What to do about Junk Firefox Ad-Ons??

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
anderzen

Post by anderzen »

I see what you mean...Some of the things I say (type) tend to even elude me as to their actual meaning...This was more of a brainstorm for the future of the Internet or if you like "The future Internet"

there are probably 1000's of differing opions on this subject...I had posted some links to sites that are currently pondering ways of rewriting the Internet or making it a healthier place to browse (Firefox helps) one was www.cylab.cmu.edu...I encourage people to check out this site
"Be discreet in all things, and so render it unnecessary to be mysterious about any."
RECON

more info

Post by RECON »

VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Folks, I think the people who brought you this thread would probably like to keep to the subject, which is "What to do about Junk Firefox Ad-Ons??".
anderzen

Post by anderzen »

To many People to much input to narrow this question down to specific answers...one answer I provided before was if you think that you might encounter problems with using a Ad-On then think twice mabey three times befor you download and if you are using one that is a "Junk Ad-On" and didn't know it then do more reaserch as I and dk70 have stated and make the choice to keep or delete
the "Junk Ad-on" another problem with these user collecting data Ad-ons is that ther are 1000's of people who just don't care if they are using it i could name a few of my friends (but won't) that have this outlook...
"Be discreet in all things, and so render it unnecessary to be mysterious about any."
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Anderzen wrote:To many People to much input to narrow this question down to specific answers...one answer I provided before was if you think that you might encounter problems with using a Ad-On then think twice mabey three times befor you download and if you are using one that is a "Junk Ad-On" and didn't know it then do more reaserch as I and dk70 have stated and make the choice to keep or delete
the "Junk Ad-on" another problem with these user collecting data Ad-ons is that ther are 1000's of people who just don't care if they are using it i could name a few of my friends (but won't) that have this outlook...

Anderzen, you seem to be having some difficulty in understanding the purpose of this thread.

Let me explain.

It has nothing to do with what 'Ad-on' extensions people should or should not download. It also has nothing to do whether 1000's of people care what data is collected.

It has solely to do with the problem of the impact on the reputation and credibility of the Mozilla Addons site to continue to host these particular 'extensions'. This is the site in question : https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/

Hopefully you now a little clearer on the purpose of this thread. Please do not continue to take it off-topic.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
anderzen

Post by anderzen »

I have no difficulty understanding the original Question Mozzila in my books is completely clear of any wrong doing and...yes it has a lot to do with the extensions themselves not just the reputation of mozzila (thanks for the link i've been there many times) it is after all the few bad Extensions that are suposedly giving Mozilla this "bad reputation"

we should not expect mozilla to hold our hands like babies, pointing out the good from the bad ! but if we understood more about the
"why" people choose to use them we might understand why Mozzila chooses to provide them

I understand very well and in my opion this thread has never strayed from the original question but has evolved in to more diverse answers

I also agree with vanillamozilla it is about "what to do about Junk Firefox Ad-Ons"
wordlearner

WordLearner toolbar

Post by wordlearner »

dk70 wrote:Anyway, Wordlearner sure looks crappy. When checking out their homepage turn off Adblock, shows the real internet!

Hi dk70, zmanzero, Anderzen and J-Mac,

Thanks for your comments about the WordLearner Toolbar.

Can you elaborate about your problems with the website and the toolbar?

We've develoeped it to ease the life of lanuage learners and teachers -- and we use it for this purpose a lot. There is no spyware, no adware, no strings attached. The site is free for 50 words, and you can try out all the features of the website without paying a dime.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Balazs Benedek
---
http://www.wordlearner.com -- learn or teach words in any language.
dk70

Post by dk70 »

Call me old fashioned but I just dont see what this Wordlearner has to do with learning language. So far away from what I would consider useful that initial thoughts are it is a fixed setup, like Conduit, with a few changes = many more wordlearners around. I did not check about link http://www.wordlearner.com/web.index.php?page=aboutus or your homepage http://www.iit.bme.hu/~benedek/contact.php So you are for real? ;) Lets just say I dont understand the purpose.

Another thing is that when it comes to Mozilla freaks quite a few will automatically run away or at least dislike anything that goes "sign up for xx free xxxxx". Practically limited shareware. Much has to do with how "product" is presented I guess.
J-Mac

Re: WordLearner toolbar

Post by J-Mac »

wordlearner wrote:
dk70 wrote:Anyway, Wordlearner sure looks crappy. When checking out their homepage turn off Adblock, shows the real internet!

Thanks for your comments about the WordLearner Toolbar.

Can you elaborate about your problems with the website and the toolbar?

Balasz,

My comments weren't directed at your site per se. Someone had posted about it because your extension is a toolbar, and this thread is primarily about Firefox extension toolbars that are not actually created by the extension "authors", but are created by Effective Brands/Conduit FOR the persons claiming to be extension authors.

As you have no doubt read this thread, then you know why these are being discussed.
J-Mac

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.6) Gecko/20100625 Firefox/4.0.1
wordlearner

Post by wordlearner »

dk70,

Thank you for coming back to me!

If it isn't clear what the purpose of our toolbar is, then perhaps we need to rethink the way we present ourselves! For you, I'll just say that the toolbar is supposed to allow people to collect 'new' words while they surf the web, look it up in their favourite dictionary then submit it to their own account - including translations, definitions, etc. - something that would have been very difficult to perform without the toolbar.

Users can then learn the words that they have collected using online games, mobile phone software and printable puzzles & flashcards that are available on the website. So, basically, if you want to learn a foreign language or if you want to boost your vocabulary in your own language then it's useful.

The reason we add the "sign up for xx free xxxxx" bit is because we admire the business model of companies like SKYPE, that offer an excellent free service and then charge for the extras.

Cheers,

Balazs
---
http://www.wordlearner.com -- learn or teach words in any language.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

wordlearner wrote:...Cheers,

Balazs

So, nothing more than a 'fun' way of learning a new language, at a price, hmm?

BTW who wrote the 'fun' Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy, for all this then? You?

http://www.wordlearner.com/web.index.php?page=terms
http://www.wordlearner.com/web.index.php?page=privacy
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
dk70

Post by dk70 »

Fun or honest? "You should be aware that we cannot guarantee the security of any data you disclose, as the Internet is not a secure medium." End of story ;)
anderzen

Post by anderzen »

I just think that the Privacy Policy is to full of holes and loops for people who do the little bit of reading before commiting to somthing

a few quotes like "You should be aware that we cannot guarantee the security of any data you disclose, as the Internet is not a secure medium."

"The information you provide may be transferred in transit to countries outside the European Economic Area that do not have similar
protections inplace regarding your data and its use as set out in this policy"

I agree With Frank Lion it seems the price outways the fun ?
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

In all fairness, I don't know if that's so unreasonable. At a glance, I didn't see much problem with what they wrote. The problem is that they don't seem to tell you much about what they are or are not doing with the data.
anderzen

Post by anderzen »

Agreed knowing more about what is happening with the data yuo provide would be nice...one thing i noticed is that the policy said one thing but then
turned around the other way it sounded as though it was a long way to say you can give us your data but hey who knows what will happen to it thanks for comming out