[Ext] Web Search Pro 2.7 Released 20070810

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

Thanks for the update, Captain.
Two new (small!) display problems (v.2.3.9 from the op):
1. The options window sometimes doesn't display properly - freezes on a tab, can't switch tabs. Or it would just display a blank panel and freeze in this state. Takes a long time after clicking on close button to close the window.
2. In the Options window (if it displays properly), - i chose not to load available engines on opening this window - the blank bottom part covers buttons.
3. A slightly bigger nuisance - there's a bright royal blue square border around my rounded search bar:

Again, thank you for taking the time out of your real life to update!
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

Great, v.2.3.9.1beta - display probs are fixed, thank you!
Two thingies though:
1. The Options window - if i resize it (smaller), it cuts the display (bottom buttons may disappear, appear partially, etc).
2. Zones still don't disappear or disappear sporadically. It really is quite a pain to use, as much as i'd like to. Let's say i type in a textbox; i want to drag a word from one place to another within that box, - Zones appear and i sit with that word hanging on the tip of my cursor till my finger goes blue. Sometimes, Zones will disappear but as soon as i move the word - here we go again, Zones!
Still a great extension, thank you!
BTW, will it work with 2.0? I really like the categorized sorting and the idea of Zones, and hope you'll work it out eventually (no hurry!).
Lost User 116738

Post by Lost User 116738 »

Is it conflict with super dragngo ?
old Captain Caveman

Post by old Captain Caveman »

@makondo
1. I do think I need to set an absolute minimum size. The size I have choosen is that of the longest search engine (I could find) + a shortcut key. So if you size the window smaller than that, things will disappear...
2. Should now definitely be fixed when holding down SHIFT in version 2.3.9.6. But... For some reason this (dragging text within a textbox) does not work if you have Super Drag and Go installed (I think the rest of it is now compatible). I will try to fix it of course, but as I have said before supporting default Firefox functionality is more important to me than support for multiple extensions that try to do different thing on the same place...

@Nxqd3051990, well, not really, except for the part in the answer to makondo above.
old Captain Caveman

New version 2.4 has just got approved by the Mozilla Reviewers team, but unfortunately my network card died last night so my server (and thus the list of available Search Engines) will be down untill I have repaired (replaced) it.

Sorry all for the inconvenience.
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

Thanks for keeping informed! I was wondering - couldn't connect to the site for couple of days. BTW, i got the update yesterday (through Update Notifier ext. - Moz Addons?). Thank you!

Oh, and another BTW while i'm at it - my thread in WSP forum about menu list/submenus on the right side. It's now on the left again - i'm using heavily modified Outlook Silver theme - except for Other group, that one jumps to the right side, interesting (but nothing to worry about!).
Elminster

Drop Zones and Super Drag and Go

Post by Elminster »

Hi,
I'm using Web Search Pro (WSP) and Super Drag and Go (SDG) for quite a while. But even since I didn't install a new plugin/extension (or the like) today they just don't work together anymore (a classic - people saying they didn't change anything :D). Maybe a FF crash was responsible (also a classic).

However strange it is, I now found out, that SDG does still work if I press the shift key while dragging. It also works by just disabling the drop zones. So the shift function - which obviously is _not_ new - "seems" to be the problem - why so ever...

I got so used to dragging links as well as to the drop zones and I really don't want to miss any of them, so a fix would be really appreciated :)

Maybe things would be easier if WSP would:
a) also support opening dragged links the way SDG does (just a new tab in background or foreground)
b) also search text dragged on empty space in the currently selected search engine. This is very useful because most people (at least I guess so) mainly use one search engine - so why waste space on a drop zone instead of using the "white space" as a global drop zone for the selected engine?

