[Ext] Unified Back-/Forward Button 0.6 [Aug 25]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
ervit

Post by ervit »

Thanks again, zeniko, you're my hero!

Vit
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

zeniko,
I don't know if you're still supporting this extension or not, but I would like to know if it's possible to add a menu item to the history list to clear the list?
I was thinking maybe it could be done with userChrome.js.

Regards,
Doug
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

dougeeebear wrote:to add a menu item to the history list to clear the list?

You mean in <a href="data:text/javascript,UniBaFo.__addClearListItem%20%3D%20function(aPopup)%20%7B%0A%09aPopup.appendChild(document.createElement(%22menuseparator%22))%3B%0A%09var%20item%20%3D%20aPopup.appendChild(document.createElement(%22menuitem%22))%3B%0A%09item.label%20%3D%20%22Clear%20List%22%3B%0A%09item.addEventListener(%22command%22%2C%20function()%20%7B%0A%09%09gBrowser.selectedBrowser.observe(null%2C%20%22browser%3Apurge-session-history%22%2C%20%22%22)%3B%0A%09%09UpdateBackForwardButtons()%3B%0A%09%7D%2C%20false)%3B%0A%7D%3B%0Aeval(%22UniBaFo.onPopupShowing%20%3D%20%22%20%2B%20UniBaFo.onPopupShowing.toString().replace(%2F%7D(%3F!%5B%5E%7D%5D*%7D)%2F%2C%20'this.__addClearListItem(aPopup)%3B%20%24%26'))%3B%0A">this way</a>? After adding that snippet to userChrome.js, you'll see a new "Clear List" menu item which will purge the list for the current tab.
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

Thanks a million, zeniko.
That's exactly what I was looking for.
Nella

Install problem

Post by Nella »

The installation instructions for this unified back forward extension say:

"Installation
After you've installed this extension, you'll have to customize the toolbar to replace the default Back and Forward buttons with the one provided by this extension."

After installing the extension, closing FF 1.5.0.10 (running XP Home SP2, standalone PC) when I right click on any of my existing toolbars, I see all my existing toolbars checked, including my navigation toolbar.

When I choose customize toolbar I review all the existing buttons in the "customize toolbar" window that I can "drag" to the navigation toolbar (the toolbar on which the back and forward buttons are greyed out) but I don't see any button that remotely resembles the button for this extension. I'm clueless. Please help me see the light. Nella
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

This extension's button should look like the Back and Forward buttons you already have sitting in the navigation toolbar (and reads "Back Forward" beneath it) - except that they can't be separated.

If you don't see anything like it, make sure that the extension has been properly installed by checking Tools -> Extensions and verifying that it doesn't say anything like "the extension will be installed after a restart" or "the extension is incompatible"...
jaygo

Post by jaygo »

Zeniko,

10-4. I see it now. Thanks. Nella
old nicholas.alipaz

Post by old nicholas.alipaz »

m435tr0d wrote:Could anyone figure out the script to modify the back part of the "Unified back/forward" button from the "Unified back/forward button extension" so that right-click goes forward?
Old Dawudd

Centre Drop-Down on Cursor?

Post by Old Dawudd »

Would it be possible to shift the drop-down list so that the current page is closer to the cursor (or, at least, as close as possible)? This would increase usability, as one would have to travel less to reach more items on the list. So, the most recent pages going back would be a mere few pixels down, and the most recent pages going forward would be a mere few pixels up. Perhaps this can be done with some CSS?
old zeniko

Re: Centre Drop-Down on Cursor?

Post by old zeniko »

m435tr0d wrote:Could anyone figure out the script to modify the back part of the "Unified back/forward" button from the "Unified back/forward button extension" so that right-click goes forward?

There you go (just insert this line into your userChrome.js):

Code: Select all

eval("UniBaFo.onClick = " + UniBaFo.onClick.toString().replace("{", "$& if (aEvent.button == 2 && aIx == 1) { BrowserForward(aEvent); aEvent.stopPropagation(); } else "));

Dawudd wrote:Would it be possible to shift the drop-down list so that the current page is closer to the cursor (or, at least, as close as possible)?

This should be possible with some slightly ugly JavaScript hacking -- you'll have to figure out the correct position of the drop-down relative to the button, the mouse cursor, the screen edges and the currently visible page. If you don't feel like doing that yourself, you might want to ask around in the extension development forum.

Dawudd wrote:This would increase usability, as one would have to travel less to reach more items on the list.

In most cases you're looking at the latest page in which case you wouldn't really gain much by this optimization anyway, since there wouldn't be any pages above. Personally I don't consider the advantages to outweigh the disadvantages of a slightly non-standard UI (all other drop-downs from menu and tool bars open below the button).
Old Dawudd

Post by Old Dawudd »

Yes, I agree. In most cases, usability wouldn’t be increased by that much. But, since this extension is so strong in usability as it is, I felt it didn’t have very far to go for perfection. I feared the drop-down position isn’t as easily tweaked as it should be. I’d love to write the necessary code myself, but, alas, my JavaScript skills are no where near the level necessary to implement this. Yet. Thanks for such a beautiful extension.
old nicholas.alipaz

Re: Centre Drop-Down on Cursor?

Post by old nicholas.alipaz »

zeniko wrote:

There you go (just insert this line into your userChrome.js):

Code: Select all

eval("UniBaFo.onClick = " + UniBaFo.onClick.toString().replace("{", "$& if (aEvent.button == 2 && aIx == 1) { BrowserForward(aEvent); aEvent.stopPropagation(); } else "));

I Just added this code this morning... GREAT!!! Thank you so much! That is exactly what I have been looking for! You are quite swell! ;)
aoeu

Post by aoeu »

Nice extension, though seems to be a bit broken with 2Fx .0.0.4. Mainly the right click is propagated to the toolbar itself, and so results in the history list popup AND the regular enable/disable toolbar context menu.
Probably an easy fix, but I lack the required JavaScript and Mozilla experience to do it myself, so if you'd be so nice and find the time to do it, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!
siGnatURe [in scii-art]
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

aoeu wrote:Mainly the right click is propagated to the toolbar itself

That should only happen on double-right-clicking and is actually expected behavior.
aoeu

Post by aoeu »

zeniko wrote:
aoeu wrote:Mainly the right click is propagated to the toolbar itself

That should only happen on double-right-clicking and is actually expected behavior.

Well, unexpected behavior is often called a bug :)
And I'm definitely not double clicking. This behavior occurred with and without the little snippet above to get right-clicking the icon to go forward. Every single right click on that icon brings up the toolbar context menu.

I installed this extension from the addons.mozilla.org page, and it's v0.5, which I see is still the latest. Clicking on the original "back" icon does not bring up the toolbar menu.
siGnatURe [in scii-art]