[Ext] Unified Back-/Forward Button 0.6 [Aug 25]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Change wrote:Why did you choose to default to the current sorting order, instead of copying Internet Explorer 7's sorting order?

Because at the time I wrote this extension, I had only seen screen shots of how IE7 does it - and on those you can't really discern the sorting order. Furthermore it seemed pretty natural to me to sort the entries chronologically ascending (and still does). OTOH I don't really target IE7 converts anyway but rather Firefox users who also want that feature (and most probably won't mind or even know the difference).
Change

Post by Change »

Yeah I noticed that about the screenshots not being clear too when I wanted to find out how IE7 handles it. I can see why IE7 does it this way though: email, history and file/results sorted lists are usually "newest-first" too. Now that IE7 has settled on this, wouldn't it make more sense to follow a standard set by IE7 in this behaviour?

I can see why your current sort order could make sense (list expanding downwards with each item added to the back history), but I can't really think of other examples where the latest entry comes last..? Isn't it better for usability & accessibility when the latest entry comes first too, as you're usually not going back to the first (oldest) item in the list but to the previous or the one before the previous item? (less mouse movement)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Change wrote:email, history and file/results sorted lists are usually "newest-first" too.

Thunderbird defaults to oldest-first, and so does Windows Explorer when you first order by date.

Change wrote:Isn't it better for usability & accessibility when the latest entry comes first

That's a good argument. I'll think about it.
Change

Post by Change »

zeniko wrote:
Change wrote:email, history and file/results sorted lists are usually "newest-first" too.

Thunderbird defaults to oldest-first, and so does Windows Explorer when you first order by date.

Hmm that's true, forgot about that. Been a while since I've used Thunderbird but I can remember that I didn't understand why that was the default; I've always changed it. Who would want to look at the oldest emails first, making you scroll all the way down to see which emails had just arrived in your inbox?!
MrMystery

Post by MrMystery »

Change wrote:Isn't it better for usability & accessibility when the latest entry comes first

I'm with Change, for what it's worth...
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Alright, <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/unibafo.xpi">version 0.4.5</a> reverses the page list order to what makes more sense from a usability point of view and it additionally shrinks the maximum list length to 11 pages which have proven sufficient in my tests.

Note that although this version installs fine in Firefox 2.0b2, it doesn't look good with the current state of the visual refresh. However that's nothing I'll tackle before they get the new theme into a more reasonable shape. Until that point, add the following line to your userChrome.css against the worst effect:

Code: Select all

#unibafo > toolbarbutton { -moz-binding: url(chrome://global/content/bindings/toolbarbutton.xml#toolbarbutton) !important; }
Change

Post by Change »

Yay thanks zeniko! :)
MrMystery

Post by MrMystery »

Change wrote:Yay thanks zeniko! :)

Seconded!
ervit

Post by ervit »

0.5 installation gives me an error - invalid file hash.

Version 0.4 works like a charm

Running FF 1.5.0.7 (Noia extreme)

I don't probably need the 0.5 with FF1.5 but the Update Notifier extension keeps showing me that an update is available.

Vit
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

ervit wrote:0.5 installation gives me an error - invalid file hash.

That's an issue between your Firefox and my server. If that happens, you'll either have to clear the browser cache before you try installing it again - or just download it and install it from your hard disk.
ervit

Post by ervit »

Thanks!

Vit
alta88

Post by alta88 »

zeniko wrote:Alright, <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/unibafo.xpi">version 0.4.5</a> reverses the page list order to what makes more sense from a usability point of view and it additionally shrinks the maximum list length to 11 pages which have proven sufficient in my tests.

since this also affects the extremely useful userchrome.js Tab History in the context menu, is there a way to customize this to override the 11 and add any number of pages? i have about 30 pages on a particular tab and can very quickly access the right page with rt-click.

thanks much.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

alta88 wrote:is there a way to customize this to override the 11 and add any number of pages?

Sure, just set the pref <code>extensions.unibafo.max_length</code> to your preferred value in about:config.
ervit

Post by ervit »

Hi, it's me with my annoying questions again :)

After I installed v. 0.5 (after 0.4), the list got reversed (earlier items at the top in the Back menu). And this even with the code in userChrome.css as described on page 1. What should I do to put the most recently used pages on top?

Thanks,

Vit
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

ervit wrote:What should I do to put the most recently used pages on top?

Just remove the userChrome.css snippet. Since version 0.4.5, the most recently visited page is now at the top by default and that snippet reverses the order to how it was for version 0.4 and earlier.