[Ext] Duplicate Tab 0.9 [2007-01-18]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Powerstroke2000

Post by Powerstroke2000 »

I've made sure I have the newest version of Firefox, but I'm having trouble getting the "Duplicate Page" download to work! I believe I've done it correctly, but when looking at the screen shot I obviously haven't got this ability working, so I thought I'd ask for some help if possible.
I'm wondering if perhaps I need another extension (application) as well, or just the newest version of Firefox?

I did run the "Install", then closed out Firefox completely, opened it up again, and no luck so far.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks..

PSD2000
twanno

Post by twanno »

Hi PSD2000,

You could try to right click on the install button, and choose "save link as" from the context menu. Save the file to a place on your hard drive where it is easy to locate, open the folder where the file was saved, then open the Extensions Manager (Tools -> Extensions Manager). And drag the file from the folder to the Extensions Manager.
This should install the extension.

I hope it works,

Twanno
jdackle

Post by jdackle »

Hi

I tried installing in Seamonkey 1.0.5 and the isntallation was "Cancelled"... Same thing if I save to disk and try and open the file...

I'm clueless as the installation page says it's compatible with Seamonkey.

Thanks
jdackle - Firefox 2.0 + Thunderbird 1.5/2.0 @ Ubuntu Linux 6.06 @ i686
twanno

Post by twanno »

Do you have write privileges to your profile folder or your seamonkey folder?
JonSchneider

Post by JonSchneider »

First of all, Twanno, thanks for writing and maintaining Duplicate Tab. It's an excellent extension! :-)

Now, my issue: I just installed Firefox 2.0, upgrading from my Firefox 1.5 installation. In 2.0, the Duplicate Tab | To New Tab functionality works fine; however, the associated shortcut key, Ctrl+Shift+t, no longer works. Apparently that key is mapped by default in Firefox 2.0 to a new "restore most recently closed tab" feature.

Are there any plans to address this shortcut key collision in a future Duplicate Tab release? I'm not sure what the best solution might be, but personally, I'd like to see Ctrl+Shift+t continue to be mapped to "duplicate tab" even in Firefox 2.0 when the Duplicate Tab extension is installed. To me, the function of "duplicate tab" being mapped to Ctrl+Shift+t is highly intuitive. (I keep trying to use it in Firefox 2.0 even though it isn't currently working!)

Thanks!
twanno

Post by twanno »

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of updating Duplicate Tab, so it will use Ctrl+Shift+U (Duplicate Tab) as a shortcut key in the future.
Further more, keyconfig is an excellent extension, you can use it to change "key_undoCloseTab" from Ctrl+Shift+T to another shortcut key (like Ctrl+Shift+U :p). Changing that key will cause Duplicate Tab to work again with Ctrl+Shift+T.

I hope this is an answer to your questions.
Regards,
Twanno
JonSchneider

Post by JonSchneider »

Twanno, I installed keyconfig and used it to remap key_undoCloseTab to Ctrl+Shift+u as you suggested, and Ctrl+Shift+t is now again mapped to "duplicate tab" and working perfectly.

Thanks for your help! :-)
pdrummond

Post by pdrummond »

TabMixPlus update appears to disable Duplicate Tab - it includes this feature BUT I've lost the button in my tab bar. I know you can CTRL+T with a TMP setting of 'open duplicate' but sometimes it's just easier to click.
Soul Fox

Post by Soul Fox »

This did the same to me and I resolved it by making my New Tab button = Duplicate Tab. This can be done under Tab Mix Plus Options > Events > Tab Opening > Load on new tabs = Duplicate Tab.

I hope that this helps.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3
Build ID: 2007030919
pariswd

Open Link in Duplicated Tab = blank tab sometimes

Post by pariswd »

Hi twanno,

I too want to thank you for your work on these extensions. Very generous of you.

I'm having a problem with Open Link in Duplicated Tab -- it sometimes just opens a blank tab. I can't quite tell if it's kind of a random thing or always reproducible. (Yesterday it was happening on the main page of nytimes.com, today it's not happening.) I noticed I'm not the only one -- here's a post from the Firefox extensions page:

Open link in duplicated tab problem
by Rick Moore , Nov 10, 2006
Since I upgraded to Firefox 2.0 the "Open link in duplicated tab" just causes a new bank
tab to open...what I can I do to fix this?

Any suggestions on what can be done to correct the problem?

Bill
pdrummond

Post by pdrummond »

Fx 1.5.0.7: I had TMP set to New Tab button = Duplicate Tab but the "New Tab" button opens a blank tab. Ditto right click "new tab". I still have "<b>Duplicate Tab" extension</b> even though the new TMP said it's no longer compatible - but its button works! Nothing else does. I'm not upgrading to Fx2 yet. I depend on addons to work.
twanno

Re: Open Link in Duplicated Tab = blank tab sometimes

Post by twanno »

pariswd wrote:Hi twanno,

I too want to thank you for your work on these extensions. Very generous of you.

I'm having a problem with Open Link in Duplicated Tab -- it sometimes just opens a blank tab. I can't quite tell if it's kind of a random thing or always reproducible. (Yesterday it was happening on the main page of nytimes.com, today it's not happening.)

Any suggestions on what can be done to correct the problem?

Bill

I have no idea of what is happening, and I am aware of people experiencing this problem. But I haven't been able to reproduce this yet nor have I recieved any good reports on how this can be reproduced.
Can you take a look at this bug and can you answer comment #5 in this bug?

regards,
Twanno
pariswd

Post by pariswd »

Hi Twanno,

I was able to reproduce the problem while viewing the Error Console with the two preferences you mentioned set to true. No errors showed up. In answer to your question, here's a list of my other extensions:
1. AddBookmarkHere{0.5.5}
2. CTC{1.0}
3. CloneWindow{0.2.7}
4. CloseButton{0.3.5}
5. DuplicateTab{0.8.1}
6. FaviconPicker2{0.3.4.1}
7. FirefoxExtensionBackupExtensionFEBE{4.0}
8. FlatBookmarkEditing{0.8.1}
9. FormHistoryManager{0.5.7}
10. FoxmarksBookmarkSynchronizer{0.84}
11. GetdirectionsfromGoogleMaps{0.4}
12. ImageZoom{0.2.7}
13. MenuEditor{1.2.3}
14. StumbleUpon{2.89}
15. TabCatalog{1.1.2006110601}
16. TabClickingOptions{0.6.8}
17. TextLink{1.3.2006100702}
twanno

Post by twanno »

Would you like to test if your problem still exists with what will be the next version of Duplicate Tab?
A test version is available here.

Thanks,
Twanno
pariswd

Post by pariswd »

So far so good -- have not seen the problem today since I installed your test version.