So far and sorry for my bad english - it's really late here ;)

EDIT: Yes, really late... Just read that my "b)"-suggestion already is integrated. But if I enable to show empty drop zones, all the should-be empty zones are filled with the last added engine? Oh, and after dropping text the search bar does still switch to the last used engine :)
old Captain Caveman

Hi Elminster,

the current idea is that if you press SHIFT while dragging, WSPro does nothing with it, so one can use the default (or other extensions') drag & drop functions. So it's not strange that SDG works when you hold down shift, it is for your convenience.
But... Since WSPro has nothing to do with links, it seems unnecessary to have to press SHIFT for it, so I will fix that in the next update.

The "Show empty Drop Zones" feature always fills all empty zones with the search engine you have last used, so the currently selected one in the toolbar.

I don't think I understand what you mean by "Oh, and after dropping text the search bar does still switch to the last used engine", dropping/pasting text on the search bar does not switch an engine, it just searches using the currently selected engine. Could you explain the question, if there is one, again please?
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

Thanks for your answer Captain :)

I don't think I understand what you mean by "Oh, and after dropping text the search bar does still switch to the last used engine", dropping/pasting text on the search bar does not switch an engine, it just searches using the currently selected engine. Could you explain the question, if there is one, again please?

Sorry, it was really late. I wanted to say: If you drop text on a _drop zone_ it still does switch to this search engine in the toolbar. So you don't really have a default search engine for the "empty" fields, because you have to "manually" switch back in the toolbar. This never occurred to me because with SDG I just used the standard FF search engine toolbar as default engine for dragged text.

I hope that this is more clear :)
old Captain Caveman

The option to not switch the current engine when searching using another engine is already implemented, but (cause of the previous translations where still in progress) an option in the Options window has not yet been added.

You can switch the setting manually in your about:config as follows:

- In Firefox go to the address about:config (type it where you would normally enter a website address), a huge list opens.
- In the "Filter" box, type: mmsearch the list will be filtered so that only the WSPro preferences are shown.
- Double click on extensions.mmsearch.mmsearch-switchengineonuse and set the value to false.

And version 2.4.1 will have a decent option for it.

Was that it?
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

Hmm, yes this would be the way I want it, but somehow FF stops reponding if I set that value to true :(

Another question: I tried a reinstallation, but I'm not sure how "clean" the uninstallation is - for example my selected search engines still exist after doing this. Should I remove something manually? Hmm, maybe my FF is just messed up a little :(

Anyway - thanks for your answers so far :)
old Captain Caveman

When you uninstall any extension, all it's preferences still stay in Firefox. Unfortunately there is no real way (yet) for us developers to cleanly remove preferences when the extension is being uninstalled...

After uninstalling WSPro you could close Firefox, and manually remove all preferences starting with extensions.mmsearch. from your prefs.js file. This will remove them for real, and if you would then install WSPro again, all settings will be the default ones again. Read more about your Ff configuration in the MozillaZine Knowledgebase.

It might fix this problem you have, but I'm really not sure... You could also just wait a couple of days more for the update including a normal option for it.
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

You could also just wait a couple of days more for the update including a normal option for it.

I think I will do so. For now I have disabled the drop zones, because I "need" the link dropping from SDG. It's a too convenient way to check several results from a search in new tabs (search > drag, drag, drag. drag > check and close each tab...) in comparison to using many engines by dragging ;)

Still, I really miss the zones :)

Thanks for your patience and answers, I'lll wait :)
old Captain Caveman

Version 2.4.1. is available and includes the option to not switch the default search engine when you use another one, and fixes the problem with draging of links... Fixes... WSPro just does nothing with them anymore... It also adds the option to disable starting a search when you drop or paste text on the WSPro toolbar, and fixes a huge bug (strange no one did notice anything strange...) with searches from the context menu.

Again, only available in en-US untill the next "official" release.
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

Captain,
i've been wondering for the longest time - how (if possible) can we transfer our searches from profile to profile? It takes a long, long time to set them up every time. Would copying all the extensions.mmsearch lines from pref.js do it? What's the easiest way (if any)? TIA!