Release: Netscape 3 with Windows 3.1 look [Fx Theme]

Discuss application theming and theme development.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Hey Frank, thanks for all your help and pointers. It really isn't the padding that was screwing things up for me, as I had it looking exactly how I wanted prior to something changing in the development process. I guess that's what I get for trying to get ready early!

Actually, whenever I TRY to use the global padding or margin statements, they usually don't end up working for me, maybe because I thought it went TLBR (CCW), instead?

What's wrong with the margin on the alltabs button? Is that the one in the tabbar? I am using TMP, so I am unsure of which one you mean, although I thought I had the one in the tabbar looking pretty good...

As far as the Programmer's Notepad, that looks like it will come in handy. I think it was showing the error not on a misplaced comma, but on the last two lines of my original code. Remember, it was a hack, I was just throwing out IDs until I got something to work. With what you spotted, I am surprised it worked as well as it did! But, what is the deal with the red? I have always been told, "All red, you're dead" (it's an aviation thing, I am a civil engineer specializing in airports). But, the -moz-border code for instance, is correct. Is it just something that Programmer's Notepad doesn't recognize?

And for all you whiners, this is my thread, I can make it off topic if I want! :P

I'll get the update posted sometime in the near future. With the impending Fx 2 release, I don't want to make the UMO team review such a minor update when they have bigger fish to fry. On another side note, since this is technically an update to the Fx 1.5 compatible version, and I got it in before Oct 1, what's the chance that I get one of those t-shirts?
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

smsmith wrote:Hey Frank, thanks for all your help and pointers. It really isn't the padding that was screwing things up for me, as I had it looking exactly how I wanted prior to something changing in the development process. I guess that's what I get for trying to get ready early!

Actually, whenever I TRY to use the global padding or margin statements, they usually don't end up working for me, maybe because I thought it went TLBR (CCW), instead?

What's wrong with the margin on the alltabs button? Is that the one in the tabbar? I am using TMP, so I am unsure of which one you mean, although I thought I had the one in the tabbar looking pretty good...

I mentioned the padding side only because they are good practice. They work exactly like the margins, except that margins affect the 'box', padding affects stuff inside the box. Margin errors have a much bigger impact on a theme, so...get good on padding and you'll get good on margins. See? haha...

Clockwise... but, don't forget you can always do it like " margin-right: 2px; " etc, if you find it easier.

I work inside the jar on css stuff (just click Cancel, not Finish on WinRar) open the .css that I want in PN (it has an Undo/Redo function, so I can never really mess up), edit it, save, close FF, update jar, restart FF. Done. I'm seeing my css edits in the theme less than a minute later.

... I just thought the alltabs top and bottom margins looked off - should line up with tabs?

smsmith wrote:As far as the Programmer's Notepad, that looks like it will come in handy. I think it was showing the error not on a misplaced comma, but on the last two lines of my original code. Remember, it was a hack, I was just throwing out IDs until I got something to work. With what you spotted, I am surprised it worked as well as it did! But, what is the deal with the red? I have always been told, "All red, you're dead" (it's an aviation thing, I am a civil engineer specializing in airports). But, the -moz-border code for instance, is correct. Is it just something that Programmer's Notepad doesn't recognize?

This is your original code from the Addons jar :

...error in line 448. Take out the comma, stuff below colours up.

The PN colours can be anything you like - I just chose red for those parts. It's when things that should be coloured go black (in my setup) that I know I messed up.

I know it was a hack, but never feel bad about your coding knowledge or lack of it. I mean, it's not like we do this stuff for a living, is it? As you say, "I am a civil engineer specializing in airports". I too, do other stuff, IRL.

People should be feel free to ask the simplest questions that they like in this forum, it is not a problem. It's only people make out that they know it all, when I know that they don't, that I ever get slightly irritated.

Glad I could help. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Frank Lion wrote:t's only people make out that they know it all, when I know that they don't, that I ever get slightly irritated.

Slightly irritated?

I think the error you show above is from not having the period in front of messageText. I was just throwing things in to see if it would make any difference. I wasn't aware that any error would throw everything out after that until the next good declaration was found. Chalk it up to inexperience...

As far as the all-tabs button is concerned, I see your point. It would look better to match the tab height. I was primarily trying to get the darned thing to be the same width of the scrollbar, and still get the danged arrow to be centered.t's only people make out that they know it all, when I know that they don't, that I ever get slightly irritated.

I've still got plenty to do with little odds and ends in this theme, I just can't find the time to really work on them. For instance, take a look at the error console, the buttons are a mess! And don't even get me started about why the menubar isn't white across the entire Dom Inspector.

Thanks again!
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Frank's edits are included in the new version 2.0b. I also added the code to produce the tab scrollbuttons (it was missing before). Since I never had that many tabs open, I didn't know that feature had been added. Good thing I was just screwing around one day.

