can't make window smaller or shrink.

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
click rempel

can't make window smaller or shrink.

Post by click rempel »

Have a mac.
I also have Mozilla 1.7.12.
Can't make window smaller or shrink. Page seems so low that I can't get to the bottom right hand side to shrink window.
Here's my email: ** e-mail address removed by moderator **
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I removed your e-mail address because we do not give email support. To do so would deprive other users of the information offered in a response to your topic. More importantly, spammers harvest email addresses from public forums like this.

Since you are not using Firefox, but the Mozilla Suite, I'm also moving this to SeaMonkey Support.
Underwood 5

Post by Underwood 5 »

If the page doesn't shrink when you click on the green button at the top left, paste this javascript in the URL strip and hit return:

javascript:top.resizeTo(600,400)

You also could go into the system preferences to Displays and set the monitor to some higher number than you are using now, shrink the page then set the monitor back where it was.
Running a Mac.
click rempel

Post by click rempel »

I clicked on the green button and it all works fine.
Thanks
Mike Novack

Not a 'zilla thing

Post by Mike Novack »

This is of course a much more general problem than a 'zilla thing. But since figuring out what to do when some window "handle" is off the screen and you can't grab it I'll describe what to do. And don't feel bad you couldn't figure this out because many is the person who couldn't guess the solution.

You are helpless ONLY when you are missing the top (window label) and have neither top corner).

To get access to the bottom (off the screen) you use a top handle to shring the window downward and then you grab the window label bar and move the entire window up -- repeat till you have the bottom available. Similar if too wide. Bring in whichever side you do have and then shift the entire window left or right and repeat as needed.

You shouldn't have to mess around with screen resolutions unless you have no access to the TOP and so can't grab and move the entire window.
Underwood 5

Re: Not a 'zilla thing

Post by Underwood 5 »

Mike Novack wrote:To get access to the bottom (off the screen) you use a top handle to shring the window downward and then you grab the window label bar and move the entire window up -- repeat till you have the bottom available.
What top handle? The window won't move up past the menu bar. Are you talking about OS X?
Running a Mac.
Mike Novack

not talking about the same thing?

Post by Mike Novack »

In the sense that I was using the term "window" the operating system could be the GUI of anything, Windows, Mac OSX, BSD, Linux, etc. The concept "window" has been very standardized for perhpas so long that many of you don't remember when all we had were command lines and then later "whole page text" (say using CURSES).

I thought a person was asking "how do I shrink a window to fit the page when the bottom is off the screen" (and so I can't grab the bottom "handle" and pull up). I said, then grab the top and shrink the page downward, then grab the entire page and raise it back up to the top. This has the same net effect as having raised the bottom by that amount.

Is the problem with "What top handle?" -- with what a "handle" is? Move your cursor to the edge of a window. Do you see it change in appearance to an arrow? That means you now have "grabbed a handle" and can do what the handle indicates with the window. The cursor appearance doesn't change when you are on a "window title bar" but if you click and hold down then move the mouse the entire window moves.

"The window won't move up past the menu bar" --- this has me confused. You don't HAVE any "menu bar" that isn't PART of a window. Outside of any window your screen is just a screen (aka "desktop") May or may not have icons scattered about. The windows represent some application that is open and act like pieces of paper you can slide around, shuffle which is on top, etc.

Look -- If you are running a Windows OS or a MAC OS and the screen comes up and you were't doing computers several decades ago you THINK you are "now under the operating system". You are not. You have gone farther and are in a "window manager" running under that operating system. And in all that I know of, the same conventions about sizing and movign windows apply. The reason you think "this is the OS" is that Windows and Mac, etc. only come with ONE window manager so you never had to choose "which window manager shall I use". Linux user know better (most Linux distros offer choice -- some windows managers are more user friendly and familiar when coming from Windows or Mac with nice built in menus. Others may be faster/lighter. Linux users tend be fanatical about their favorite window manager!).

