Repairing Extension/Theme & Toolbar Settings

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mrtech

Repairing Extension/Theme & Toolbar Settings

Post by mrtech »

Many people are plagued by very common Extension/Theme manager issues which are being worked on in development builds. For example: the main extensions/theme list gets corrupt displaying "ghost" filename entries, extensions don't appear to update properly, toolbars get all hosed up, etc.

Note: this instructions are NOT meant for 1.0.x based version of Firefox/Thunderbird, etc.

There are a few easy ways to clean things up, but here are my steps to cleaning up the mess that can come up with installing or managing extensions, themes and toolbar customizations.

Repairing Extension/Theme Listing:
<li> before beginning you may want to completely backup your profile by using MozBackup
<li> open the profile folder (you can do this from the Tools|Edit My Config menu that Local Install adds to each of the programs), if you are having problems with my extension just just read this MozillaZine Knowledge Base article on how to find you profile
<li> close Firefox/Thunderbird 1.5 or deer park, etc or program that you want to clean out
<li> delete/backup the extensions.rdf, extensions.cache and extensions.ini files in the root of your profile,
IMPORTANT: DO NOT delete the "extensions" folder unless you want to completely rebuild all your extensions and themes
<li> run the program in question, your extensions list will get rebuilt, you may have to resort it, but that's the worst of things that should happen.

Repairing Local Install or any Extension:
<li> before beginning you may want to completely backup your profile by using MozBackup
<li> open the profile folder (you can do this from the Tools|Edit My Config menu that Local Install adds to each of the programs), if you are having problems with my extension just just read this MozillaZine Knowledge Base article on how to find you profile
<li> close Firefox/Thunderbird 1.5 or deer park, etc or program that you want to clean out
<li> delete/backup the extensions.rdf file in the root of your profile,
IMPORTANT: DO NOT delete the "extensions" folder unless you want to completely rebuild all your extensions and themes
<li> delete/backup the "staged-xpis" from the "extensions" directory of your profile
<li> delete/backup the "temp" or "tmp" from the "extensions" directory of your profile
<li> delete/backup the "{9669CC8F-B388-42FE-86F4-CB5E7F5A8BDC}" directory in the extensions directory (in case you are having problem with my Local Install extension)
<li> to clean up other extensions, go to the "extensions" directory and look for subdirectories that are empty, the subdirectory may look like "{9669CC8F-B388-42FE-86F4-CB5E7F5A8BDC}" or this "jojo@asdfadsfasdf.com" and try to delete them
<li> to find an extension's ID using Local Install, just right-click on the extension in the Extension manager's window and choose Copy GUID, this will put the extension ID into the clipboard and you can paste it into any document.
<li> run the program in question
<li> Reinstall Local Install

To repair your toolbar after installing Local Install or other extension:
<li> Use the "Disable All" feature from the Extension manager Tools menu
<li> Restart Firefox
<li> Use the "Enable All" feature from the Extension manager Tools menu
<li> Restart Firefox again
This should restore all your previous customizations, if it doesn't then they may be other issues with your toolbar customizations that this technique can not fix.

To reset your toolbar customizations:
<li> open the profile folder (you can do this from the Tools|Edit My Config menu that Local Install adds), if you are having problems with my extension just just read this MozillaZine Knowledge Base article on how to find you profile
<li> delete or backup the localstore.rdf (you'll have to reconfigure your toolbar, but this cleans out any toolbar customization issues)
<li> run the program in question

Some extensions will require that you update/reinstall them again or that you run the "Make Compatible" feature on them from the Tools menu of the Extension/Theme manager window if you have Local Install installed, but all should be rebuilt nicely.

You can get my Local Install extension here:
viewtopic.php?t=378946

Let me know if I missed anything and good luck.
Last edited by LoudNoise on October 15th, 2009, 5:22 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Reason: Unstickied
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
lizst

NoScript Snafu?

Post by lizst »

Hello. I'm sorry if this is not the proper place for my question, but I am new to this site (popped in hoping to just quickly post a question about a specific problem then return later when I'd have more time) and with little time [actually, less time than I've already spent here, first registering, then trying to figure out how/where to post anything at all]. Ok, sorry about the rambly intro there; just venting a bit 'fore gettin' where I'm goin'. ... which, I do think, I am now goin' to....

A problem has arisen with my "NoScript". [Owner/creator said, on NoScript site, to come here; he looks for buggy notes. So, uh... Hi.:-)].

I can't get it to shut up.

First, I should just quickly mention that I've installed Firefox, with NoScript, on both my computer at work [desktop;running XP] and on 2 home computers [1laptop;Win2000, and 1desktop;WinME]. There are no problems at all with either the home-laptop or my work-desktop. But here....here, where I most live, sittin' in my little backroom at my dear old home-desktop, NoScript has gotten persnickety.