I would also like to ask if anyone is interested in either helping me make or making some icons to match the theme for the Bookmarks Manager and Javascript console. There are some other icons floating around in the theme that I just grabbed the default one because I needed an icon but don't know how to make them. For instance, check the phishing notice...

As always, please post comments and bugs here.
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

smsmith wrote:I would also like to ask if anyone is interested in either helping me make or making some icons to match the theme for the Bookmarks Manager and Javascript console. There are some other icons floating around in the theme that I just grabbed the default one because I needed an icon but don't know how to make them. For instance, check the phishing notice...

As always, please post comments and bugs here.

Sean,

You might check in with KidReefer on this thread http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &start=120

He's been doing stuff like that for a bunch of people.

Good luck!

Nice job on the new version of your theme.
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Thanks, John! And thanks for being a guinea pig for me!
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

No problem. I hope KidReefer works out. He usually only asks for credit for his work, just browse through that thread. Sounds like a great guy.

Keep up the great work!
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

smsmith wrote:... And don't even get me started about why the menubar isn't white across the entire Dom Inspector.

If you are happy to keep the browser menu bar white then just add : background: #FFFFFF;

about line 50 in your globar/toolbar.css

If you want it to be specific to the Dom menubar only, then put this in the same .css somewhere :

Code: Select all

#tbxInsToolbox.toolbar[type="menubar"], menubar {
  min-width: 1px;
  background: #FFFFFF;
  border-bottom: 1px solid Gray;
  border-top: 0px !important;
}
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

It's all about being in the right place! #-o

I had my code in browser/browser.css (near the bottom). It was wrong, but doing most of the job. Putting it where you say Frank makes it right, but I used:

Code: Select all

background-color: white;

Frank saves the day again! By the way, Frank, how is your work with Aluminum Kai coming? Mind if I beta test?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

smsmith wrote:It's all about being in the right place! #-o

Yeah, it is. :)

The 'secret' is in how you use the DOM inspector. You either seem to get just the 'the DOM inspector is your friend' bit....or 200,000+ words on how to use it, with little in between.

So, this is how I fixed your Dom menu in no time and pretty much all you need to know about the DOM inspector.

1. The most important thing to remember about the DOM inspector, is that it has 2 windows. The left, which most people understand, is labelled the 'Document - DOM Nodes'. The one on the right is really quite important and is labelled, ' Object - DOM Nodes'. Both have dropdown lists, which I'll mention later.

2. So, open the DOM Inspector in Tools and use it by - File/Inspect a Window/......(in the above case, we want to look at the DOM window, so I select that.)

3. Search/Select Element by Click.....(in this case, I clicked on the DOM menubar and it outlined it in red.

4. Looking at the left hand, 'Document - DOM Nodes' window, you can see that this element has been highlighted for you.

...now for the important bit...

5. Without clicking on anything else, go to the right hand, ' Object - DOM Nodes' window. Click on the dropdown by that label and select 'CSS Style Rules' - up pops every .css, etc that is associated with that menubar element.

6. Ignore, for the moment, the ones that say 'content....', as you cannot change those. Instead, click on one of the other entries, such as 'global/toolbar.css' (that entry also gives you the relating line number) and *bingo* ...a whole list of stuff pops up below, telling everything that the particular .css is doing in relation to that element.

7. In this case, I look and see no defined background colour and (thanks to above) go straight to the correct .css and line number and put it in.

8. That's it. Those other items in that dropdown list show you other stuff which can sometimes by useful. There is a few other buttons and bits about, but I've managed OK just with that.

smsmith wrote: By the way, Frank, how is your work with Aluminum Kai coming? Mind if I beta test?

It's coming along very well, thanks. I'm afraid that you haven't enough experience for beta testing on my stuff, but I will PM you a link just as soon as it's done - so that you'll see it about 2 weeks before everyone else. OK? :)
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Frank Lion wrote:It's coming along very well, thanks. I'm afraid that you haven't enough experience for beta testing on my stuff, but I will PM you a link just as soon as it's done - so that you'll see it about 2 weeks before everyone else. OK? :)

Don't be scared, Frank. I'll take you up on that offer. I've still got a lot to learn, and I again thank you for your patience and assistance.

Those were nice tips about DomI. I'll start putting them to use to track down some of the other things that have been bothering me about my theme.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

smsmith wrote:... I've still got a lot to learn, and I again thank you for your patience and assistance.

No problem...I remember exactly what it was like, when I started. :)
clarjon1

Re: Release: Netscape 3 with Windows 3.1 look [Fx Theme]

Post by clarjon1 »

Sorry to dig up a long lost thread, but is there going to be any work to update this for the firefox 3 users?

Thanks in advance for any info ^_^
LoudNoise

Re: Release: Netscape 3 with Windows 3.1 look [Fx Theme]

Post by LoudNoise »

You are replying to an elderly thread. Locking. Please start a new thread to ask for what you want.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."