Aluminium Kai

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Frank Lion

Aluminium Kai

Post by Frank Lion »

As I mentioned here : http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 66#2506166

... I am adopting Aluminium Kai. I received a fair bit of stuff from the original author, Kozakura Inko, including the last jar (which is pretty broken for FF2) and it will be a good month or so before I work on it.

However, I would like to hear from existing users of this theme as to what changes or improvements that they would like to see.

My intention is to stick as closely as I can to the original, but improving where necessary.

I have my own thoughts on all this, just for example :

...using the same background on the statusbar as the toolbar background, which, I felt, pulled the theme together better.

But, I would like to first hear the views of existing users, on all aspects of this theme, before I start work on it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Lost User 162649

Post by Lost User 162649 »

now thats a nice idea Frank...:)
Aluminum was a beautiful theme and this makes it even better..
looking forward to it...:)
good luck..thanks again..
Fonske

Post by Fonske »

Thanks Frank, I love that theme.
hhh

Post by hhh »

Rounded endcap on the searchbar. Less padding in menus. Drag and drop arrow in tabs. Maybe a different close tab icon. A "Sailfish for President" icon. That is all.
Metalstream

Post by Metalstream »

I want the theme return to this:
I didn't like the lastest version, I think the theme that was made for Fx 1.5 Beta 2 was the best.
"I love God, He's my favourite fictional character." - Homer J. Simpson
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

The theme you show is "Netscape - Fusion". It's a great theme. I don't see a link offhand, but if you want it I can send you the theme. (This link will get you a version for Netscape 8.0 browser -- not much use for you. http://cdn-channels.netscape.com/ns8/i/fusion.jar)

There's also a similar theme running around called "Fusion Alternative". You can get it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1611/

Aluminum Kai (the one Frank is updating) is something different. If you want that one, you can get it here: http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/themes/j ... kai_fx.jar
Metalstream

Post by Metalstream »

^Ok, I got the "Netscape-Fusion" theme from MvD for 1.5....
I think, it was named "Fusion-kai"... Well I will contact you via PM.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Metalstream wrote:I want the theme return to this: *Met shows shot of a totally different theme*

Met, what have I told you about chewing those damn leaves?!

As I said above, I thought it would be a while before I got around to this one. However, I listen to a lot of plays, dramas, etc on the radio and started fiddling with AK while I was listening and, er, it is now about 95% done.

When I got it, AK was in a very, very broken 2.0.B1 state, it is now fully FF2 ready. I rewrote mucho code, loads of .pngs slightly changed, loads of new ones, fully skinned now throughout, non native scrollbars, etc, etc. There is the odd grad on the menus, etc, but mainly the whole thing is pulled together by one 'special' background, in the non-browser windows. All looking good and existing AK users should have no concerns on this.

To the point........I need a new betatester to do this one, as all my existing bunch are well tied up on the Metal Lion family.

Requirements -

1. Ability to be totally objective and honest, with a good eye for detail.

2. Must know FF2 functionality inside out, being an existing AK user would be a good bonus.

3. I need to already vaguely know you, as I need to know if I can trust your judgement. So, no total strangers, please, haha.

4. Above all, you must have a decent sense of humour, as I don't tend to take things very seriously and like to have fun on this stuff.

Please feel free to PM me, if you'd like a go at it.

BTW this goes up to Addons within the next 3 weeks.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
hhh

Post by hhh »

Sign me up, nutjob!
Metalstream

Post by Metalstream »

Frank Lion wrote:
Metalstream wrote:I want the theme return to this: *Met shows shot of a totally different theme*

Met, what have I told you about chewing those damn leaves?!

You should taste it Frankie!
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

hhh wrote:Sign me up, I am a nutjob!

Damn h, you lamer, you fell at the first fence!

Frank Lion wrote:...Please feel free to PM me, if you'd like a go at it.

...my betatesters don't even know each other, let alone the world and his wife knowing them.

I've got other stuff to do, so I'll decide on this one at the end of the week ...keep PMs coming, haha...

@ Met, don't you 'Frankie' me, 'Leaf Man', haha.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Many thanks all. 'Position' now filled.

:)
Metalstream

Post by Metalstream »

Hey!!! Frank what happen with your theme? Fx 2.0 RC3 is the final release and I don't see your great full skinned theme...
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Tough, Mozilla shouldn't have kept telling me early November for the official release of FF2.

Simple answer, like with all my themes, is when it's ready and when I feel like it. :)
Robanybody

Post by Robanybody »

Will this come in any other colours Mr Lion?
It's just that it's dawned on me that 'zero tolerance' only seems to mean putting extra police in poor, run-down areas, and not in the Stock Exchange.
-- (Terry Pratchett)