When I began making my living designing software it was all command line -- or to be more precise, the "full (text) screen" apps were just becoming available. Gee wasn't having FSE a joy compared to EDIT (IBM mainframe -- EDIT showed you a screen of text but was still one line at a time and that's about where I came in).
Underwood 5

Post by Underwood 5 »

Mike Novack wrote:In the sense that I was using the term "window" the operating system could be the GUI of anything, Windows, Mac OSX, BSD, Linux, etc. The concept "window" has been very standardized for perhpas so long that many of you don't remember when all we had were command lines and then later "whole page text" (say using CURSES).
I remember it well. I used Dymo (the label-tape company) command-line terminals in the mid-70s, and two others now defunct until the end of the '80s, with their "portables" as big as houses.
I said, then grab the top and shrink the page downward. . . Move your cursor to the edge of a window. Do you see it change in appearance to an arrow? That means you now have "grabbed a handle". . . .
Not on a Mac.
You don't HAVE any "menu bar" that isn't PART of a window.
Yes, I do.
Outside of any window your screen is just a screen (aka "desktop") May or may not have icons scattered about.
This is a link to a pic of my OS X desktop. There are no apps running except the Finder. The menu bar is permanent. Can't be moved. Can't be deleted. Neither could it pre-OS X, but in those systems, the windows could be moved up beyond the menu bar. But not with handles and the cursor never changed, but by dragging the edge of the window.
Running a Mac.
Mike Novack

Ah.........

Post by Mike Novack »

Since I don't see a "task bar" at the bottom, I will assume that what you are calling a "title bar" is probably your "taks bar" (when you are running an app, does it place a "button" there for when the app is minimized").

Yes, most windows managers (all that I know of) have a "task bar" that is not considered part of your "screen". And you can't move that around with your mouse.

But sure you can't specify "at the bottom" rather than "at the top"? That's a configuraton option which most windows managers offer.

Now let's say that you opened an app (opened a window) and made it "full screen". That thing you call a "title bar" would still be there above your window but the window would take up the entire rest fo the screen and MAYBE "more" (it's bottom might hang down below so you couldn't grab the bottom handles). But are you saying that you couldn't grab that window's title bar (NOT what you are calling the "title bar" -- that's not the title bar of the open window) and then drag the open window downward (you'd now have some background screen between what you are calling a title bar and the title bar of the window.
Underwood 5

Post by Underwood 5 »

This page will help explain the Mac desktop. The dock is the closest thing to the Windows task bar, but I banished it. It is not a requisite fixture like the menu bar. It's simply a place to store aliases (shortcuts) and can be moved to any side of the screen. It can be shrunk or expanded or made to appear only if the mouse hovers over it.

This is a picture of the Mozillazine search page in a shrunken window. I dragged the page down to separate the menu bars and made the desktop black to better show the outlines of the page.

If I close the page (leaving only the black desktop and the menu bar), the app doesn't quit, allowing me to still choose all commands in the menu drop-downs, including New Page, New Tab and all the rest. My setup leaves four choices in the SeaMonkey menu proper, and that menu can be made to disappear from the View dropdown or by clicking the button on the top right of the page.

This discussion more properly belongs in the MozillaZine AfterDark forum because it has nothing to do with SeaMonkey or any other Mozilla product. If you want to continue it, you could register so we could start a thread there.
Running a Mac.
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

I love this thread.

And yes Mike, he IS saying that you have to resize windows from the bottom-right corner.
No version of MacOS that I know of has ever supported grabbing the window frame for resizing, or provided multiple "grip" objects.

In the future, I would suggest learning the features of an interface before you start arguing with people about the interface's features.
Still frustrated

Re: can't make window smaller or shrink.

Post by Still frustrated »

AND IT'S TWO YEARS LATER AND I'VE JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST MAC FOR 10 YEARS. And I still have the same problem as the first postee in 2006. what on earth is going on? And more importantly what is the answer to the problem?????????
Vectorspace

Re: can't make window smaller or shrink.

Post by Vectorspace »

This thread is 2 years old, please post your question in a new thread. Locking this one.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0