Installing Firefox/BonEcho 2.0 while keeping 1.5.0.7

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
RAF

Post by RAF »

Vectorspace wrote:Anyone know why this was unstickied?

No, but I have a secret button ...
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

As do I, but I was holding off on using it until I found out why it was unstickied.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Sorry, I forgot to put money in the parking meter. <LOL>

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

de-sticky as fx2 is now released and there's no reason to recommend keeping two versions.

Edit after receiving a PM about this: Maybe this could be a KB entry (and linked to a faq) - I dont think this is prevalent enough to need a separate forum sticky anymore.
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Nitin wrote:de-sticky as fx2 is now released and there's no reason to recommend keeping two versions.

I disagree.

Enabling people to do what they desire to do is not recommending anything, it is fulfilling a need. This thread was initially needed so that people could safely test beta versions of FF2.

It is now needed more than ever. Why? Well, perhaps other people have no friends or relatives, but even they should be able to see, from the forums if not from their imagination, that there are many people who like to safely try a new version, before committing to it.

These 'people' are often known as 'existing Firefox users', who will in time, I'm sure, realise that FF2 is indeed better than previous versions and fully adopt it. Thus saving having to answer problems in the Support Forums, arising from them sticking with old FF versions.

However, I realise that it is much more important to have just one Sticky here, on the important subject of removing the 'Go' button (Sticky necessity bourne out of 'server overload' or similar) so feel free to move this thread to Locked Posts, if people are going to endlessly fret about it.

I doubt that Ed would disagree with me on this.

But then, what would we know?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
GeraldB

Post by GeraldB »

There may be others like me, who want to try 3.0 when 2.0 is locked in.
LCaution

Why is it so complicated to run multiple versions?

Post by LCaution »

I don't understand why it has to be so complicated to run multiple versions of Firefox; indeed, it seems to me to be a major design flaw and lousy programming.

I have, for years, run multiple versions of NetScape (as well as many other applications). How? I simply install the new version into its own directory and launch whichever executable (from its own directory) that I want. With NetScape, each version has a profile that points to the same directory - so all bookmarks, etc. are common. (Well, one exception: when NetScape changed the format of its bookmark file).

Why do I think this is so important? That should be obvious. The new version of ANY app is bound to have unforseen problems, so it should be easy and standard practice for people to be able to run multiple versions simply by installing them into different directories.
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

Stickies are temporary by nature. If you think running multiple versions of firefox is an important topic, add a KB entry.

If its good, it might end up being recommended by MoCo.

See examples on the Firefox Support page:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/support/
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

I agree with Frank that this is important information for users to have. It is even more important when new versions are released so that people don't have to feel locked into using a new version that may not be able to run all the extensions, themes, and modifications that they have become dependent upon. Let's face it, Firefox is a good start, but without extensions it is kinda lacking what users have come to expect a browser to have. For some users that is good, it keeps things simple; for the more sophisticated user not having their favorite extensions is a deal breaker.

To be able to get used to 2.0 a little each day, while using 1.5.0.7 for "important business" will help many users transition smoothly and somewhat painlessly. And hopefully by the time a user feels comfortable enough to use 2.0 as their primary browser, all their favorite extensions might be available.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
herzleid

help a not-so-nerdy girl

Post by herzleid »

Hey,

I'm sorry, I tried to read the previous replies but I went cross-eyed. I updated from version 1.0.6 something something to 2.0 just today because a site I visit frequently told me I should for "the best experience" (well duh x.x). I don't want it. So many things I used frequently aren't compatible with the new version (at least not yet and I'm an impatient gal). Where oh where can I find to download the older release?!

Any help appreciated, especially if it's emailed to mismatchedATmindlessDOTcom
Be heroes, save me, someone please!?

<b>EDIT</b> Ok... I think I managed to fiddle my way into:
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/f ... n32/en-US/

Is this what I should be looking for?
Gawd I feel so retarded for not knowing this crap :'(
RAF

Post by RAF »

^ That's the installer for Fx 1.5.0.7. If you are looking for that one, you've found it. If you have backed up your old profile before upgrading, it should be able to find it.
herzleid

Post by herzleid »

Thanks!! It worked. My life is back to normal, pheeeeew, as normal as it was anyway heh ^^' And yay, I'm not that blonde after all , hehe

grendog

Firfox 1.5 or 2.0

Post by grendog »

I think I'll just keep what I have till they stop coming up with updates
the-edmeister

Re: Firfox 1.5 or 2.0

Post by the-edmeister »

grendog wrote:I think I'll just keep what I have till they stop coming up with updates
There will be Security Updates for both 1.5.0.x and 2.0 at least every 2 months, or even sooner as the necessity arises. Keep what you have and you don't get the best security for your money.

Ed
musetou

Fire fox update today was 1.5.0.8 what about FF 2?

Post by musetou »

I am confused. There was an update today for FireFox and my version is 1.5.0.8.

But then I see that FF recommends downloading and installing 2.0

What should I do?
MuSe