Server not found....again!!!

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
wdlkbarnes

Post by wdlkbarnes »

HELP!!!!

I went into my current, default profile and deleted the extensions.rdf and extensions.cache folders which I was told to do in another thread. When I restarted FF, all my extensions are gone!!!! They said that when I restarted FF the folders would rebuild with all the correct ext, minus the ones that it wouldn't allow me to uininstall....but they are all gone!!!!!!
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I don't know. I suggest you pursue the issue in that other thread. But I really don't like advice that calls for deleting files. The safe thing is to rename them or to make a backup before deleting.
wdlkbarnes

Post by wdlkbarnes »

Yeah well, to late for that...lol...I remember doing this before with no problems. Apparantly it wiped out all of my themes too.. I guess the good news is that FF starts a whole lot faster now, I mean WOW what a difference. But i would rather have all my stuff back. By the way I re-installed Freeway before this happened and no problems still when I restarted. SO that obviously wasn't the issue. Maybe it was Map +. Also, I had both TorrentTools toolbar and Torrent Search Toolbar installed. TorrentTools being the new one, I always have that toolbar running and I forgot about the Search one, when I started the search one ( by right clicking at the top and selecting it ), I got the Server error again. I don't know if that is what is causing the problem since I've lost everything now, but it looked promising. Does anyone else with the Server error have this installed????
trolly

Post by trolly »

extensions.ini should be removed too.
The files are rebuild on next start assuming FF was really closed while removing the files. If not check your rights in your profile folder.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
wdlkbarnes

Post by wdlkbarnes »

Trolly,

I'm a HUGE MORON... I accidently deleted the actual extension folder when I deleted the .cache and the .rdf folder. I dragged it out of the recycle bin and dropped it back into my profile where it came from, and hit yes to replace the file. I can see all the extensions and themes if I click tools - ext. or tools - themes. But I can't open any of them. The toolbars don't show up when I right click....nothing....Anything I can do??
wdlkbarnes

Post by wdlkbarnes »

Would system restore take me back to before I screwed it up???
trolly

Post by trolly »

If you change anything in the extensions folder you have to remove the three extensions.* file. System restore do not restore user files.
wdlkbarnes

Post by wdlkbarnes »

Trolly,

Ok, wow am I screwing up today...lol...Thought I did this the first time but....I went back into my profile after putting the extension folder back and deleted the 3 extension.* files, which I thought I had done before I wrote the last few messages. Anyway, after i deleted them this time and restarted, everything was back to normal. Please ignore my IM to you, not that i was mean or rude or anything like that at all, just no reason to IM me back now that its fixed.I'm so sorry for all these little issues.

Back to the ORIGINAL forum thread...lol...Is it possible that an extension could be causing the "server not found" error, or possibly a toolbar causing it??? I deleted the torrentsearch toolbar and kept the torrenttools toolbar, i do believe that if possible, the search toolbar could have been causing this problem, or another extension causing it. What do you think??????
trolly

Post by trolly »

Good to hear. ;-)
I do not know how extensions work but i think it is possible that an extension inserts itself in the name resolution process (like URL scanners).
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
wdlkbarnes

Post by wdlkbarnes »

Then it is, or might be, the extensions causeing the "server" error? In that case I need someone that is still having this problem to reply to this post. I removed the following extensions----Map +,Freeway Driving Directions and ImageShack Toolbar. (though I re-installed "freeway" and did not receive an error.) I also removed the "torrentsearch toolbar", but kept the "torrenTools toolbar". I also uninstalled the themes Walnut, Qute and......I don't remember the other one right now, i'll figure it out. ANyway, let us know if you have any of these extensions or themes installed, then uninstall and let us know if it fixed the "server" error.
wdlkbarnes

Post by wdlkbarnes »

ok, the other theme i uninstalled was Futurama.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Themes should not affect the browser behaviour. One of the extensions is the best guess.
wdlkbarnes

Post by wdlkbarnes »

ok, didn't think so, but just to be safe. Did you see my post about Vonage and uploading?? Did you know about that???
trolly

Post by trolly »

Sorry, no. Never heard of Vonage at all.
wdlkbarnes

Post by wdlkbarnes »

You've never heard of Vonage? Or seen their stupid commercials? They are the top rated and most used VOiP on the market.