cannot access managed passwords in moz 1.5!

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Obscure Obscure

cannot access managed passwords in moz 1.5!

Post by Obscure Obscure »

hi there,
unfortunatly I am unable to view & edit my saved passwords in moz. currently I am running mozilla 1.5 on my system (os x 10.2.8), the psm works fine with all my previously saved account data. but when trying to access it, the cursor just changes to the processing icon and nothing happens.

I tried several things, like changing from encrypted to obscured in the preferences, but its no different. I would be very unhappy if there is no work-around and I would have to delete the whole stuff.

anybody some hints how to access the (encrypted) data?!?

thx
lostnihilist

Post by lostnihilist »

the point of the password manager is to prevent the passwords from being viewed, ever. Hence, it just inserts them into the password field w/o revealing what the password is and there is no mechanism w/i mozilla to read the passwords. however, if you unencrypt your passwords, completely close out mozilla, and go to your profile directory and open the <randomstring>.s file w/ a simple text editor you will be able to view your user names and pass, however they are not stored in human readable form. But if you can decode them using a base 64 decoder like this one. similarly, you could edit the data w/i the file by typing in a new user or pass in the java applet and then encoding it and pasting it in the proper manner into the file, but i'm not too sure why you would want to do it this way. if you change your pass, just go to the site's login, and enter your new pass in place of your old one, and moz will ask if you want to save it and you're done. (if you change usename, it will keep two instances of u/p combos for that page, which would then require you delelting the entry either manually or through the password manager. i hope that answered your question in one way or another.
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

There is a bookmarklet to show the password in a password field:

e.g. here from http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/
obscure obscure

clarification: password manager broken

Post by obscure obscure »

thx for the replies. but I think I did not geht clear what my actual problem is:

when trying to access the password manager under the tools menu, I can only log out, but when choosing "manage stored passwords" nothing happens - except the mouse cursor turning busy. normally the password manager shows up, and gives info about on which sites infos have been saved.

I need to access this info. the workaround to decode it would be the last ressort. any other ways to fix this?

thx a lot

Post by Guest »

I smell.