Thunderbird won't let me send or reply to emails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Daren303

Thunderbird won't let me send or reply to emails

Post by Daren303 »

I am running Thunderbird on Win XP home SP2 and imported all my account settings from OE but every time I try to send or reply I get an error saying that the SMTP setting is wrong or my SMTP server is not accepting connections, I have checked the settings for each account (I have 5 accounts) and they all seem to be correct, also I have verified that the accounts are working fine with OE so I know it is not a server problem, any ideas?
hollygracenelson

send an email

Post by hollygracenelson »

I got a message from Mozilla yesterday that I needed to download new stuff. After the download, I could not send an email.

Holly
hollygracenelson

send an email

Post by hollygracenelson »

I got a message from Mozilla yesterday that I needed to download new stuff. After the download, I could not send an email.

Holly
Philip Melo

Post by Philip Melo »

I have found this problem too.
My Thunderbird shows the same error. Can anyone give some help here?
Chuck Evans

Post by Chuck Evans »

Same error here, cannot send or reply to messages after the update.
Chuck Evans,
Executive Director of Instruction
www.MedicusGolfInstitute.com
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

I can't reproduce the error, so I need more information:

Some more general info that might be helpful is:
- Thunderbird version
- Operating system
- Extensions installed (if any)
- Themes installed (besides the default)
- Firewall
- Anti virus

And let's not forget the usual suspects:
- Have you recently compacted your folders? (The correct answer is yes, see also Compacting, why it is a good idea.)
- How many read messages are there in your Inbox? (The correct answer is none.)
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

This is Daren303's topic. All the rest of you please start new topics. This is not fair to Daren303 who has a different problem.

Daren303, Answer Freee!!'s questions and also give us the exact wording of your error message and the name of your email provider.
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

And the rest of you please also provide the requested information in your new topic start.

SMTP Errors when Sending email

Post by Guest »

Same problem here, although I cannot relate it to download of anything--I was gone last weekend, my Internet was down while I was gone. When I returned, the Internet is back, but my Thunderbird consistently will not send email -- gets them OK though. All SMTP errors of one kind or another. I have tried reseetting the SMTP settings and made sure they matched those of the other computer in this house that is successfully sending messages using Thunderbird.

My details are: Thunderbird v 1.0.6
OS Win XP
Using Norton Internet Security 2006 with Nortton Antivirus 12.2.0.13
Using one TBird Extension, to make sig files (those sig files not applied in this email)

The affacted emails are on my Earthlink accounts (2) as well as my own domains's email accounts (4, over two different domains)....

I'd appreciate any help as my business is impacted by this.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Once is enough. I split and locked the other two. Also, as we told the other people, START A NEW TOPIC. This is very unfair to Daren303 who's topic this is.
Daren303

Post by Daren303 »

@Freee!!

TB Version 1.5.0.7
OS Win XP Home SP2
No extensions
No themes
Standard XP firewall (the one that comes with XP)
Anti Virus AVG Free version 7.1.405

To give a bit more info, I have just got a new laptop and don't really like OE, having used Firefox for a while now on my old computer I installed it on my new laptop, I then found out about Thunderbird and thought I'd give it a try so downloaded and installed it, the laptop has virtually nothing on it software wise other than XP, Firefox, Thunderbird, and AVG. I exported the account settings from OE on my old PC and imported these into Thunderbird, I can get mail on all 5 accounts ok, but when it comes to replying to or creating new emails I get this error:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sending of Message Failed

The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server mail.btinternet.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The SMTP settings are correct since these work with OE (unless I am overlooking a setting in TB?)

I also have about 15 read emails in my inbox - Did not think this could be a problem though? I have not compacted any folders. I am new to Thunderbird so have never had any experience with it and this is a clean install on a new machine. I really don't want to have to rely on OE as my email app hence my installation of TB, but obviously I need to be able to send and reply to emails but it is a little frustrating that the imported settings do not work "out of the box" so to speak. In all fairness though I am not a "software guy" so any help would be appreciated. My email providers are BT and Orange.

TIA

Daren303
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Daren303 wrote:The SMTP settings are correct since these work with OE (unless I am overlooking a setting in TB?)

Not necessarily. Imported settings from Outlook and OE sometimes get corrupted. The best thing to do is to re-enter them.

I also have about 15 read emails in my inbox - Did not think this could be a problem though? I have not compacted any folders. I am new to Thunderbird so have never had any experience with it and this is a clean install on a new machine. I really don't want to have to rely on OE as my email app hence my installation of TB, but obviously I need to be able to send and reply to emails but it is a little frustrating that the imported settings do not work "out of the box" so to speak. In all fairness though I am not a "software guy" so any help would be appreciated. My email providers are BT and Orange.

TIA

Daren303

Which SMTP server are you using? BT or Orange? Who are you physically connected to?

Did you import your messages from OE? If you did, compacting now is highly recommended.
Daren303

Post by Daren303 »

Ok thanks will try re-entering them.

I have tried both BT and Orange, BT is my ISP.

I did not import any emails from OE just the account settings, also I only have about 15 emails in my inbox, the rest that I have recieved in the 3 days since using TB have been deleted, the deleted trashcan has also been emptied.

I have checked to ensure that nothing is blocking TB and it is all ok, also my mail providers both use port 25 and typical settings - ie no special auth settings etc.

Thanks

Daren303
Daren303

Partial Success!

Post by Daren303 »

Ok, I have managed to get one of my email accounts working by setting the outgoing server to the same username and password for that account, but the problem is how do I get my other 4 email accounts (1 of which is on a different server) to send mail as they have different user names and passwords? Does this mean that I simply create 4 more outgoing accounts with the relevant passwords and usernames then assign each to the correct account? I guess I assumed that the OE imported settings would have taken care of this, so basically if I am correct when I imported the account settings it only acknowledged the incoming settings?

Thanks for your help

Daren303