How do i disable 3rd party cookies in firefox 2.0?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

How do i disable 3rd party cookies in firefox 2.0?

Post by Guest »

I was surprised to find that the option to disable 3rd party cookies missing from Firefox 2.0. So how do i disable 3rd party cookies in Firefox 2.0?
korsairr

Post by korsairr »

i have also been looking for this option. unless 3rd party cookies are blocked by default. there is no need for them at all anyway.
Tomunsen

Post by Tomunsen »

They are not blocked by default. There was an excuse about how 1st party sites set cookies in frames or something, so that blocking 3rd party cookies was not 100% effective.
You can set this in about:config, (but as above, the developers claim it does not always work)
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.cookie.cookieBehavior

But if you really care about cookies you should tell it never to set cookies, and either manually or with an extension like CookieButton, add the sites you really want to remember you to the exceptions list to allow them. (Some websites like yahoo or ebay may use a barrage of cookies from several subdomains, so you may have to add to the list manually to get them to work).
http://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1247/ Cookiebutton

Another thing to worry about is web bugs, tiny images used to track you. Blocking images from third-party sites breaks most of the internet, so a good method to block web bugs may be hard to find. Proxomitron can do it but it is pretty complicated. Maybe there is an extension that blocks web bugs well, if you know of one please mention it.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Cookiesafe extension blocks 3rd party cookies and privoxy is easy to use to block webbugs.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.26-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Post by Guest »

thank you "craigevil" for your reply. Until someone finds out a way to really disable 3rd party cookies in Firefox 2.0 i will use CookieSafe which supposedly blocks third party cookies.
guest 2

cookies

Post by guest 2 »

open a tab in firefox 2 and type about:config go down to the line network.cookie.cookieBehavior and right click the line and click modify and change it to 1 then Only cookies from the originating server are allowed means no third party just do a search on google for firefox about:config tweaks and you should find what your looking for like on mozillazine has it too
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

It's not an excuse. The devs felt that too many 3rd party cookies were getting through anyway, and to block them all effectively would prevent most of the web from working properly. It lead to a false sense of security so it was taken out. I'm surprised to see the attitude that it was an "excuse" or the devs didn't care. People use firefox because it's designed with safety in mind. This is just another example of that.
School

Post by School »

I would say Cookiesafe would be a better choice here. It now includes 3rd party options which let you allow or block any of those friendly or nasty cookies.
So just as what Noscript does, you simply block all but allowed websites, so only those you find it needed and trustworthy would have your mighty permission.
MrLint

WebBugs

Post by MrLint »

A co-worker and I have setup the beginnings of a site to deal with web bugs http://www.webbugwatch.com . Not much yet but you can submit bugs and some SW to detect them. Please feel free to contribute.
dan.

p3p?

Post by dan. »

Does FF2.0 not implement <a href="http://www.w3.org/P3P/">p3p</a> on third-party cookies, as IE does? It's a w3c thing after all..
Maddoktor2

Post by Maddoktor2 »

If you already have FF 1.x already set to block 3rd party cookies, when you upgrade to 2.x the above mentioned 3rd party preference settings should carry over in about:config - I checked and it did in mine, at least.

HTH and Cheers,
Dok :)

Post by Guest »

>>Lucy wrote:
"The devs felt that too many 3rd party cookies were getting through anyway"<<<

I found that the 3rd party cookie block feature worked well. The amount of cookies in my cookie folder has exploded since this change. I used to check it periodically, and I would rarely see anything that I didn't want to be there.

Anyway, I changed the number in about:config as suggested. We'll see how it works.

Post by Guest »

tried downloading cookiesafe. It doesn't seem to do anything when I click on the button. I can't find a downloaded file anywhere. Is it disabled?

Post by Guest »

This was also the case for me.

Maddoktor2 wrote:If you already have FF 1.x already set to block 3rd party cookies, when you upgrade to 2.x the above mentioned 3rd party preference settings should carry over in about:config - I checked and it did in mine, at least.

HTH and Cheers,
Dok :)
eddiejoe67

Post by eddiejoe67 »

CookieSafe isn't downloading. Anyone know what the problem is?