Messages suddenly disapeared.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
RacerJohn46

Post by RacerJohn46 »

Thanks for the info guys, back to 1.5.0.7 !
credik

Post by credik »

Hi, just to confirm that i had exactly the same problem when i upgraded to 1.5.08 !
Some messages that were downloaded just did not appear in Thunderbird.

Hopefully, downgrading to 1.5.07 and deleting all the .msf files did the trick.
The only problem is that I did compact my Inbox yesterday, so I only recovered the ones i received today ;(

Once again, this is a severe bug and should be fixed really soon, this could get some users to loose confidence in Thunderbird !
ub-net

Post by ub-net »

credik, you are right, downgrading and deleting the msf's only works as long as you have NOT COMPACTED in 1.5.0.8. If you do so, those messages are lost.

Uwe
RobP

Post by RobP »

I'd just like to add I upgraded to 1.5.0.8 last week and noticed this problem on Friday, it has only been happening since I upgraded. From reading this thread it seems like I need to revert to 1.5.0.7 until a fix is produced for 1.5.0.8. My question is, has anyone who has done investigation on this, found any missing emails that are NOT SPAM ? as I may be inclined to just 'live with it' IF ONLY SPAM is being affected?

Thanks for your help.
Rob
RedCardinal

Post by RedCardinal »

Well I for one hope that this only affects mail with certain headers. I compacted the afflicted mailboxes and subsequently lost the mail. Some email boxes were set to remove mail from the server (yes, I know, but I had gotten into a comfort zone).

This has got to be the biggest show-stopper I've seen for TB. I've been using it for quite a few years now and love it. But when integrity is lost it may come time to reconsider that allegiance.

I run my business through my mail and cannot afford to lose client email. Period.

Has there been any official response to this?
RichCutler

Post by RichCutler »

Just adding a "me too".

This is a definite - and serious - bug: I have three computers (home, work and laptop), and ALL of them show this problem since updating TB :(
Ana A

Post by Ana A »

Hi, my problem seems to be slightly different. After upgrading, first time I opened TB it asked for a "new account set up". All the folders are empty, looking brand new. Can anyone help me out here?
RedCardinal

Post by RedCardinal »

aalmeida

Probably best to start a new thread.
RobP

Post by RobP »

fwiw, I checked my webmail and saw 18 messages waiting for me of which 4 were SPAM. I fired up Thunderbird and it told me correctly there were 18 and the number in bold in my Inbox was 14. Assuming there is nothing I can configure and that the SPAM detector is working from the rules I have given it over a long period of time so hoefully no false-positives, then I am happy for this to happen now that I understand it better. My concern would be if it was using some form of SPAM filtering such as DNS BlackListing which could easily catch false-postives from people emailing from open email servers. I guess what I'm saying is an official response on this would be really sueful as there seems to be quite a few people interested in knowing what is happening here.

Now that I think I've got that sorted, just got ot figure out how I 'archive' now lol
Guest1508

Post by Guest1508 »

For anyone who has had their older mail disappear after upgrading to 1.5.0.8 and can't get it back by deleting the .msf files, please also add information to the bugzilla bug 360530, if you have any good info that might help fix the bug or describe it further. (Type it into the "additional comments" field for those of you who haven't used bugzilla before).

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... &id=360530

So, a bug is now opened for this critical issue but probably needs additional info for the developers to solve - please add your info using the link above.

Thanks!
RobP

Post by RobP »

I have copied a link to this thread onto Bugzilla

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=359962
ghost messages
mkmelin

Post by mkmelin »

I think you are seeing bug #360409.
niekvs

Post by niekvs »

I had the same problem.. i could still see the affected messages when viewing the Inbox file using a text editor, but not in TB. Tried compacting, and that didn't help, neither did deleting the msf file. Below you can see the header for one of the affected messages, directly copied from the 'Inbox' file. I'm afraid compacting actually deleted the messages, because after downgrading to TB .7, i only got back a few of them that were dated today, i think from after my last 'compact'.

In other words: this makes TB completely useless, and i can't believe that they're still distributing this version today, because it must be hurting many people. I had messages disappear almost every time i got new messages, probably at least 30% of them. Not sure if they were all spam, because i only started really investigating after compacting to see if this would fix it.

I just hope it has something to do with spam filtering, because in that case at least i know that i probably didn't lose any important messages. Can anyone confirm this?

Anyway, when i get Vista, i'll be sure not to use TB again - and i'm sure many others will feel the same way. I've been using it for years, but it's unacceptable to lose mail, and i completely lost my confidence with TB, especially since they're still distributing it: apparently they don't even care/realize what's going on. The bug report (360409) also makes it look like this is some isolated issue having to do with a few obscure mail agents, which obviously isn't the case (look below, X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869)

Good luck everyone, and at least downgrade for now, as a quick fix! (and switch off Automatic updates)

-- Niek

From - Mon Nov 13 17:35:55 2006
X-Account-Key: account2
X-UIDL: UID15741-1103787658
X-Mozilla-Status: 0000
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
Return-Path: <ljveeflbi>
Delivered-To: 3-niek@xxxmydomainxxx.com
Received: (qmail 24804 invoked from network); 13 Nov 2006 16:27:05 -0000
Received: from dsl-189-166-104-20.prod-infinitum.com.mx (189.166.104.20)
by u15175353.onlinehome-server.com with SMTP; 13 Nov 2006 16:27:05 -0000
Message-ID: <000601c7073f>
To: niek@xxxmydomainxxx.com
References: <000601c7073f>
Subject: Re: glory World Service
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:16:14 -0600
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/related;
type="multipart/alternative";
boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0004_01C7070C.BFB6D1E0"
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2962
jiranz

Post by jiranz »

I watched a message vanish in 1507 and again after upgrade to 1508. I like this TB prog and wish I could contribute to solving this hiccup.

For business reasons I have felt it prudent to revert to OE6 for now. Last night I got an angry call from a customer asking why I had not responded to an email. It was received in the period when i was relying on TB. I assumed it was one of the "lost" emails and just apologized to the customer.

Later I had a thought and found the "Inbox" file from TB and renamed it with the extension TXT and opened it in Notepad. I then found a heap of "invisible" emails which had not displayed in TB. I had recently replaced all the msf files and created a new profile and compacted all folders. It is now obvious that doing this had not solved any of the problems.

I also discovered you can cut and paste complete emails from the TB "Inbox" file and save them as text files (any name) with the EML extension then drag and drop them into the OE6 Inbox where they appear as if they have just been downloaded in OE.

But I will definitely be back with TB when the next update is done. My sincere best wishes to the developers who will be working on it. You guys are doing a great job and sometimes we Users forget to appreciate that you do this in your own time as volunteers.
jasonw314159

Same problem - solved by downgrading and deleting .msf-s

Post by jasonw314159 »

After downgrading and deleting .msfs, I had about 40 messages show up in my inbox. 1 was from an ordinary sender, and the rest were spam. Especially given that most people won't even notice this bug, I think that it is serious enough that the distribution of 1.5.0.8 should be stopped until a fixed version can be pushed out (A.S.A.P!). This kind of thing seriously harms the credibility of Thunderbird and Mozilla as a whole --- I'm considering moving to another mail client as it is, since even one message lost is way too many --- and the fact that you're continuing to distribute the buggy binary after knowing about the problem doesn't help.