A few questions about Firebird

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
maybenewuser

A few questions about Firebird

Post by maybenewuser »

Hello,

I do not (yet) use the browser firebird as my primary browser, as there are a few points that I just don't like or can not get used to.

I use Opera because it has 2 features I love:

1. Next to the line where you type in http:// there is a search field (as in firebird) this field can be configured in opera to suit your needs. so I have entered more than one search machine in there, and I do tend to miss this option in firebird (but since I only have started using firebird today, I might have just not found the option yet)

2. The Tabs are in the wrong spot. I am used to Tabs at the bottom and at the top I find them misplaced. I'll give you an example:

My Taskbar is at the Bottom and when several Programmes are open the Tabs are at the bottom. If I use IRC I also have Tabs aligned along the Bottom. When using Opera it is the same.

In Firebird they are only at the Top which I do find not very helpfull at all.

If those two points could be configured, then I sure would switch from opera to firebird.

Just to remid all the readers, I might have just overlooked the options of changing these settings since I only just installed it today.

But if somebody knows how to change these settings, then please let me know how ;-)

kind regards
frease

Post by frease »

1) You can configure the search engine by clicking on the google icon and go to mycroft website.

2) You can either install Tabbrowser extensions to move the tab bar or insert this hack in your userchrome.css

clav wrote:#content > tabbox { -moz-box-direction: reverse; }

MaybeNewUser

More Questions

Post by MaybeNewUser »

hello again ;-)

now I tried to edit the userchrome.css like you said, but the tabs are still at the top and not at the bottom.

this file is located in my version of firebird under:

c:/firebird/defaults/profile/chrome/userchrome.css

and it now looks like this (copy of the whole file):

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* set default namespace to XUL */
#content > tabbox { -moz-box-direction: reverse; }

I also tried installing the tab extension packet and there was no such option to get the tabs down to the bottom ;-(

Furthermore one thing about your reply I did not understand:

The bit about configureing the search. What has a homepage got to do with the config of the search.

All I wanted to have is the following:

Search in Google.de
Search in Google.com
Search in yahoo.com
and so on ;-)

So how do I configure that ?

And the most important of all: How do I manage to get the Tabs from the Top (which really anoyes me a lot) down to the bottom where they should be ?

Your tip either did not work, or I have done something wrong ...

Further Help would be great. Thanks in advance ;-)

Kind Regards
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

1) That is not the right place for userChrome.css. It belongs in the chrome folder in your profile.
2) go to http://mycroft.mozdev.org search for the search engines you want and then click the install link.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
frease

Re: More Questions

Post by frease »

MaybeNewUser wrote:hello again ;-)

now I tried to edit the userchrome.css like you said, but the tabs are still at the top and not at the bottom.

this file is located in my version of firebird under:

c:/firebird/defaults/profile/chrome/userchrome.css

and it now looks like this (copy of the whole file):

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* set default namespace to XUL */
#content > tabbox { -moz-box-direction: reverse; }

I also tried installing the tab extension packet and there was no such option to get the tabs down to the bottom ;-(

Furthermore one thing about your reply I did not understand:

The bit about configureing the search. What has a homepage got to do with the config of the search.

All I wanted to have is the following:

Search in Google.de
Search in Google.com
Search in yahoo.com
and so on ;-)

So how do I configure that ?

And the most important of all: How do I manage to get the Tabs from the Top (which really anoyes me a lot) down to the bottom where they should be ?

Your tip either did not work, or I have done something wrong ...

Further Help would be great. Thanks in advance ;-)

Kind Regards

After installing TBE, you just have to drag the tabbar and a dialog would appear to ask if you want to put it at the bottom.
MaybeNewUser

Further Information ;-)

Post by MaybeNewUser »

alanjstr wrote:1) That is not the right place for userChrome.css. It belongs in the chrome folder in your profile.
2) go to http://mycroft.mozdev.org search for the search engines you want and then click the install link.

Hello,

okay just to explain: I did not install firebird. I found a pre installed edition in german with the german language.

It said on the page "just create a folder and put all files in there and experience the power of firebird" ...

something like that only in german ;-)

anyway, there is no other profile folder in that edition.

Thus, I will now try and get a full installer version in english and look for the german language packet and then give it a brand new try.

The whole thing is not very easy, I can tell you that much.

Well I will give it a try and then come back to "share" my experiences and maybe brag on a bit about problems I might encounter ;-)

Thanks for now, I will get back to you on all these points ;-)

With kind Regards
DesertWolf

Post by DesertWolf »

Hi

you copy the files in a folder but if you start firebird the first time it creates the Dokumente und Einstellungen\[UserName]\Phoenix\Profiles\default\[8charrandomnumber].slt\chrome\ folder by default - so just have a look there [replace Dokumente und Einstellungen with your language version of that]
MaybeNewUser

Post by MaybeNewUser »

DesertWolf wrote:Hi

you copy the files in a folder but if you start firebird the first time it creates the Dokumente und Einstellungen\[UserName]\Phoenix\Profiles\default\[8charrandomnumber].slt\chrome\ folder by default - so just have a look there [replace Dokumente und Einstellungen with your language version of that]

Thanks ;-)

That was a fantastic tip. Now I even got the preinstalled german version with tabs at the bottom ;-)

This is great ;-)

I am beginning to love this browser a bit more every day ;-)

Now I just need to configure the Search and I will be a new Firebird User ;-)

With Kind Regards