FF 1.5.0.7 and ZA - still can't load a website

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
trolly

Post by trolly »

And there is no entries anymore for FF in the program control list? Once i read about a similar problem and the solution was a forgotten Norton Internet Security firewall ...
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
D-Ron

Post by D-Ron »

I delete the entry for FF.

I launch FF 1.5.0.7

No go.

I quit ZA

FF 1.5.0.7

I launch ZA again. FF is there in the list as 1.8.0.2, last modified 14 August 2006 :S

Something a little bizarre is happening.

Paul
trolly

Post by trolly »

I agree. Maybe you can try to remove and reinstall the firewall.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Ian Z

Post by Ian Z »

Well, I just did a complete uninstall of Fx.

Then I did a complete uninstall of ZA.

Then I did a fresh install of Fx.

Then I did a fresh install of ZA.

I have to redo all of my program permissions, but FIREFOX IS NOW WORKING !!!
(1.5.0.7 with current version of ZA free)

Guess sometimes you just have to use a little dynamite.
Thanks everybody for all your advice.
trolly

Post by trolly »

:-) I only knew about Norton to screw up. But - as proven - every program can screw up.
VinDSL
Location: Location: Arizona (USA) Site Admin: Disipal Site Site Admin: Nuke Cops Site Admin: Lenon.com

Post by VinDSL »

Hrm... Yes, indeed! Almost forgot about this... :)

Well, I just checked ZA -- been about 24 hours -- and now I have 3 Fx settings!

One is for the browser I'm using now (normal).

One is for this browser on Z-drive (hello!).

And one is for "Mozilla Firefox - Portable Edition" dated 07/27/2006 (deleted this last night).

The Z-drive thing is actually a TrueCrypt mounted RAM-drive that I use for Firefox Portable. The thing is, I have NOT used Firefox Portable since I deleted the ZA entries last night -- and I've never, ever, run regular ol' Firefox using TrueCrypt on Z-drive!

And, I haven't run "Mozilla Firefox - Portable Edition" for a year!

Soooo, something is definitely wrong with ZA (or W2K). Firefox 1.5.0.7 could not possibly have resurrected those old settings. How would it know I ran those versions on a RAM-drive?

Interesting! ;)
VinDSL
Location: Location: Arizona (USA) Site Admin: Disipal Site Site Admin: Nuke Cops Site Admin: Lenon.com

Post by VinDSL »

Okay, I just shutdown Fx, deleted the extra Fx settings, did a hard reboot of W2K, and checked ZA before starting Fx -- and I had 2 Fx entries again -- one on C-drive and one on Z-drive.

So, that points the finger at ZA!

I'm going to check my W2K reg and see if these things are laying dormant in there... ;)
Electron

Post by Electron »

I'm having a variation of this problem. After updating to 1.5.0.7 I can load web pages except for any that are secure (https). I get an alert indicating that I cannot connect because SSL has been disabled (which it is not). This all occurs when I'm logged on (Win2k) as a user without administrator rights. When I log on as administrator I am allowed to connect to these sites! Very frustrating to say the least. Any ideas on this one?
trolly

Post by trolly »

D-Ron

Post by D-Ron »

trolly wrote:I agree. Maybe you can try to remove and reinstall the firewall.

OK; dumped ZA using the standard uninstall. Shut down to complete uninstall. Rebooted with fresh ZA (same version).

FF now hits the wall, I accepted it. Everything OK :)

Hope this heps others.
Electron

Post by Electron »

Thanks trolly, that worked. My profile was corrupted so I had to create a new one. Back in business.

trolly wrote:http://kb.mozillazine.org/SSL_is_disabled
trolly

Post by trolly »

:-)
VinDSL

Post by VinDSL »

Okay, finally! Here's the deal... There is nothing wrong with Firefox. The problem is ZA.

There have been many reports about this problem since the release of ZoneAlarm version 3. There is a bug in ZA that will cause its database to become corrupt. This usually happens after you upgrade to a new ZA release, but it can also happen after you restart your computer, etc.

ZoneLabs recommends that you uninstall ZoneAlarm, delete all files in the Internet Logs folder and reinstall ZoneAlarm. But, the problem has been narrowed down to one specific file (IAMDB.RDB). Here is an easier way to solve the problem:
  • Shut down ZoneAlarm
  • Open the folder C:\Windows\Internet Logs
    (or C:\WinNT\Internet Logs if you're running Windows NT or 2000).
  • Delete the file IAMDB.RDB
  • If the file BACKUP.RDB exists delete that file as well
  • Restart your computer
  • Start ZoneAlarm (the file IAMDB.RDB will automatically be recreated)
Note that most of ZoneAlarms configuration settings will return to default so you may want to make a note of your current settings.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Good work, VinDSL. Is there a reference to the original ZoneLabs documentation?
VinDSL

Post by VinDSL »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Good work, VinDSL. Is there a reference to the original ZoneLabs documentation?

Yeah, but it's long since disappeared:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/s ... p#10issues

I searched the reg before going to bed, last night, and couldn't find anything in there -- and nothing in the ZA folder. I kept doing searches on my HD, 'cause I knew there had to be a DB somewhere. Eventually, I found it in the Internet Logs folder.

Once I knew where ZA was storing this info, it was a simple matter to Google the file names -- and I found probs galore!

I pretty much did a copy n' paste from this obscure web page, circa 2002:

http://visualize.phenominet.com/visualz ... .htm#IAMDB

Hope you guys don't mind, but I figured, why reinvent the wheel?

Having already done the detective work, that's how I would have worded it anyway... ;)