Firefox 2.0 RC2 and Google

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
foxy123

Firefox 2.0 RC2 and Google

Post by foxy123 »

In Google preferences I always check "Open search results in a new browser window." In FF1.5 every search result used to open in a different new tab. Now when I switched to FF2.0 it opens in the same new tab. It is very inconvenient as I tend to click on several search result links one by one and only then look into them. I know that I can use middle-click to open them in different windows but I wonder if there is a way to revert to FF1.5 behaviour in this regard?
dfsjr47

Post by dfsjr47 »

I am having the same problem. Any help would be appreciated.
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!
Windows XP SP3, Tyan Mother Board with AMD K6-III 450, 512 Mb. 40 & 80 Gb HD, Gforce FX5200 256MB, Soundblaster Live, HP Deskjet D2430 Printer
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

This looks more like an issue with Google than with Firefox. A quick look at the source code of a Google search result page reveals that Google specifically requests that all results should be opened in the same new tab/window. If this worked in Firefox 1.5, it was either due to an extension or due to a bug which has been finally fixed.
foxy123

Post by foxy123 »

Interesting, I wonder if there is any walkaround, like changing anything in about:config?
WattsvilleBlues
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by WattsvilleBlues »

Works for me here. Using Firefox 2 RC2.

Have you tried safe mode, clearing your cache etc?
I think they're more interested in my epididymis
RaiseMachine

Post by RaiseMachine »

Set browser.search.openintab to True.
"Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit... unnatural ?" - Bill Hicks
"Money is the Schrodinger's Cat of economics." - Robert Anton Wilson
"It's not a bug, it's two features having a fight in the pub car-park." - Me
foxy123

Post by foxy123 »

RaiseMachine wrote:Set browser.search.openintab to True.

thanks, but it did not change a thing :(
RaiseMachine

Post by RaiseMachine »

I actually see (now that I've read your OP properly) you want them to open in a new window, I thought a new tab would be just as good. Never mind.
"Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit... unnatural ?" - Bill Hicks
"Money is the Schrodinger's Cat of economics." - Robert Anton Wilson
"It's not a bug, it's two features having a fight in the pub car-park." - Me
foxy123

Post by foxy123 »

RaiseMachine wrote:I actually see (now that I've read your OP properly) you want them to open in a new window, I thought a new tab would be just as good. Never mind.

no, I want every link from the Google search results page to open in its own new tab... Currently the first link opens in a new tab иге all subsequent replace each other in that tab.
pkasting

Post by pkasting »

foxy123 wrote:I want every link from the Google search results page to open in its own new tab.

The most reliable way of doing this is to uncheck that Google preference and then middle-click or ctrl-click your search results.
ffextensionguru

Post by ffextensionguru »

RaiseMachine wrote:Set browser.search.openintab to True.

Great, I been wanting to get this 'fixed'. Thanks. :banana:
JSS3rd

Post by JSS3rd »

I want every link from the Google search results page to open in its own new tab.

I use the Tab Mix Plus extension (Dev-Build 0.3.49.061009) to accomplish that. In TMP's options on the Links page, at Force to open in new tab:, select Links to other sites from the drop-down menu.
Jim
64-bit Win7 Pro SP1, 64-bit PM (Pale Moon) 27.8.2, 64-bit FF 59.0.2, 32-bit TB 52.7.0
foxy123

Post by foxy123 »

JSS3rd wrote:
I want every link from the Google search results page to open in its own new tab.

I use the Tab Mix Plus extension (Dev-Build 0.3.49.061009) to accomplish that. In TMP's options on the Links page, at Force to open in new tab:, select Links to other sites from the drop-down menu.

I guess this extension should make some changes in about:config for that and I wonder which changes, because I'd rather edit my about:config than install another extension.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

foxy123 wrote:I guess this extension should make some changes in about:config for that

You guessed wrong. If you really don't want to use an extension, you'll have to contact Google and have them fix their bug...
przemko

Post by przemko »

I have ecactly the same problem. It is VERY annoying that the new pages are forced into the same tab. This has NOTHING to do with Google since the older versions of FF (1.5) does not have that problem. Also, I did try the tab extension and I still cannot get multiple tabs open but indeed, all the pages are STILL redirected to the same tab. This sounds like a bug to me. Perhaps we all should report it?
And the solution of a middle or right click is no solution at all. Yes, it works BUT the point is that it used to work before and one click is always better than too