How to make thunderbird open firebird?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Travis

How to make thunderbird open firebird?

Post by Travis »

I'm all for separation of browser and email... but how do I make it so when I click on a browser link in thunderbird, it opens firebird on said link...? I'm running on Linux, with deb versions of firebird/thunderbird. I asked this question in irc.mozilla.org/#Thunderbird, but it was kind quiet there.

TIA
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

This has been fixed in recent nightlies. <a href="http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/2003-10-24-trunk/thunderbird-i686-pc-linux-gtk2-gnu.tar.bz2 ">Try this build,</a> If you click on a link in Thunderbird it should open whatever you have set as your default browser in Gnome. I use Mandrake 9.1 which comes with Mozilla as the default browser so to get Thunderbird to launch Firebird I had to replace the mozilla script in /usr/bin with a symbolic link to MozillaFirebird and rename the link mozilla. It's a bit of a hack. I probably should have figured out the Gnome thing but anyways, the main thing is it works. Except if Firebird is already running, then you get the profile manager, but that's a different bug, <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=177996">bug 177996</a>
lvlinuxnoob

Me too - but not using GNOME.

Post by lvlinuxnoob »

While I like the separation - where do I tell Thunderbird what browser to use when I click on a link? Right now nothing happens when I try. I'd prefer to have Firebird activated.

Daniel
ralf-rapp

Post by ralf-rapp »

Sorry, but it doesn't work !

I'm using thunderbird 0.3 und Firebird 0.7 with windows 2000 and the click on a link does nothing. Firebird is my default browser

bye

Ralf
bluesxman

Post by bluesxman »

ralf-rapp wrote:Sorry, but it doesn't work !

I'm using thunderbird 0.3 und Firebird 0.7 with windows 2000 and the click on a link does nothing. Firebird is my default browser

What's being discussed above is specific to Linux, where a known bug prevented links working full stop. Whilst Windows should work, some people have had problems - a quick forum search should hopefully reveal some answers for you!

Post by Guest »

yes I read it about Linux, but under windows it doesnt't work too