Big gray space at bottom below status bar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Kuy

Big gray space at bottom below status bar

Post by Kuy »

Firefox 1.5.0.7 was working beautifully on my XP machine until my last Windows update (earlier this week). I can't say for sure that it was the Windows update, but right after I installed the update, Firefox started showing a large gray space at the bottom of the browser, below the status bar. There also seems to be problems with certain pop-ups that are rendered at the bottom of a page, such as gmail chat (pop-in) windows.
What's going on?
sirj

Post by sirj »

Same problem here :). Tried switching skins and the gray area remains. Any ideas?
Tony-E

Post by Tony-E »

sirj

Post by sirj »

Tony E wrote:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gray_bar_below_status_bar

I tried everything on that list, including removing all my extensions, and the gray bar is still here. I don't have Google Web Accelerator. Anyone else have any ideas?

-Jonathan
jarmor

Post by jarmor »

Look in this folder: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\chrome

The site Tony E links to doesn't tell it all. If you have the file "m9ffxtbr.manifest" in the above folder, it will also cause the big gray bar with the red > pointing up. Manually send it to the recycle bin, and it will take care of it. \:D/
Progress? There will be no progress until IE is gone!
flanagan

Post by flanagan »

@sirj: If you have actually tried all the suggestions here with no joy, you may be the first. Nevertheless, try creating a clean profile. If that works, you can
migrate_settings_to_the_new_profile.

Edit: removed comment about Tony E's link having the above item. I had not seen the file name difference m9 vs. m3
jarmor

Post by jarmor »

Last edited by jarmor on September 30th, 2006, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jarmor

Post by jarmor »

Sorry....didn't see your Edit.
sirj

Post by sirj »

Hey guys :)

I tried creating a new profile, no success.

I've verified that I have no extensions installed whatsoever.

I checked the "chrome" folder and there are no such files as mentioned, all seems to be completely in order.

I don't have Google Web Accelerator installed.

Any other ideas? The gray bar persists ;). I'll next attempt to reinstall firefox and see if that helps.

Thank you!

-Jonathan
sirj

Post by sirj »

To be very clear, I'm running the Firefox 2 RC1 right now. The gray area didn't exist prior to the update. Thanks! :)

-Jonathan
sirj

Post by sirj »

Any other ideas guys? :) - I tried reinstalling Firefox 2 RC1, with no success. Gray bar remains.

-Jonathan
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Did you backup you profile delete it and then reinstall firefox? Because your profile is NOT uninstalled and it may be corrupt but you can still get bookmarks et'c from your old profile
See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_in_use
And
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folde ... rrupted.3F
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
sjcamp

"gray Bar" etc

Post by sjcamp »

~~Similar~~ problem...

I downloaded weather forecaster for desktop and nothing comes up except a gray 'bar'
at bottom of my screen and script - <menuitem label="&ff.main.options.label;"accesskey="&ff.main.options.acesskey;"default="true"
oncommand="window.openDialog........ Then I run out of screen. It has
affected my main browser window in Firefox AND Netscape. I did a System
restore but it is still there. I uninstalled Netscpe and Firefox programs... No joy. HOW CAN I GET RID OF IT/CORRECT IT PLEASE?!
Thanks.

Sandy
sirj

Post by sirj »

I tried completely removing all existing profiles and created a brand new one via the Profile Manager. Still no success.. This is very odd :).

Any ideas?

-Jonathan
ashtray23

Post by ashtray23 »

I still have the grey box as well. I've tried just about everything. I need some help here guys. Let me know if have any sucess.