we need to stop releasing mozilla...

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Dizzle

we need to stop releasing mozilla...

Post by Dizzle »

There are way too many bugs. Can we focus this community on bug fixes!
There are 18226 bugs in the Browser alone, another 5750 in the Mail and News.
This is rediculous.

Now the roadmap has stupid talks about splitting the Suite. Lets not get off track. New computers come with 120GB hard drives, people don't care about 10MB or 12MB downloads.

The Mozilla Suite is a great product. So is Firebird, so keep them seperate. Instead of wasting time thinking about switching the codebase to firebird and thunderbird, whip up a simple app that lets experts remove and add the features they want. Then pick reasonable features for the defaults and everything will be marvelous.

Please can we focus. Mozilla 1.5 was a huge regression from 1.4.
We need to put 1.4.1 back on the main page. And just release bug fixes for 6 months.
The popup blocker is broken (bug #222466) the printing is still broken (#224596, #209191 and many more).

Instead of constantly releasing new features we need to fix bugs.

I am embarressed when I tell someone to use Mozilla then they go to print a website and it doesnt work. Or I tell them about this great popup blocker and when they click a link, the new window doesnt open cause it was blocked.

Mozilla 1.4.1 should not only be the stable API release it should be the promotion release. Then we can have releases with new features that only testers use and new bug fixes should be put in those releases and when they are verified fixed we can back port them to 1.4.1 and then release 1.4.2.
The release of new feature versions of mozilla should be slowed and the release of new bug fix versions of mozilla should be quickened.
kguru

Agree

Post by kguru »

I agree the focus should be on cleaning up and optimizing the app suite. If we can clean it well, we won't need to use Firebird. I like the App suite because its stable and has good features (such as composer). Splitting up the suite is not the answer. Removing unneeded code from the suite should be enough to speed it up a little.
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

Now the roadmap has stupid talks about splitting the Suite. Lets not get off track. New computers come with 120GB hard drives, people don't care about 10MB or 12MB downloads.

It's 56K downloaders that's the worry, not the hard drive size.
Dizzle

Post by Dizzle »

then a stable version with patches should be released. so it's easier for 56kers to upgrade.
how it works now is every 2 months 56kers are downloading a new feature packed broken version.
old np

Post by old np »

How many people do you think are working on just Firebird?
Dizzle

Post by Dizzle »

nonpareility wrote:How many people do you think are working on just Firebird?

i have no clue.
y3k

Post by y3k »

i would like to see a bugsweep but the nature of open source means that bugs get fixed when developers can be bothered to fix them. Working on new features is much more interesting than fixing bugs
[ ♦ Win7 Firefox 19 ♦ PowerUser ♦ ]
Dizzle

Post by Dizzle »

y3k wrote:i would like to see a bugsweep but the nature of open source means that bugs get fixed when developers can be bothered to fix them. Working on new features is much more interesting than fixing bugs

yes this is true and as a developer i can attest to that.
However, someone in the development chain is responsible for the releases and if they would mark more bugs as blockers then they would need to be fixed before the next release. Otherwise you might as well just post nightly on the main page for everyone to use and forget about releases.
There are some bugs that are years old. That is very unprofessional.
oracle_ab

Post by oracle_ab »

Dizzle wrote:
y3k wrote:i would like to see a bugsweep but the nature of open source means that bugs get fixed when developers can be bothered to fix them. Working on new features is much more interesting than fixing bugs

yes this is true and as a developer i can attest to that.
However, someone in the development chain is responsible for the releases and if they would mark more bugs as blockers then they would need to be fixed before the next release. Otherwise you might as well just post nightly on the main page for everyone to use and forget about releases.
There are some bugs that are years old. That is very unprofessional.

I'm no developer, but this makes total sense to me. *shrug*
__
Aaron
bob_seb

Post by bob_seb »

Dizzle wrote:However, someone in the development chain is responsible for the releases and if they would mark more bugs as blockers then they would need to be fixed before the next release. Otherwise you might as well just post nightly on the main page for everyone to use and forget about releases.
You can always set the blocker flag to ? to nominate bugs as blocker. If the bugs you consider important are also important for the drivers, then they will be blocker bugs.
But the best way to kill the bugs that annoy you is either solving bugs yourself, or find someone who has time to solve bugs for you.
simon6776

Post by simon6776 »

What's wrong with the printer? I have had no trouble with 1.5 printing, but I do have issues with 1.5, these being the text size on some web pages is unnaturally large, compared to 1.4.1, and for some reason, it's impossible to remove the Personal Toolbar Folder from the Bookmarks list, which is bloody annoying, as any new bookmarks not filed elsewhere, go into the PT folder by default. Does anyone know of a way round this?
SeaMonkey 2.38, Windows 7 Home (Desktop), Windows 10 (Laptop)
Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Yeah, I just found out that you couldn't delete the Personal Toolbar Folder. However, as I do have a few folders, I just renamed this one to Mozilla and placed all the corresponding bookmarks there.

Incidentally, I am getting more pop ups than before. Could someone tell me if 1.5 is lacking in anti pop-up coding or could it be my own computer set up?

Ariel
Dizzle

Post by Dizzle »

Simon6776 wrote:What's wrong with the printer? I have had no trouble with 1.5 printing, but I do have issues with 1.5, these being the text size on some web pages is unnaturally large, compared to 1.4.1, and for some reason, it's impossible to remove the Personal Toolbar Folder from the Bookmarks list, which is bloody annoying, as any new bookmarks not filed elsewhere, go into the PT folder by default. Does anyone know of a way round this?

Can you print this site?
http://www.organicagcentre.ca/faq_general.html

Only 1 page prints for me.
simon6776

Post by simon6776 »

I have to admit, that particular site only prints one page, but other sites print OK. Try this one: http://www.101cd.com/Home/index.asp?asptnr=

This page printed over 3 pages for me.
simon6776

Post by simon6776 »

Ariel wrote:Yeah, I just found out that you couldn't delete the Personal Toolbar Folder. However, as I do have a few folders, I just renamed this one to Mozilla and placed all the corresponding bookmarks there.

The trouble is still that any bookmarks saved without filing, will automatically go into the PT folder, whatever it is renamed. It's not a big problem, I suppose, but it's a bit silly that you can't delete it, when you could in 1.4.1. One thing I have found is that this only happens on new Mozilla installations. If you keep your profile intact from 1.4.1, then install 1.5 on top, it will duplicate your 1.4.1. bookmarks, so if you have already removed the PT folder in 1.4.1, it won't appear in 1.5. Hope that makes sense. ;)

Something I hope is sorted in future builds.