Camino Users: Who Are You?

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Old davedit

Camino Users: Who Are You?

Post by Old davedit »

So I made this thread for fun because I'm curious what kind of people use Camino (and this forum). Who are you? Where are you from? What do you do?

I'll go first. I'm David, 21, in San Diego, California. Graduated from UCSD w/major in political science and minor in linguistics. I work as an activities assistant for an ESL school and a library courier for university/college libraries.

How about you all? Let's get some details!
Last edited by Old davedit on June 4th, 2007, 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

Name: Kai ....
Work: Consultant at an educational institution
jonhicks

Post by jonhicks »

Great idea Dave.

I'm Jon, a 33 year old freelance graphic designer from a place called Witney, just outside Oxford in the UK. I'm married, with 2 kids, one is 3 and the other is 5.

I design websites, icons, logos, branding. I also do various bits for Mozilla (such as the Firefox and Thunderbird logos), nagging the team putting together the Firefox 2 Mac theme, and recently I've started helping out with graphics bits on Camino while Jasper is busy. I've used Macs for 17 years.
Cheers,
Jon

Pimp your Camino @ http://pimpmycamino.com/
BDog

Post by BDog »

John B
24 Years Old
Roseville, Minnesota
Technical Support (K-12)
John Bailey (BDog)
MacBook | 2GHz Core 2 Duo | 2GB RAM | Mac OS X.4.10
Camino 1.5 | Intel Optimized By wrc_fan
chris.wells

Post by chris.wells »

I'm Chris, 22 year old web developer and part time student in Toledo, OH. I work for an independent music distributor as a (the) web developer and sysadmin. I started school as a full-time student at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh majoring in computer programming, switched to MIS, moved to Toledo, and now I am slowly finishing a degree in English literature at the University of Toledo. My most ambitious free time project right now is doing web development for the OS X game Quinn.
levjoy

Post by levjoy »

I'm Josh, a 29 year old graduate student in media art and editor for a web site on technology and politics. A lot of my work is about the relationship between online activism and real-world activism. I live in Brooklyn, NY with my wife and two cats.
jcraig

Post by jcraig »

I've thought about a thread like this for a while, way to go Dave! My name is Joel Craig, and I first started using Macs about 6 years ago when I bought a graphite iMac DV for my daughter and me. The acquisition of high-speed internet opened a world of Napster and internet streaming to us. As a long-time fan of progressive rock (with its roots in Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, ELP, Tull, etc.), I learned that not only was this type of music still being made, it was actually thriving even though commercial radio has shunned it now for almost 25 years. This eventually lead to me getting my own prog internet show over 2 1/2 years ago, which can still be heard live on Wednesdays or via podcast for the following month.

I had very little computer experience before the iMac, so I was literally a newbie in every way. IE for Mac has always been a turd, so when we moved to X I started using OmniWeb. Even though it looked nice, it didn't render sites very well. I'd heard of the Mozilla project, began using and following its progress around v.0.9 (lean years). Camino soon followed (0.4-ish I think), and I've been a fan and a user ever since.

Personally, I'm probably the old man here. I'm 44 years old, and a former construction worker. An extension ladder betrayed me on a job about 3 1/2 years ago, eventually had 3 disks removed and fused in my lower back. The resulting nerve damage and chronic pain has pretty much kept me at home ever since. I went back to college last year, hoping to turn a negative into a positive, and did complete another 24 hours (straight A's I might add) to add to the 12 hours I still had on the books from 26 years ago. UNfortunately, increased pain has kept me home this semester, with the possibility of more surgery looming in the distance. One thing I did learn though, I don't think I'm a programmer. Even though I passed a section in qbasic and my program ran properly, I'm really not sure why it did ;-)

I've always been enamored with how things work, Camino is no exception. I doubt I'll ever understand the code well enough to contribute in that way, but I really wanted to learn how to build the darn thing. Thanks to many good people around here and in #camino, that became a reality recently. So I continue to hope that by osmosis and hanging around here that I will continue to learn more about Camino and maybe even make a friends along the way ;-)
There is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact, it's all dark.
eccoana

Post by eccoana »

Name: Karlheinz
Mac user since: 1992 (System 7)
Work: Software Engineer & Consultant
<a href="http://www.nadamac.de">nadamac.de</a> - <a href="http://www.quermeer.de">quermeer.de</a>
Brian Gee

Post by Brian Gee »