_Every_ single time I click it, trying to allow a page to use its scripts, I get the message:
. - "Warning; Script unresponsive. A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped resonding. You can stop the script now or you can continue to see if the script will repeat." -

Ok, you might wonder, what's the big deal? Just click and move on.

Right. Except this happens, like I say [and apparently feel the need to emphasize;-)], EVERY time, AND IT HAPPENS 6, 7, OR MORE TIMES, in various places on my screen, before it will finally resolve, respond, simply let me the fully-active page! ... these little windows that I must click, 6 or 7 of them, to get one page in! [I have screenshots of two of these annoying things onscreen at once, though usually they are sequential instead.]

When I click to allow scripts at work, and on my laptop, it BELIEVES me! it does not argue with me! when I click there, it does what it's supposed to do, no hesitation, no questions asked, no demands that I push "continue" over and over and over....

Er... long-winded of me, here. sorry about that. but this has been building up for a while now, and I haven't had a chance to search out answers, fixes, before this. It's a relief to find a place where I can get help in figuring this out!

also, I did not have the time today to read everything here before posting, so I am sorry if this repeats anyone else's queries, or if it has been answered elsewhere. If either of these, then if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Lizst
-
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Here is the proper place to ask NoScript questions and find answers. I'm not trying to be a mod, just trying to help.
lizst

Post by lizst »

Thanks very much. Mod, or not; this does indeed help!

IceDogg wrote:Here is the proper place to ask NoScript questions and find answers. I'm not trying to be a mod, just trying to help.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

NP, glad I could help.
x00x

Love Your Icon

Post by x00x »

Your post is most informative, but it's your icon that has got me fascinated. :-)
Where you find it?
DRTProxy

Post by DRTProxy »

I too appreciate a post on this subject, only I am using firefox but I do NOT see Tools|Edit My Config menu. Must be specific to the extension you ar referencing. How do I remove an extension that doesn't work properly which I installed? Do I have to install this new extension, is it the best way?
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

DRTProxy wrote:I too appreciate a post on this subject, only I am using firefox but I do NOT see Tools|Edit My Config menu. Must be specific to the extension you ar referencing. How do I remove an extension that doesn't work properly which I installed? Do I have to install this new extension, is it the best way?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions_Uninstall

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
jbt

Thunderbird Extensions

Post by jbt »

I am trying to migrate to Thunderbird and have tried to download the webmail extensions (web-mail-1-0-12.xpi), ((gmail-0-5-4.xpi) and (hotmail-1-0-6.xpi). The download went well and the files are on my desktop. When I follow the instructions to install them I get a message that the file is not a valid install package. I am using Thunderbird 1.5.0.7. Any suggestions on how to proceed?
kelseysmelsey

Post by kelseysmelsey »

After updating ext./themes when starting firefox 2.0, ALL my extensions & themes and toolbar preferences are GONE! Since using 2.0, everytime firefox starts and i get the add-ons update box, i always click update and then continue, but then firefox never shows up, although its always running in task manager, so i would always end that process and start firefox again. I never had any problems doing that, until today when i did that, i went to go start firefox again, and all my ext./themes/tab prefs. were GONE! I tried starting in safe mode, and again they were nowhere to be seen! I think the updates that installed that time were: all 3 "Azerty" themes, and "tab browser preferences". Can someone please help??!! Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
tonka2

Post by tonka2 »

This may be off topic, and will write you in email:

I think I've installed an extension properly using Alt+X, but not real sure.

Here's what I did: Right clicked on Install, Saved As and let it download. Then typed Alt+X to install, clicked Restart. Did I do that right or is there a shorter way?

I installed a theme the same way; however, it also gave me a shadow of the theme in the Themes menu which I fixed by deleting the ext.rdf file.

Am I doing something wrong?

TIA
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3 - Build ID: 2007030919
laurel

New release feedback?

Post by laurel »

Where do we put feedback on the new release? I have some big problems with the new layout of the PlugIns (Extensions) site. #1 - no ratings. #2 - I never was sure what category extensions I needed were in. Now that is the only way to find extensions, if a search doesn't pull it up. Ack!
peardrop

Post by peardrop »

Re: Themes I have d/l a couple tonight and cannot find them. When I click the theme button, I get nada. I am stuck with this horrible theme I thought I'd check out. I had to do a computer reformat and am not that thrilled with this version. Can we d/l a previous version?
Thanks for help on both questions.
Peardrop
peardrop

Theme Panel

Post by peardrop »

I am still trying to figure out how to get rid of this theme. I cannot find the "Theme Panel" that Help talks about. Can anyone help with this? Please!!
peardrop
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

Did you try Fx in Safe Mode yet? You should be able to uninstall themes/exts. from there.