Firefox Locks up on Intel Mac

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
sd92108

Post by sd92108 »

kstahl wrote:I think he means the addon, not the built in search.

Oh well I have never installed the Goggle Toolbar and my Intel Mac still hangs with FF2. That cannot be my problem.
-----------------------
Jim
VesperDEM

Post by VesperDEM »

I have done two things to my FF2.0 and I haven't seen a lockup since...

I uninstalled Google Toolbar
I disabled "Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected forgery" in the Security section of preferences.

I have been running FF2.0 for 2 days now and it hasn't locked up.
sd92108

Post by sd92108 »

VesperDEM wrote:I have done two things to my FF2.0 and I haven't seen a lockup since...

I uninstalled Google Toolbar
I disabled "Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected forgery" in the Security section of preferences.

I have been running FF2.0 for 2 days now and it hasn't locked up.

Are you running an Intel Mac?
-----------------------
Jim
VesperDEM

Post by VesperDEM »

Yes, I started this thread, and reported my hardware back then, but it's a Mac Pro with 2GB of RAM
minotaur60

FF2 not showing Flash on MBP Core 2 Duo

Post by minotaur60 »

I just migrated from a PB AL 15 1.25GHz using FF2 to MBP Core 2 Duo 2.3GHz. FF2 failed to load Flash files. I uninstalled and reinstalled Flash plug-in to the latest version.

Workaround was to reinstall FF1.5.0.7. Now Flash files load properly.

I'll have to wait for FF2 to be compatible in Tiger on an Intel Mac.

Does anyone have a better experience using FF2 on an Intel Mac in viewing Flash files?
VesperDEM

Post by VesperDEM »

I have no problems at all with Flash in FF2.0.

Why are you saying you will have to wait for FF2 to be compatible in Tiger on an Intel Mac? Aside from this lockup problem with the Phishing control (see my message above about the Security section of preferences and the Google Toolbar, FF2.0 works perfectly with Intel Macs.

I'm actually having problems with Flash in Safari now. :(
ChrisKn

Post by ChrisKn »

I removed the Phishing control and things are a bit better but I still get the beachball far too often. I am running an Intel MBP 17" with 2GB
Chris
VesperDEM

Post by VesperDEM »

OK, I replaced the Google Toolbar but made sure that the phishing feature was turned off. I have been using FF2.0 now for just over a day and it's still working just fine. No lockups at all.

So, it looks like the phishing protection code seems to be the problem.
nursemikec1

FF freezing

Post by nursemikec1 »

I've tried all the fixes present here and still having the same freezing problem. As much as I like FF its not worth the putting up with freezing every 30-35 min. I am reverting back to 1.5.07 or Safari or maybe even Opera.
CAZephyr

Re: FF freezing

Post by CAZephyr »

nursemikec1 wrote:I've tried all the fixes present here and still having the same freezing problem. As much as I like FF its not worth the putting up with freezing every 30-35 min. I am reverting back to 1.5.07 or Safari or maybe even Opera.

Can you tell us what extensions you are running? If I thought this was extension related, I might suggest running in safe mode, or with a new profile; but if it's related to phishing or similar options that probably wouldn't help.
isa.costa

Post by isa.costa »

Same problem here!
Installed FF 2.0, first RC2 (flash didn't run on this version), then RC3, and after some time using it the freeze/lock up starts. Its really annoying, sometimes it freezes after 2mn and force quit seems the only thing to do when it happens..until I got really tired of this and went back to 1.5..

I own a macbook pro 2.0 with 1Ghz Ram, and the latest version of mac os x and never had this kind of problems with FF before...

I'll try the google toolbar/extension thingy..
MorgenL

Post by MorgenL »

While google toolbar may be one culprit causing freezup it is not the only one. I have never had google toolbar loaded onto my system. Since upgradeing to Firefox 2.0 I am getting freezeups though. Freezing generally after waking the system from sleep, but sometimes even mid-surfing. Happens every day or so.

I am running an intel 1.83 Ghz Macbookpro CoreD uo with 2GB ram, OSX 10.4.8
sd92108

Post by sd92108 »

MorgenL wrote:While google toolbar may be one culprit causing freezup it is not the only one. I have never had google toolbar loaded onto my system. Since upgradeing to Firefox 2.0 I am getting freezeups though. Freezing generally after waking the system from sleep, but sometimes even mid-surfing. Happens every day or so.

I am running an intel 1.83 Ghz Macbookpro CoreD uo with 2GB ram, OSX 10.4.8

I think we have narrowed down that the Google Toolbar and the new anti-phishing module are problematic in FF2. Removed the Google Toolbar and turn off anti-phishing and FF2 should work fine. I never used Google and I turned off anti-phishing and have not had a hang since. To turn off anti-phishing:

Firefox-->Preferences-->Security Tab--->UNCHECK "Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected forgery."
-----------------------
Jim
CAZephyr

Post by CAZephyr »

If you're sure that anti-phishing is causing freezes on intel Macs, then somebody should write a bug report. Hopefully that's something that can be fixed for FF 2.0.1. Of course the extensions are a separate issue, but once we can convince the extension dev that there is a bug with the Google Toolbar, they will probably try to get that into the next update for the extension. With any luck, by the time that I get an intel Mac, it will be all fixed.
sd92108

Post by sd92108 »

CAZephyr wrote:If you're sure that anti-phishing is causing freezes on intel Macs, then somebody should write a bug report. Hopefully that's something that can be fixed for FF 2.0.1. Of course the extensions are a separate issue, but once we can convince the extension dev that there is a bug with the Google Toolbar, they will probably try to get that into the next update for the extension. With any luck, by the time that I get an intel Mac, it will be all fixed.

There is an official bug report at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=353962 where they are discussing the issue. Mozilla is aware of the problem.
-----------------------
Jim