Hello all,
I'm Brian. I am a Mac sysadmin and consultant. I fix broken computers and brag about server uptimes.
Used to rock in a punk (folk) band. Yes, professionally.
I am trying to find a decent backup solution for Xsan. Hint?
I am 30 yrs of age. And I live in the city of Seattle, WA. USA with my girlfriend of 6 years.
Never owned anything but a Mac. 1st Mac, bondi blue iMac. Was my studio for a while. With Deck no less.
MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz C2D
froodiantherapy
Camino Developer

Post by froodiantherapy »

/me is too lazy to answer questions more than once ;)

http://perso.hirlimann.net/~ludo/blog/a ... eue_1.html
"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
10.4.x iBook G4 1.33 GHz
<a href="http://www.jonagold.org/~froodian/MoreCamino/">MoreCamino - More preferences for Camino</a>
J600Rracer

Post by J600Rracer »

Name: jason
Occupation: Recent graduate from the University of Michigan with a Bachelors of Arts in English and a Bachelors of Science in Economics, working for a year as a researcher for a litigation team before going off to Harvard Law.

Oh yeah, I forgot a bit: My username comes from the fact I own a Honda CBR 600RR motorcycle and race it as an amateur.

I plan on being president someday.

I use camino for everything and I love my mac, will never own another PC. I currently own a 15.4 inch Macbook Pro, 2ghz, 2 gigs of ram, running OSX 10.4.7 and a Quad G5 with a 30 inch HD display that I will never get rid of, at least until it no longer works.
Who Dares, Wins
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

Ah, another motorcyclist and fellow Wolverine.

Anything useful people want to know about me is probably on my Web site, and if it's not there, you probably don't have any business knowing it :-p

cl
fishhead

Post by fishhead »

Name: Steven
Occupation: Work at a well known computer company doing computer related activities.

My username comes from the fact that I like aquaria, fish, aquatic plants, and related stuff. And it's funny.

My first Mac was my brother's Mac Plus. I have swapped a lot of floppies in my life. I had a C=64 before that. I still remember memorizing loads of memory locations so I could program in Assembly on the C=64 to get more speed. Gyuuuh.

I use Camino as my primary browser since it is simply beautifully designed. My work has supplied me with a 2Gz MacBook Pro that I curently live on, and I have various desktops.

Brian Gee wrote:I am trying to find a decent backup solution for Xsan. Hint?

Brian, I'd strongly recommend BRU - http://www.tolisgroup.com/ - it is wonderful. It's not totally flaky and requiring the workstation to be logged into the Finder like some backup solutions *cough* Retrospect *cough*. Not hacked together on the Mac with completely crappy shell scripts like some *cough* Veritas *cough*. BRU gives you very excellent CLI tool support so you can write scripts, and there's a GUI if you prefer it. And many sites running Xsan use BRU without issues.

BTW - I had a G4 at work running 10.1.5 with an uptime of 1000 days. About a year ago we were replacing it when we noticed it was at 993 days, so we put off the upgrade for a week. As scary as it sounds, we had it running as a web and FTP server connected to the internet, though it was behind a firewall and we updated Apache and ProFTPD with security updates.
Last edited by fishhead on September 26th, 2006, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J600Rracer

Post by J600Rracer »

cflawson wrote:Ah, another motorcyclist and fellow Wolverine.

Anything useful people want to know about me is probably on my Web site, and if it's not there, you probably don't have any business knowing it :-p

cl

So, I just had to go look at your website after reading this, and I have to say thank you for the laugh.

"The Detroit Lions, according to safety Terrence Holt, are “close to winning” an NFL game."

HAHAHAHAHAHA, the Lions make me laugh, the Vikings make me cry and I prefer Michigan Football to any NFL game or player.

Seriously, a few years ago when the Vikings were 1 (one) game away from teh superbowl, and the kick that would have sent them there happens to be the 1 (one) kick the kicker missed in about 3 years....I was a bit ticked to say the least. I almost threw my TV out the door, after kicking it...
Who Dares, Wins
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

Name: philippe.
Has spent nearly 5 decades on this globe called earth. Currently lives surrounded by tea fields, with a cat, some kids, a partner, in a country, way ahead in time zones than most, after living in 7 or 8 other countries.
Spending time writing poetry and creating images. Codes web pages for a living.
Has filed way to many bugs against everyone's favourite UA and its rendering engine.
Mac user (and sometimes Linux) since 1992 or thereabout, because, you know, Windows are meant to shield the studio from the cold, stormy winter days.

PS - one day he'll learn to write decent English