1.5.0.6 and "Server not found" is still with us

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Crrimson,
Ah, yes, there's a Windows bug, and you have to call MS for the fix. Browser services (including IE) get cut off after a few minutes. Maybe that's what you had. On a Windows system there are so many possible causes (and most of them have nothing to do with Firefox). There's a bulletin on it somewhere in the depths of the MS Web site, and maybe the Knowledge Base over there ==>.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

That windows bug seems to be related with disableing the windows firewall (if I remember correctly).

192.168.0.1 that looks more like a gateway address.
You can check the DNS setting for your internet connection:
Open a cmd.exe window: Start > Run: cmd.exe <enter>
At the prompt type: ipconfig /all <enter>
(if you post the response then leave out your IP)

ipconfig /displaydns shows the dns cache content: you can check after a failed response from nslookup. Maybe it arrives too late.
crrimson

Post by crrimson »

Grrrrr... The server not found problem is back! :(. What to do...
IDontKnow

Post by IDontKnow »

My point exactly: narrowing it down. It looks like lots of people have this problem, but not everyone. It is not 100% reproducible, which makes it VERY difficult to pin-point. So all we have is coming up with ideas to narrow it down and then maybe someone will stumble across the solution. That's my hope and reason why I have been so patient and co-operative.

Seems like more people are reading this, so: if you have the same problem (nothing different, no general problems just infrequent time-outs) let's hear about it. The more input and the more noise, the more likely there will be a fix. I believe more people have this problem and just couldn't be bothered to complain about it - as it is infrequent. I seem to be hit more than average with a 40% failure rate for some unknown reason.

//AndyB (IDontKnow)
trolly

Post by trolly »

Suggestion: If you encounter that problem please post your OS including the patch level, your FF version and your ISP and location. Maybe we can find a pattern.
wonderboy55

Post by wonderboy55 »

ive upgraded to firefox 1.5.0.6 and devoleped the same problem i have to disconnect my cable modem for 30secs then its fine not sure if my issue is a firefox problem or ntl prob but it was fine before i upgraded. :-k
IDontKnow

Post by IDontKnow »

FF: 1.5.0.6
ISP: ~12 different ones in Germany on ISDN dial-up, single and multilink
Failure rate: ~ 40%

//AndyB (IDontKnow)
mattc

Post by mattc »

wow, that is weird, I have been having increasing problems with firefox as if gradualy the programme is becoming corrupted the more i use it. I too have ENDLESS problems with google dns and we've tried EVERYTHING (all the usual possible DNS fixes inside the actual PC)

i assumed it was the IP having issues with the DNS, but it seems not from this discussion

latest odd one is now i cant upload any audio files from firefox because it's sending them as file mime type = unknown/unknown

i'm really dissapointed it's gone this way as now i am forced back to using IE again for many tasks because i manage lots of online bands and have to upload audio mp3 files every day

Other odd stuff... today for example, every Mozilla .COM related web page loads as a blank with 'DONE' listed in the status bar.... weird

even weirder, I searched in google today (yes, it can load google reliably for days, then suddenly not find it, or hang loading it with an endless 'loading' display), and i got results AS EXPECTED for keywords which i know will return certain sites

then did an immediate refresh and google shows completely different results returned, as if something is manipulating the google results. I had to pinch myself to make sure i wasnt dreaming... all the results had changed for the same keyword!!!!!

I know the keywords i was using to search because i use them to check sites I manage to see their google rankings every day, and it's very strange to see the top 10 results suddenly replaced by totaly diferent almost unrelated results

anyways, all sorts of weirdness happening - using 1.5

i run XP PRO, no service pack at all, and no firewall (fixed ip router)
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Have you run a virus scan?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

mattc:
Behavior like that would indicate that you got some malware on your computer.
See this post for some suggestions:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 25#2389125

You can start Firefox in -safe-mode to test if it is caused by an extension.
If so then disable your extensions (Tools > Extensions: right click) until you find which one is causing it. Restart Fx after each change.

You can also try to rename the firefox.exe program to firefox1.exe:
Standard diagnostic: Other Solutions
pondejim

"Server not found"

Post by pondejim »

I am sure this is a much more common problem than has been reported in this particular forum, other MozillaFirefox forums and other forums. This has only hapened after updating from 1.5.0.2 to 1.5.0.6. Re-entry is often required a second time to access many web sites, including google. Nothing has changed with my firewall or spyware. IE works fine, with no problem. The problem started with the FireFox upgrade. I am not a computer wizz, but if it was working fine before, so why is it only a problem now. Surely you can not blame any programme previously installed and running prior to the upgrade / downgrade of FireFox. I shall not stuff around with my computer settings, but will wait for a fix / patch. I would go back to the previous version if I was not to loose my bookmarks and history etc. No mediator from Mozilla has admitted there is a problem with the latest version. It is about time that some-one did. I agree with you VanillaMozilla that there are millions of users of FireFox, with numerous who are prepared to "re-enter", who do not wish to complain as it is freeware, who are unaware of the Mozilla Forums, or have reverted to other browsers such IE, which all work without this problem. So, VanillaMozilla, without giving me all the technical stuff, why is 1.5.0.6 "broken"???????????
trolly

Post by trolly »

Can not tell. My "1.5.0.6" connected to DSL broadband never ever gave me a temporary "Server not found" error.

If you are on dial-up then it may be a timing problem.
pondejim

Post by pondejim »

Yes, I am on dial up, but never had a problem until the up-grade to the current version.
trolly

Post by trolly »

If all people which have the problem are on dialup either something has changed with the timing or a windows update which was scheduled at the same time is the problem. Don't know what it could be.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
jm1515

Post by jm1515 »

pondejim wrote:Yes, I am on dial up, but never had a problem until the up-grade to the current version.

+1 on this. On my SO's ME-based system, this is becoming a real pain.
Does not happen nearly as much on my Win98SE clunker, but it still happens.
We both use ELink dialup and I'm going to try a bunch of the suggestions above....but my brain is fried from reading all the permutations.....
I'm really confoozed because sometimes IE can 'find the server', othertimes I get a DNS error.
Sometimes I can push 'Try again' in FFx and load the page, sometimes not.
Sometimes I must stop loading the page, disconnect, then re-connect and re-load & all is well w/ FFx.

I really, really wish I could get a DSL or cable hookup out here in the styx.....but I really don't remember having this issue at all until I updated to 1.5.06....
jmagda
Deep in the OH wasteland...