Midi file does not play

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mcfa

Midi file does not play

Post by mcfa »

I have a midi music file on one web index page. It does not play on Firefox but plays on IE. Help!

Post by Guest »

show me the page

Midi file does not play

Post by Guest »

Varnvillefbc.org
Old Limpet235

Post by Old Limpet235 »

FWIW. Works fine here. Do you have any script blocker, like NoScript installed?
guest 527

Post by guest 527 »

yep background music with IE and Opera. No music FF & CMonkey :twisted:
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

The web page is created with Microsoft FrontPage.
When you tell Frontpage to add background sound, it uses the BGsound tag - this tag is not standard and only supported by IE and one or two other browsers.

If you are only viewing the page, you need one of two things to make Firefox play the BGsound tag:
* The BGMConductor extension: http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=369
BGMConductor needs to be modified slightly to work in Firefox 1.5, see this for instructions: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updating_exte ... on_version

* The Greasemonkey script IE Media Mimic.
Greasemonkey is an extension for Firefox that allows users to write simple JavaScript addons: http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/
IE Media Mimic is an addon (used through Greasemonkey) I wrote that, among other things, converts bgsound tags: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/4278

If you have control over the web page and can modify it,, then you can tweak it so it works in all browsers:
Open the html file for the page in a text editor like Notepad
Find this line (near the top):
<bgsound src="howgreat.mid" loop="2">
Replace it with this:
<object data="howgreat.mid" type="application/x-mplayer2" width="0" height="0">
<param name="filename" value="howgreat.mid">
<param name="playcount" value="2">
<param name="autostart" value="1">
</object>

It does exactly the same thing only is standards compliant and will work in all browsers.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0

Thank you so much

Post by Guest »

Vectorspace,

I'm a first time poster here, but I wanted to thank you so much for posting that code. I've been looking all over for something that will work with Firefox (I just recently started using that instead of IE). I've got a 22-page Halloween site, and it was really bumming me that I couldn't hear the sound file for each page. That did the trick.

If you see this message, stop over and check it out.

SueR

http://suersite.com/hal/
bobakkersdijk

Post by bobakkersdijk »

People, I have the same problem only with a small .WAV-file.
I am stuck with a small site made with FrontPage where on some pages .WAV-sound files are attached.
Of course I tried the solution with the code Vectorspace advised above but . . nothing happens in FF; in IE all sounds well, but there I have other problems with hoover buttons. That is why I switched to FF.
I have read a solution for myself on my own PC, but I like to solve the sound problem for other users also.
What did I do wrong by using the type of code as scetched above? Or is that type of code only for MIDI?
I am absolutely no code expert using FP for updates and maintenance.
The site is www.evs.is.nl/anti.

BAKK
bobakkersdijk

Post by bobakkersdijk »

The site address without the dot of course . .
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

"The site address without the dot of course":
As a registered member you can edit your posts.

"where on some pages .WAV-sound files are attached":
Can you give a link to such a page then we do not have to try all of them to find one (if it isn't working: how?)
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

The link he posted has a bgsound tag.

It's possible you applied the code wrongly. Can you link to a page where you replaced the bgsound tag with my code, so we can see if you did it right?
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
bobakkersdijk

Post by bobakkersdijk »

Sorry! One of my fellow webmasters had the old version replaced on the web. Now the version with the object code is on the web again.
Look for www.evs.is.nl/anti where at opening the chimes.wav file should ring. It does in IE but the hoover buttons are terrible. In FF the buttons work better but the sound did disappear.

And I registered just a few days ago and are not completly "in" with the possibillties.
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

The code is fine, but something's wrong with the wav file - Quicktime can play it, but other media players don't see its full length for me. Windows Media Player plays what seems like the first 10th of a second of it.
bobakkersdijk

Post by bobakkersdijk »

OK! That's the problem! I replaced the file with one more recent and now it sounds like what we call in Holland "als een zonnetje!" Thanks for helping me out!
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Always happy to help people add standards compliant media code to their web pages :)