[Ext] superT 0.7.9 - tab browsing extension for Fx&Flock

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.

What feature do you want most?

Option to select left tab after closing
6%
Compatibility with latest Firefox trunk builds
44%
Support for Firefox's new tab bar scroll buttons
31%
More tab clicking options
19%

Total votes: 16

atomizer

Post by atomizer »

@desertfox - if 0.7.9 is still broken, as seems to be the case, you sould consider pulling all the links to it until you have a chance to fix it. I know when i tried it on JUL-3, it was hosed pretty bad.
kilroo

Post by kilroo »

XerBlade wrote:
kilroo wrote:
desertfox wrote:any feature requests for 0.8?

so far, to be considered:
1. focus tab to left of tab being closed
2. [your suggestion here] ;)

First of all, I heartily support feature candidate #1. If that were added, I could actually use this extension, which would make me very happy because it does ALMOST everything else I need and is very SMALL. (I honestly can't really comprehend a desire to have focus behave any other way...it boggles my mind.)

You can't even comprehend it? Focus last select when closing is the way window focus in Windows and Macs work (close a window, the previously focused window gains focus [regardless of relative position in, like, the Windows taskbar]), and I can't remember whether it does in Linux or not. Windows in the OS and tabs in an app have most of the same concepts behind them, and stuff. Most people tend to like for similar things to behave in a similar way.

Hmm...when you put it that way, I suppose it sort of makes sense. I don't see them as similar things, however, which is why I don't expect them to behave in a similar way. If I'm working in one application window and open another one, then yes...I will usually want to do whatever I opened the new window for and then switch back to the original. Note that in a simple case of a couple of tabs, the same process with previous focus selection in Firefox is indistinguishable from opening a new tab on the right, doing something in it, and switching back to the one on the left...actually it is also indistinguishable from shifting focus to the right if it's the rightmost tab you have open, but that's less often going to be the case. With browser windows, however, in many cases (reading forums for example) I find it more convenient to open all the links I want to look at from a particular page (threads, for example) in new tabs without letting them gain focus, resulting in their stringing out to the right in order, and then start with the first one I opened and work my way back to the original page, closing each tab when I'm done with it. This process is so overwhelmingly prevalent in my browsing habits for any case in which I am looking at more than one or two related pages that any other way of switching tab focus seems completely counterintuitive and very annoying.

I do, however, at least understand now why some people might prefer the Focus Last Selected type behavior.

I can sort of imagine the logic of focusing to the right by thinking of opening new links in the reverse of the order I want to see them. I suppose I could probably get into that habit if I put my mind to it. It still seems peculiar though.

Now that I think about it I believe I first got in the habit of going through my tabs right to left on an IE based tabbed browser that would wind up focused on the rightmost new tab if I opened a group of favorites all at once. Since my current Firefox configuration winds up focused on the leftmost of such a group, I imagine that if I hadn't gotten used to tabbed browsing by another method already, then I'd probably have developed that open-in-reverse-order habit by now.

At any rate, I guess it is now more accurate to say that I can comprehend preferring one of the other options, but I still want what I'm used to using. Fact of the matter is, though, if I could disable the scroll wheel over the tab bar from changing the tab focus, I might go ahead and try SuperT with focus shift to the right and see if that reverse-order habit took. On the other hand if I could have the tab focus shift how I'd prefer, I might try it and just deal with the odd (to me) scrolling behavior. But with neither of those features configurable the way I would want to have them...

I'll keep waving my GO SUPERT flag, because I really do like the look of this extension and where it's headed, but I'll stick with my TMP bloat for as long as I find it more convenient to my browsing style. :-)
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

By the way, TMP is only bloated if you don't use most of its features (in other words, if this extension [or even one of the single-purpose extensions] does all or most of what you need, use it), which means... it isn't "bloated" for me. :P
See, I'm one of those incredibly rare people who actually uses every single feature/option (even the new ones in the dev builds) of TMP, except currently that stuff under the Mouse Gestures tab (and the Session Manager... which I will most likely switch to as soon as they do that rewrite they sort of promised.. [separate extension now]). Hence why that's what I use in my primary Fx profile.
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
aranittara

