Can not install addons/themes

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tillyman

Can not install addons/themes

Post by tillyman »

Hi everybody,
I'm using FF for over a year now and quite love it. Now i downloaded and installed FF2.0 and most of the addons/themes are not working anymore (as usual when installing something new), and I tried to download and install new extensions and themes. The extensions were no prob but the themes are not installing, error code -228.
Can anybody tell me why...
Thx
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
tillyman

Post by tillyman »

Thanks malliz
I've tried all the suggestions on the site and nothing works...keep on hoping, maybe going back to FF 1.5
vtcrusade

Post by vtcrusade »

Tillyman

I'm getting this same error as well. I upgraded from 1.5 to 2.0 and none of my extensions came over. It went out and found the extension updates that are compatible with 2.0, but when it attempts to download them you get the -228 error on every one of the extensions it tries to download.

You get Firefox could not install the file at:

<LINK>

Because: Download Error

Tried all the Knowledgebase fixes no go on anything
Alice

Post by Alice »

You could try saving the XPI file from the link given in the error message, then drag the XPI onto an open Firefox window or use File -> Open File to open the XPI and install the extension. I found this workaround via a google search.

There's a similar topic started here a couple of days ago, by the way, which also came up in the search, in case anyone wants to watch it for replies:

Could not install extension: "Download Error" -228
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=480061
tillyman

Post by tillyman »

Thx Guys for your support,
I now found out what to do: The good old Firewall (I use CA) blocked the themes, I had to disable it and then...it works just fine.
Btw. don't forget to turn it on again........

Thx for all the support
steviex

Post by steviex »

I had the same problem... Switched to Windows firewall from CA firewall and I downloaded fine... I think the new version of CA is the problem because I downloaded themes on firefox 2.0 OK with the EZ version of the firewall....Also Knowledge base of CA doesn't seem to work in firefox either!! ](*,)
sgarcia

Post by sgarcia »

Well, I'm having this problem, and I have no firewalls on this laptop. I have other computers that also upgraded from 1.5.x to 2, and all of them update extensions with no trouble.

The only difference I can see is that I built this copy of Firefox with the Javascript blocker. I've since turned it off (it interferes with the FlashBlocker extension) but it's still installed. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to dump it altogether. I can't think of anything else different about this installation that could cause this.

The trick of downloading the xpi files and then installing them directly does work, but it's definitely doing it the hard way.
vtcrusade

Post by vtcrusade »

Was finally able to get the XPI's installed by doing the download them to my hard drive and then install from there, but get this, in order to download the XPI's I had to use MS Explorer and FTP in to the Mozilla extensions directory.

If I tried to right click on the extension from Firefox and choose save link as it would act like it's about to download but never actually downloads. If you click open from the download menu you get Blah Blah file cannot be opened it may have been renamed moved or deleted since it was downloaded.

But yea just FTP using Explorer (or any FTP program) to ftp://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/extensions/

find the extension folder and copy the latest release to your hard drive, from there just click and drag the XPI file to any open Firefox window.
FlipGuy

Post by FlipGuy »

Hmm, this is a different problem, but one that has been annoying me since upgrading. I keep having extensions all of a sudden stop working. I go into Tools/add-ons and find a message saying, "This add-on will be installed when Firefox is restarted." OK, I restart. Same message. So, I try to uninstall the extension in question. "This add-on will be uninstalled when Firefox is restarted." Same message upon restart. Why??? I changed my profile, but keep getting this very annoying problem. Seemingly random extensions decide to stop working and then "magically" start working later. No Script is the latest extension that decided to just not work, but I had almost all extensions behave this way.

I installed 2.0 twice, changed the profile once, made sure I have the latest versions of the extensions, did "Sudo Firefox" to check for updates, made sure my distro was up to date, checked my drivers, and am at my wits end. At least FF is no longer crashing... That's something.
Alice

Post by Alice »

vtcrusade wrote:If I tried to right click on the extension from Firefox and choose save link as it would act like it's about to download but never actually downloads

If you notice other Firefox download problems besides downloading extensions, exit Firefox completely then delete the downloads.rdf file from the profile folder.
Alice

Post by Alice »

FlipGuy wrote:Hmm, this is a different problem, but one that has been annoying me since upgrading <snip>

You should probably start your own topic since, as you say, this is a different problem but you could try these suggestions, from
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_ins ... _-_Firefox

* Delete these files from the profile folder:
extensions.ini
extensions.cache
extensions.rdf
* Also check for a staged-xpis folder inside the "extensions" subfolder and delete it if found.
sgarcia

Post by sgarcia »

sgarcia wrote:The only difference I can see is that I built this copy of Firefox with the Javascript blocker. I've since turned it off (it interferes with the FlashBlocker extension) but it's still installed. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to dump it altogether. I can't think of anything else different about this installation that could cause this.

Didn't help. I've removed the NoScript extension, but I still get a "Download error 228" everytime Firefox tries to update addons.
Last edited by sgarcia on November 6th, 2006, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can install the extensions locally:
Right-click the .xpi link and choose "Save Link as.." to save the file to your harddisk (e.g. My Documents or Desktop) and then drag the file into a Firefox or Extensions Manager (Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) window or use "File > Open File" to install the extension.

If that doesn't work then try to install in -safe-mode.
sgarcia

Post by sgarcia »

Installing locally works, but that's a work-around. It doesn't solve the problem. In particular it doesn't help when Firefox detects that updates are available and tries to apply them. Each one that tries to update fails individually.