can't create subfolder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jcollins93012

can't create subfolder

Post by jcollins93012 »

I have a folder with subfolders in it.

I can't create any new subfolders in it because the menu doesn't recognize it as a folder that is allowed to have subfolders.

How can I fix that?

Thunderbird 1.5.0.7
Windows 2000 SP4

Creating New Subfolders

Post by Guest »

I had this same problem and noticed that it began occurring after I had downloaded a Theme. When I went into:

Tools > Account Settings > Server Settings > Advanced

... and I discovered that the box that says "Server supports folders that contain sub-folders and messages" was now unchecked.
As soon as I checked it again I was able to view and add new sub-folders to the previously allowable folders.
jcollins93012

Post by jcollins93012 »

Thanks. My server does NOT support folders that contain sub-folders and messages. I looked at the setting you described, and the the box is unchecked as it shold be.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Did you modify anything in tools -> account settings -> server settings -> advanced or did you use the default settings?

What type of imap server are you using?

If you right click on the remote inbox, select subscribe, and expand the inbox folder tree does it list any other child fodlers (other than the one you're trying to create child fodlers in)?
jcollins93012

Post by jcollins93012 »

I used only the default settings in tools -> account settings -> server settings -> advanced .

I will try to find out the imap server.

I have a large tree structure of folders and subfolders. When I right click on the remote inbox and choose Subscribe, the folders appear correct, and all folders that hold only subfolders appear in italics and grayed out.

However, the folder tree in the folder pane shows some of the folders that should be gray in regular text. Those are the ones that do not have the new subfolder item in the menu. They also give this error message when clicked on: "The current command did not suceed. The mail server responsed: Mailbox isn't selectable: StoredMail/CE_CERT."
jcollins93012

Post by jcollins93012 »

Our imap server is: dovecot-0.99.11-4.EL4
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

to create a folder that can contain subfolders, try putting a slash on the end of the folder name. For example
name/
Thunderbird trunk (generally).
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Testing
casueps

Post by casueps »

I can't create folders inside other folders, and I know that the IMAP server supports it (the server is UW IMAP).
I have the "Server supports folders that contain sub-folders and messages" activated in Thunderbird, and I have also tried adding a slash at the end of the folder name. What am I doing wrong?
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Thunderbird trunk (generally).
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Testing
casueps

Post by casueps »

Thanks. The first link not only solved the problem I said before but it also solved another problem (I couldn't delete folders)

I think the "Server supports folders that contain sub-folders and messages" should be called "Server supports folders that contain sub-folders and messages at the same time" or something like that. I had the option checked, because my IMAP server does support folders that contain sub-folders and messages, but it does not support both at the same time, so it has to be unchecked.