1.5.0.6 and "Server not found" is still with us

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

That's why those arguments always fail to impress. Most statements like that are mutually contradictory, so they can't be right. We see lots of these arguments with each release, but this is the first time I've seen a single user contradict himself. :lol:
alta88

Post by alta88 »

VanillaMozilla wrote:...

absolutely ridiculous to think this is the solution to the 'global' problem of likely transient network errors. millions of people are going to do this? sure we can continue to apply bandaids instead of a pushing for a fix and a more robust and intelligent Fx.

trolly wrote:I'm absolutely sure that no one touched the DNS code in FF for years. The time stamp for the code mentioned earlier is back in 2005. So why should it break now?

trolly this is indeed curious from a diagnosis perspective. in any event, it's clear from the code you posted that Fx is very fragile, failing on a non-zero RC on first try. it's not technically a bug but much worse, a design flaw for a networked app. Fx needs to examine, test, and carefully consider what to do to a non-zero RC from the OS level network call. it needs to display the RC and error message to the user, with options.

thanks for finding and adding a patch to that bug. in the future, we need to not only describe a workaround, but push for the fix.

pondejim was posting with 1.5.0.7 as Mods can see user agents ... first warning for insulting a mod as you being given a second chance
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Alta, please remember, this is a user support forum. <b>It looks like we got IDontKnow off and running,</b> and it wasn't made any easier by all the extraneous arguments. This is not the forum for this discussion, and it's not a good place for a poisoned pen. It interferes with user support.

In the future, folks, can we confine these design critiques and technical discussions to a separate thread in the Bugs Forum? It's OK to put a link in the Support Forum.

EDIT: Oh. This <i>is</i> the Bugs Forum. Ha-ha. Point still applies, though. :)
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on September 19th, 2006, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trolly

Post by trolly »

I only want to point out that FF is using an OS service here and the amount of patches lately to WXP can cause this problem. As far as i see mostly people with WXP are having this problem. Rarely with W2K and i have seen none still with W9x who has this problem. And you have also to regard the amount of machines running IIS which are also getting all the patches. This may lead to a timing problem which causes this problem only in certain environments.
The problem with the "lazy" error checking is only a problem if someone can proof that there is only a temporary error and not a fatal.
I have made a dnslookup tool with GUI (works currently only in WXP!) you can try:
http://www.trolly.homepage.t-online.de/wdnslookup.exe

You should clear the DNS cache before trying it to get a real result. Otherwise it will take the result from the DNS cache.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
IDontKnow

Post by IDontKnow »

Hahaha, I love how people DO do their homework. Gottcha!

Back to my tests. I used a different ISP and did the Google Test. Opened appr 14 Tabs and got the usual 5 failures.

Switched off, entered the University address for DNS and logged back on. Then did the same thing again using the next page of links. Clicked on 14 odd links and lo and behold: every single one ran. No failures, no Server not found. No Try again.

Nice.

Well, it looks like all the testing paid off. Thanks for your help. Good one, team!

Oh, my apologies: I did increase the nslookup timeout to 3 seconds, but forgot to mention it, as it had no effect.

Now I'll wait for a DSL connection and then upgrade to .7

//AndyB
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Nice program. You can run it from a batch file to automatically flush the DNS.:

ipconfig /flushdns
wdnslookup.exe
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

IDontKnow wrote:But if this proves to be the answer, then what is the solution for the GP? The general public? Not everyone with this problem can find an alternate server. Or can they?

I don't see why not. It's not ideal in terms of helping Granny to fix her computer, but there should be good DNS servers reachable from anywhere or almost anywhere. I'll leave it to the networking programmers to figure out whether some weak links can be eliminated in other ways.
trolly

Post by trolly »

If i can find out how to flush the DNS cache before calling the DNS ...
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Doesn't the batch file do it? I think it runs sequentially, not simultaneously.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

IDontKnow wrote:Well, it looks like all the testing paid off. Thanks for your help. Good one, team!

It's good that you got going. It's good that you so patiently ran all the tests. With the help of Trolly's DNSlookup tool, thanks to your meticulous testing, I think support for this kind of problem will get a lot easier.
pondejim

Post by pondejim »

Your saying the same sort of thing people claim about any minor release as each new one comes out as You claimed the previous version (1.5.0.6) was broken in the past but now say it worked fine compared to 1.5.0.7.

James / Moderator. I shall correct my statement. FF 1.5.0.2 was working fine. It was the upgrade to FF 1.5.0.6 which was "broken". With the upgrade to FF 1.5.0.7 it is still "broken". I repeat, 1.5.0.2 was working fine.
trolly

Post by trolly »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Doesn't the batch file do it? I think it runs sequentially, not simultaneously.
Sure, but you can not clear it from inside wdnslookup. I have added a button which simply calls "ipconfig /flushdns". ;-) I'll upload it later.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Pondejim,
If anything goes wrong, it often happens during an update. That may mean that something happened during the update, or in this case it may mean that there's a firewall problem. But it doesn't mean that there's a new error in the code.

As we (sort of) explained before, this sort of argument for just about every kind of problem with every version, and these arguments simply cannot be true for every version. More importantly, this argument doesn't help get your browser working again, and it rarely helps to find bugs. If there's a bug, Trolly will find it -- right, Trolly?
trolly

Post by trolly »

:oops: I'm not that confident. ;-) I'll upload my modified tool later and maybe the resolution time will tell us something.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Uploaded now. Button for cache clearing and response time display. http://www.trolly.homepage.t-online.de/wdnslookup.exe