Post by aranittara »

desertfox wrote:any feature requests for 0.8?

integrated session managment on 2.0 builds
2.0 compatability
-Aranittara
aranittara

Post by aranittara »

toolbar buttons for session restore
-Aranittara
gilroy0

Un-feature sought in 0.8

Post by gilroy0 »

Sorry if I've missed this but... I'd love a way to TURN OFF a feature. I don't like having the tabs switch focus when I use the scrollwheel while the cursor is up at the tabs. I'd really much rather have the scrollwheel simply scroll the window like usual. I can't count the number of times I've popped open a couple of tabs and then scrolled through them wildly because I didn't quite get the cursor out of the tab region before spinning the scrollwheel.

No big deal but it'd make the extension more useful, for me at least.

Otherwise, I've been really happer with superT. It was the sort of thing I'd been seeking for months.

-=-Bernard HP Gilroy
eloriam

Post by eloriam »

New tab from favorites (flock) and search bar???
Please include this features.
kilroo

Re: Un-feature sought in 0.8

Post by kilroo »

gilroy0 wrote:Sorry if I've missed this but... I'd love a way to TURN OFF a feature. I don't like having the tabs switch focus when I use the scrollwheel while the cursor is up at the tabs. I'd really much rather have the scrollwheel simply scroll the window like usual. I can't count the number of times I've popped open a couple of tabs and then scrolled through them wildly because I didn't quite get the cursor out of the tab region before spinning the scrollwheel.

No big deal but it'd make the extension more useful, for me at least.

Otherwise, I've been really happer with superT. It was the sort of thing I'd been seeking for months.

-=-Bernard HP Gilroy

I heartily agree. Give me that and the ability to shift focus to the left when I close a tab, and I'll be happy.
vancod

Post by vancod »

Any plans for a "duplicate tab" function via right-click (as found in the "duplicate tab" extension)? I like the idea of a unified tab feature extension, but to require multiple input actions is rather difficult for me.
Thanks for the work on this extension
Don

Post by ******** »

since superT has been made incompatible and partially obselete by Firefox 2.0, i will no longer develop this extension under the current name. instead, i am starting a new tabbed browsing extension with a different feature set, while recoding many of the current features in a more complete and efficient way. this extension will be named Tabberwocky, unless other users suggest better names. this new extension may not be completed until november or maybe even january, as i am a busy high school student. i'll try to release a testing development version asap after firefox 2.0 is finalized and released.

current planned feature set:
  • UI for changing minimum tab width
  • select left, right, or last focused tab after closing
  • open tabs to right of current tab or right of all other tabs
  • tab clicking options for tabs only, no tab bar clicking options
  • option for middle-click tab in tab list closes the tab
  • a toolbar button for reopening closed tabs
  • optional mouse shortcuts for forward, back, close tab, and switch tabs
atomizer

Post by atomizer »

sounds good fox! thanks for the work you've done so far :)
KALMANI

Duplicate Tab????

Post by KALMANI »

under options in superT i had chose to duplicate tab when doubleclicking on the tab & it used to work.... but now it just stopped working...whenever i doubleclick on the tab i want to be duplicated it brings up a new tab...i unstalled & reinstalled plus unchecked & checked the options & still the same thing...does anybody have any ideas what I should do? btw i have ff 1.5.0.7
cloudwatcher

Post by cloudwatcher »

Sorry to hear SuperT is going "to sleep." It's a great extension.

I'm having a problem, though - it has made the close button (far right in the tab bar) disappear on my one FF install. Another FF install on a different machine with SuperT doesn't have this issue. Any idea how to fix it?
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

"Tabberwocky"

Hmmm... Hope that name isn't a takeoff on jabberwocky

Sorry, I couldn't resist it :)

Post by ******** »

it IS. :D
it sounds cools in my head anyways.

agh, junior year of high school is so crazy, i dunno when i'm ever going to get this finished.
it'll probably be a Firefox 3.0 add-on by the time i'm done with it.