Live IP Address extension problem

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Live IP Address extension problem

Post by Guest »

This extension is displaying the word C*NT instead of the IP number.

I have verified/tested by uninstalling/reinstalling.

Any thoughts?
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

I had the same problem. I restarted Firefox and it was back to normal.
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Simple. If an extension is not what you want, get rid of it. And next time be very careful what extension you install. You can't assume extensions are benevolent or harmless.

Dartman,
If you have that kind of problem, you can assume that it's not really solved just by restarting Firefox. You need to investigate.
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Simple. If an extension is not what you want, get rid of it. And next time be very careful what extension you install. You can't assume extensions are benevolent or harmless.

Dartman,
If you have that kind of problem, you can assume that it's not really solved just by restarting Firefox. You need to investigate.

I have had this extension for about a year with no problems, so in a way I can assume that it is a decent extension. I will investigate into why it displayed that word, but for whatever reason it did disappear when I restarted Firefox. Maybe it reset some connection (just a guess), but it still should not have not shown that word in the first place.
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

There are lots of possibilities. Without seeing your computer, I would be taking a total shot in the dark. Sorry I can't do better.

Post by Guest »

Original poster here.

From what I am reading here, Can I assume that extensions offered on mozilla add-ons are not safe then?
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I have to take back a little of what I said. I see that this extension is available on Addons.mozilla.org. Extensions offered there do undergo some review and are thought to be safe. <i>Assuming that's where you got it,</i> I would be surprised if there were a huge problem of this sort.

On the other hand, you don't really know much about any extension. You uninstalled and reinstalled the extension, so it appears that that is indeed the problem. Correct? Without access to your computer, I'm afraid I'm just guessing here, and I don't know what to tell you about the extension. There may be other possibilities that I don't know about.

Post by Guest »

Original poster here.

I am glad to hear anyway that the extensions at mozilla add-ons are checked.
I have had this extension for many months, worked perfect.
It is back to normal now, but it stayed that way through un and reinstall, DL a fresh xpi from mozilla add-ons, still did the same thing.

There is no homepage for that extension. Did not know where else to inquire.

I have no idea why it did that, glad to see I was not the only one.
Just really do not want that word on my screen.
The above poster is right, that should never ever happen.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I have no idea how the extension works. It must rely on other software (OS services, for example) for its information. The other software could be compromised.