Firefox Locks up on Intel Mac

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
VesperDEM

Firefox Locks up on Intel Mac

Post by VesperDEM »

I have been using FF2.0 for less than a day now and I have had FF2.0 lock up (Spinning color wheel or what ever OS X calls that mouse cursor) several times. Once it locks up, there is nothing to do but "Force Quit" the application. The latest time was clicking on the "Go back one page" button on these forums.

I haven't found a specific cause.

This is going to cause me to use Safari ot FF1.5.x until a newer version of FF is released.

Anyone else seeing this problem?
glenk1973

Post by glenk1973 »

Yes, this has been happening to me, too. It usually happens when I'm doing multiple things at the same time, opening other tabs and switching to other applications, and it happens quite frequently.
glenk1973

Post by glenk1973 »

Oh, I should mention that I also have an Intel Mac (White MacBook 2.0). It just so happens that Firefox locked up while I was waiting for the server to respond to my previous post.
VesperDEM

My system specs...

Post by VesperDEM »

I suppose I should have posted them before as well...

Mac Pro
2GB RAM
2 500GB SATA II drives
OS X 10.4.8

If you need more, just let me know...
Slim Shavings

Lockup

Post by Slim Shavings »

I have the same problem and its getting worse the more i use it. It was pretty quick to load websites at first but it si slowing to a crawl now. Also when I do a restore session I get a double set of tabs. It doesn't play well with Windows media player and Thunderbird either. Also i don't know what causes it but getting into the forums is a complete trial. You have to keep doulbe clicking on what you want to get it ti work and it takes for ever to load. I run it vanilla on a intel Macbook 1.83 512
delahaba

Post by delahaba »

I run a new Black MacBook, just installed FF 2.0 last night. It locks up/freezes when I open up new popup type windows, I get the spinning color wheel. It's not 100% of the time, but at least 90%. It's getting annoying, and I'm probably just going to delete FF 2.0 until this issue is fixed.

This is a SLOW response to this issue, lol. Does anyone read this stuff?
Last edited by delahaba on October 29th, 2006, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reclaim your RSS feeds.
CAZephyr

Post by CAZephyr »

Question: is this affecting all Intel Macs, or just some of you?
Richard Flynn

Post by Richard Flynn »

CAZephyr wrote:Question: is this affecting all Intel Macs, or just some of you?

I'm having exactly the same problem with FF2. I'm running a 3GHz Mac Pro with 6GB RAM and the application crashes several times a day. It got so bad that I had to revert to 1.5.0.7. I've had similar problems with my MacBook Pro.
R
VesperDEM

Post by VesperDEM »

Richard Flynn: Question. Crashes or Locks up? It makes a difference.

My experience is that it locks up. Everything freezes. Even the little circle of lines that represents the throbber for FF.
delahaba

Post by delahaba »

VesperDEM wrote:Richard Flynn: Question. Crashes or Locks up?

Locks up/freezes and I get the spinning color wheel. The only option is to force quit.
Reclaim your RSS feeds.
swatkins

FF2.0 Requires Force Quit in Intel Mac

Post by swatkins »

Firefox seems to be working OK on my Intel iMac, but every time - without exception - I have to force-quit to exit. The program appears to terminate normally, except that the black triangle remains under the FF icon in the dock. Force-quit is the only way to get it to disappear.
kstahl

Post by kstahl »

I'm running Firefox 2.0 on a 2.0 GHz Macbook with 1 GB ram. No problems whatsoever.
ste!!a

Post by ste!!a »

I've got a macbook pro 2.16 with 2 gigs of RAM OS X 10.4.8 and Firefox 2.0 is useless.
Locks up and stops me from doing anything but using force quit.

I do have a bunch of apps open on a regular basis.... but it happens when it is running all by its little self.

I've had to go back to Safari.

I'd be glad to have my old firefox back.
Richard Flynn

Post by Richard Flynn »

VesperDEM wrote:Richard Flynn: Question. Crashes or Locks up? It makes a difference.

I suppose it ‘locks up’ but I have to confess to using the two terms pretty much synonymously.

Before reverting to 1.5.0.8 I never had any experience of 'The application Firefox has quit unexpectedly', which I suppose would be indicative of a crash rather than a lock-up. What I did experience, however, was the application stopping—everything stopping moving as you report: nothing for it but to Force Quit from the Dock or the Force Quit window. It would often happen when Firefox had been sitting in the background for a while; I'd switch back to the browser and—bang!—the application was down. Sometimes I couldn't even bring the browser window to the foreground by clicking on the Dock icon because it had already locked up. Sometimes it would just lock up while I was browsing from page to page (i.e. while I was using it). The 'restore previous session' feature worked inconsistently: sometimes it would restore my tabs to exactly where I had been, sometimes it would do so for the session before last, and sometimes it would just show my homepage.

R
VesperDEM

Post by VesperDEM »

Yep, the freezing is what I have been experiencing. Just today, it froze up before it even had a chance to fully launch. I think it lasted maybe a second, possibly 2. The window appeared, then it just froze up.

I'm getting more and more familiar with Safari lately. I still miss some of the plugins I had in FF, but I'm missing them less and less these days. I sure hope that they come up with a patch soon.