Fx2.0 frequent freezes on Mac OS X 10.4.8

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
midtoad

Fx2.0 frequent freezes on Mac OS X 10.4.8

Post by midtoad »

It's freezing up 10 or more times per day. I think I see a pattern where it does it most often right after I've clicked a link then moved the scroll wheel of my mouse before the new page has finished loading. It also seems to freeze up after submitting form data (possibly involving javascript).
solowcx

Post by solowcx »

I have this exact same problem on my Mac mini, OS X version 10.4.8. I have had to switch to Safari because the freezing has gotten too annoying. It seemingly freezes at random times, causing me to have to force quit the program.
blippidy.bloppidy

Post by blippidy.bloppidy »

i was just about to make this thread. it's really really pissing me off. i had to force quit four times in a row, more than once today. it freezes up more often than starting up normally. i've disabled all my extensions (only 7 or so) except tab mix plus, adblock, and google toolbar ... all compatible with 2.0.

this needs to get fixed quickly, i'm about to switch to safari or camino. i want to stay with firefox -- i've been using since firebird days on windows.

please let us know why it's freezing so much, or at least let us know that it is being worked on.

thank you very much for a great browser, we would just really like to get this problem fixed.

thank you.
blippidy.bloppidy

could it have anything to do with not "uninstalling" 1.5 before installing 2.0?

same thing here

Post by Guest »

I get this too, same config. uninstalled all extensions. still freezes. have to move to safari.

Post by Guest »

Works fine running on an iBook G3 with 640MB RAM. Upgraded over the previous version. Only two extension aren't working.

Post by Guest »

I'm having to force quit firefox 2.0 everytime I use it.

I have used and loved firefox for many years but I can't stand the force quiting.

Someone please release an update quickly or put 1.5.07 back up so I can reinstall it!!!!
skwij

Post by skwij »

No force quit for me, just an abrupt end. Usually happens after clicking a link, even a bookmark link. I click, Ffx crashes.

Uninstalled 1.5.0.7, downloaded and installed 2.0, had this happen a bunch of times, so uninstalled 2.0 and all associated with it after backing up and renaming profile. Created a whole new profile, migrated bookmarks over, and it's still happening. Downloaded and installed 1.5.0.7 into a different folder, on a whole other HDD, with yet another new profile, and that one is stable as heck.

Totally maddening, to say the least. Coming here, I clicked my bookmark, FFx crashed. So I tried again, this time it worked. It's gotten so that I've started using Safari, just so that I don't have to constantly restart a session. Restoring a crashed session sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.
Oh, and Intel Mac, 2G ram, OS 10.4.7
Please fix "my" browser!

Guest, you can get 1.5.0.7 here:
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... s/1.5.0.7/

Install it onto a different drive or into a different folder than the "default" one to keep it separate from the 2.0 app.

Post by Guest »

skwij-

Thank you for the link!

I reinstalled 1.5.07 and everything seems to be working fine!!!! I won't be trying 2.0 again for a long while!
skwij

Post by skwij »

Anonymous wrote:skwij-

Thank you for the link!

I reinstalled 1.5.07 and everything seems to be working fine!!!! I won't be trying 2.0 again for a long while!

You're quite welcome.

I'm "just about" ready to uninstall 2.0 and revert back to 1.5.0.7 here, too. It's a PITA though, and that's what's stopping me ATM.
Stocky72

Post by Stocky72 »

I too am having the same problem. Fx2.0 freezes so often it is almost unusable, so am having to resort to Safari, which I can't stand either! I've also noticed that it often happens when waiting for a tab to load and I move the mouse cursor. It also happens when I've got a lot of tabs open and am not even waiting for one to load!

I've been using Fx for over a year, but have just changed jobs and now have to use a Mac as my main computer, rather than a PC (although I've used both side by side for years). The Mac is brand new just-out-of-the-box:

MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo, OS X v10.4.8, 512MB RAM.

Am resigned to having to revert to v1.5.0.7, which I'm going to do later today, although obviously don't see why I should have to!

BTW - you get a brand new computer out of the box and, before I've even installed anything of 'mine' on it, Software Update gets you to download and install well over half a gig of updates - what's that all about?!?!
blippidy.bloppidy

i switched to camino. got a couple of plugin sets -- camino session for session saving and more camino for some more preferences, and it does almost all of things i want with a browser.

it loads as a program faster than FF and seems to load pages either faster or at least just as fast. i think i'm a camino guy now. i've also got the camino knight, which updates my camino to the newest knightly build every day.

(oh, and it does spell-check as well)
ScottiouS

Freezing for me also

Post by ScottiouS »

I haven't really noticed a pattern but it's quite frequent. I use the browser all through the day and I think if I don't revert back to the older version I will have Force Quit'ed over 30 times by the end of the day. Getting quite annoying. I thought I might stick with it until an update came out but I can't see that anything is currently being done about it so it's time to revert back to 1.5 I think.

I'm running Mac 10.4.8 on 2Ghz Intel Core Duo. 1GB RAM.

I have tried out camino, but it doesn't quite have all the web developer features/addons that firefox has, so I'm eagerly waiting the fixed version of FF 2.0.
ScottiouS

Fixed!

Post by ScottiouS »

Well, so far so good. I read somewhere else that someone had success after uninstalling the google toolbar. I did this and it's not frozen in about 3 hours. hooray! Who would have thought, the most popular add-on would be the one to cause it to crash.

I should have tried uninstalling it before. Hmm.

Hopefully this works for others.

FF2 OSX CRSH

Post by Guest »

Same problem here. I've seen several mac threads all with the same thing. Has anyone heard if they've responded yet? Does anyone from Mozilla patrol this forum and reply to people?