remove one search engine from my list?

Ck

Yes, there is! In the sidebar you can search "within" - a drop down list. In that list is "Edit Categories", select that and in the "Edit Categories" box that comes up, you have the ability to delete one, or more, search engines.

"Category" should show "Web" and under "Engines for this category" should be a list of the search engines in your sidebar. Just highlight the one you want to delete and click "Delete." It's that simple! ;)

Regards,

Dave.

What I get is a dialog that manages categories, not search engines. Removing search engines from a category doesn't delete it, it only removes it from the category.
amrad

Post by amrad »

Hello BenoitRen,

BenoitRen wrote:What I get is a dialog that manages categories, not search engines. Removing search engines from a category doesn't delete it, it only removes it from the category.

You are correct about that! I made the incorrect assumption that "Delete" actually deleted the selected search engine, instead of just removing it from that category!

Sorry about that. :oops:

However, that may be sufficient for Ck, as it won't then show in his sidebar. It would be useful, though, if there was an option to actually delete a search engine completely.

Regards,

Dave.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

amrad wrote:It would be useful, though, if there was an option to actually delete a search engine completely.
If you installed the extension I mentioned, you should be able to delete the search engine completely!.

Phil
amrad

Post by amrad »

Hello Philip,

Philip Chee wrote:
amrad wrote:It would be useful, though, if there was an option to actually delete a search engine completely.
If you installed the extension I mentioned, you should be able to delete the search engine completely!.

Phil

Thanks for that info - I wasn't aware of that extension's capablities, so I will check it out!

Regards,

Dave.
ckhere

Post by ckhere »

amrad wrote:Hello BenoitRen,

BenoitRen wrote:What I get is a dialog that manages categories, not search engines. Removing search engines from a category doesn't delete it, it only removes it from the category.

You are correct about that! I made the incorrect assumption that "Delete" actually deleted the selected search engine, instead of just removing it from that category!

Sorry about that. :oops:

However, that may be sufficient for Ck, as it won't then show in his sidebar. It would be useful, though, if there was an option to actually delete a search engine completely.

Regards,

Dave.

Thanks to all of you for your input. My apologies for not expressing thanks for all of the replies sooner. I had to go out of town right after my post and I had a full schedule. Everything that has been stated in this topic is true on my system. I don't have a 'delete' option for a search engine..

I decided to d/l the Advanced Search Sidebar - it would allow me to delete this 'mystery' engine and also give me some Firefox perks.....

Indeed I got Firefox perks after installing - Mozilla will not run now, so I'm getting ALL the Firefox perks ALL the time!!! ](*,)

I've not had much time to do troubleshooting on Mozilla; First I did an install OVER my existing Mozilla - no change. Then I uninstalled Mozilla and did a fresh install - no change.

I get the Splash screen for Mozilla, but it won't go past that. Mozilla.exe is shown as a running process and the Splash screen doesn't go away until I kill the process. (I run Anti-virus and spyware scans regularly, and ran a special scan on program files and Docs and Settings folders when problem surfaced. All is clean)

I'm running WinXP SP1, no config changes or program installs recently. I'm certain it was the installation of the Advanced Sidebar Search that blasted Mozilla. Anybody heard of this problem, or have an idea what's up here?

Thanks again for everybody's help. (I Think!!) :?

Ck
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

I just tested by installing the advanced search sidebar 0.1.8.2 into Mozilla 1.7.13 and it works fine. Mozilla doesn't hang or anything.

Try starting The mozilla profile manager and creating a new profile.

Phil