Bookmark Backup and Places (and Classic Sidebars 0.7)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Columba

Post by Columba »

Thanks for the update Pike. If I had known this earlier, I would not have suffered for so long :D
It works fine. I have set it to two days.
DeepFreeze3

Post by DeepFreeze3 »

Has Bookmark Backup 4.2 Alpha 2 stopped working for anybody? It stopped wanting to, for me, back up anything after 4/9/2006. Not that it mattered much. Because of a bug associated with Bookmarks, it can't be backed up anyway, so the extension is pretty much useless until its fixed.
Pike

Post by Pike »

DeepFreeze3 wrote:Has Bookmark Backup 4.2 Alpha 2 stopped working for anybody? It stopped wanting to, for me, back up anything after 4/9/2006. Not that it mattered much. Because of a bug associated with Bookmarks, it can't be backed up anyway, so the extension is pretty much useless until its fixed.

Could you try enabling bookmarkbackup.loggingEnabled and then see if there are any errors reported in the log file (in your profile folder).
monabonejakon

Post by monabonejakon »

Now that "Places" are gone in Firefox 2.0a2... i wonder if Pike could help us with an update for Advanced Search Sidebar extension.

Just a thought...
echoes

Post by echoes »

can anyone confirm this?
this is the only page i've noticed it on, but i believe classic sidebars modifies css or chrome (or something else). the page (with classic sidebars open) is displayed incorrectly, but if you close it, it looks fine. (this is on trunk btw).

http://goodmerge.sourceforge.net/About.php

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060626 Minefield/3.0a1 - Build ID: 2006062610 [cairo]
oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

Very nice extension, Pike! I l knew since those great extensions you pumped out in '04 that you weren't done yet. :D

I do have an idea for an alternative shortcut w/o overwriting built-in shortcuts: Ctrl+~ (tilda) :D I really hate anything that has to do w/ the shift key. I think the Ctrl+Shift combo has been the worst thing ever invented for the keyboard. Ctrl+Alt I can bare.

Also, this is probably Places bug related, but is that why there is no option for group by 'Date & Site'? I'm guessing that's why you invented the hidden pref right?
Current: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b2pre) Gecko/2007112000 Minefield/3.0b2pre
For kicks: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6
Pike

Post by Pike »

oldtimer wrote:Very nice extension, Pike! I l knew since those great extensions you pumped out in '04 that you weren't done yet. :D

I do have an idea for an alternative shortcut w/o overwriting built-in shortcuts: Ctrl+~ (tilda) :D I really hate anything that has to do w/ the shift key. I think the Ctrl+Shift combo has been the worst thing ever invented for the keyboard. Ctrl+Alt I can bare.

Is tilda on its own key on your keyboard? On my UK layout keyboard it's above ' just to the left of the Return key.
oldtimer wrote:Also, this is probably Places bug related, but is that why there is no option for group by 'Date & Site'? I'm guessing that's why you invented the hidden pref right?

Yep, Places doesn't seem to have a way to replicate that feature (not that I could find anyway) and I don't fancy trying to recreate it from scratch myself.
oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

Pike wrote:Is tilda on its own key on your keyboard? On my UK layout keyboard it's above ' just to the left of the Return key.

I just like calling that key the 'tilda' key even though that's technically incorrect. But I've seen multiple gaming software [Doom] and other places in general refer to that key as the tilda key w/o requiring the use of shift... So it just stuck.

If anything I think it is the 'accent' key. B/c the key to left of 'Enter' [the same on US keyboard] is apostrophe. ~=` / "='. But I'm not so sure anymore b/c you can't slap the accent mark on top of any old letter... So whatever a grave accent does [according to Character Map], that's what I think we should use.

Pike wrote:Yep, Places doesn't seem to have a way to replicate that feature (not that I could find anyway) and I don't fancy trying to recreate it from scratch myself.

And I wouldn't dare ask of it from you. :D
Current: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b2pre) Gecko/2007112000 Minefield/3.0b2pre
For kicks: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6
Pike

Post by Pike »

OK, I'll look at adding the shortcut next time I update this extension (not sure when that will be though).
GigMormon

Post by GigMormon »

What happened to Bookmark Backup? The web site is not there any more, but sends you to Firefox.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

From another thread
Pike wrote:My hosting package expired, since I want to move to a new host but haven't had a chance to find one yet I've temporarily redirected my domain to getfirefox.com. My extensions are still available at the Add-ons Mirror (though I notice the version of BB they're mirroring is not the latest version).

I looks like the version has been updated
http://forum.addonsmirror.net/index.php ... ark+backup
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"