XPCOM: Event Receiver Problem

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Bow 7

Post by Bow 7 »

Hello. I uninstalled 1.5.0.7 and then installed 2.0 from where I have it stored that first day 2.0 came out. The problem I have had off and on is when I close 2.0, got offline, and go to reboot. Up comes a window that says:

"XPCOM: Event Receiver is not responding".

I let it try to shut it down, but it does not work. I then have to hit end program to get out of it and get the reboot. I use XP Home SP2, if this helps. I could not figure this out and uninstalled 2.0 and reinstalled 1.5.0.7, now .8. That cured the problem. What causes that anyone?
KDJ

Post by KDJ »

I have also had this problem. I am on Windows XP Pro SP2.

I have uninstallede and re-installed and still have the problem!

I also have IE v7 installed if it makes a difference?

My only question is How did you re-install the older version of FF?? I can't find it!

Thanks.
Bow 7

Post by Bow 7 »

I have 1.5.0.7 downloaded and saved. I always do this with Firefox and any other programs.
Bow 7

Post by Bow 7 »

VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

<b>No, please don't direct people to other sites for downloads. You never know what you are getting.</b> You can always get old files from Mozilla, here: http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... /releases/ .
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

DickVL, do you know if there's a bug report on it? I searched and didn't find anything. I'm considering filing one, since I have observed it and can therefore confirm it.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

I couldn't find one either so you can try to file a bug on it.
If it doesn't get duped then you know.
Maybe it is an idea to ask a mod (trolly) to add it to the sticky at the top, I don't know how many times I've seen it today.
Bot 7

XPCOM Event Receiver

Post by Bot 7 »

Okay. First, I did not know where to find the older Firefox builds is why I posted the Hippo url and with the warning that I did not try it.

Second, I have installed 2.0 without removing 1.5.0.8 like another said to do. I tried before taking out the old one and them installing 2.0 and that did not work. Doing it the new way has not stopped the XPCOM problem. I have removed the old profile and put in a new one without any extensions and just my bookmarks. The problem is still here.

What does XPCOM do anyway besides cause problems? No, I do not know is why I am asking.
I am no tech.
Bow 7

XPCOM Event Receiver

Post by Bow 7 »

That was me last post. I mistyped my ID. I saw where it might be Java causing it.
I have Sun Java build 1.5.0_09-b03, the latest update.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Bow 7, XPCOM stands for Cross Platform Component Object Model. As I understand it, it's the framework on which Firefox is built.

This error isn't new to Firefox 2, it's cropped up occasionally on various versions. Unfortunately, I have yet to encounter a reliable solution. Sometimes it just goes away on its own, but that's not much of an answer - wish I had something more. Hard to believe there hasn't been a bug filed about this before.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 124.0.1, Developer Edition 125.0b5, Nightly 126.0a1.
Old Amoun

Post by Old Amoun »

Ok folks. Just noticed this topic. I was going to do a search, but here I am.

I was running both 1.5.0.6 and 2.0 until late last night.

The problem only occurred when I uninstalled 1.5 and had to fiddle with the profiles.

Will keep an eye here :(
Old Amoun

Post by Old Amoun »

Ok Using the links above provided by 'dickvl' I read that someone got rid of the problem by unistalling DOM extension.

Well I decided to 'disable' it instead. Closed down with no problem.
Re enabled DOM Closed down with no problem. :)

Thanks All
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

XPCOM is the interface that other programs use to communicate with Firefox.
So the error can be caused by other programs that fail to send the proper requests to Firefox and process the answers.
The DOMi does the same (has a DLL and uses XPCOM) and can thus cause that problem as well.
Sometimes the DOMi DLL is still in use when the updater tries to update FX and thus can't replace the DLL with a new version (installer bug, see the sticky at the top of Fx support).

Maybe process explorer (www.sysinternals.com) can tell which external programs use the XPCOM interface.
Bow 7

XPCOM Event Receiver

Post by Bow 7 »

Greenknight and Dickvl - Thanks for the info.

Now, I may have cured it on mine. I made a new profile, without any extensions, put it in and removed the original. It was still doing it. I then installed GetMail and IEViewLite. I have not had the problem since. So far, 2.0 is running fine. I have my fingers crossed.

Thanks to all who placed links on and info to help me track down my problem.