Unresponsive script error

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Klemen

Gmail

Post by Klemen »

schapel wrote:Yeah, the problems with extensions are also in the article. If the problem is that you don't know what to write, please let us know that, and tell us the URL that demonstrates the problem.

et

euskir wrote:And if you can't find any clue, well, you can always use the "Contact Us" option at the bottom of the page. My experience with Blogger (also a Google service) it's that suddenly the "unresponsive error" dissapeared, such in the same strange way as it appeared, and all was in sync with the new Blogger Beta, by the way, Gmail it's still a beta service too.

Well as I said yesterday there isn't much to write. Everytime when I click the REPLY button in Gmail I receive this warning of a "Unresponsive script". Then I wait for a few seconds and then click "Stop Script". It is, however, interesting that this happens to me ONLY when I click Reply button. Never when I click for example "Compose File".

I have checked my Gmail account this morning again and suprisingly at first when I clicked Reply buttons in several messages in my inbox everything worked OK. Then I have decided to download something (an avi file from one of the websites) for a test and received "an unresponsive script" for the message whose reply button I clicked in that moment. After the download was completed I again tested my messages by clicking reply buttons (including the one that got "unresponsive script") and received no warning.

I am again clicking Reply buttons and again all seems to work OK.

It seems that these scripts will probably disappear just as it has arrived, just as "euskir" predicted. I see GMAIL has introduced some new stuff, so perhaps they are still struggling with some new-born diseases, which will hopefully slowly disappear.

I'll keep you posted if my problems will continue.
euskir

Post by euskir »

I'd said this before, after trying all the tricks in the book: full fresh installation (including fresh profile), tweak the browser config to "expand" script response time, well, everything, nothing was useful, and suddenly the "unresponsive script" pop up stops.
In my case, and in klemen too, it's easy to see a pattern with Google, I can't say the same for the people with the issue in other websites, back then my test on those websites doesn't give me the same error, but I was still having the error in Blogger.

Post by Guest »

schapel wrote:Yeah, the problems with extensions are also in the article.

If the problem is that you don't know what to write, please let us know that, and tell us the URL that demonstrates the problem.

Yousendit.com

Anytime I try to upload a file that is larger than 5k I get the unresponsive script popup. This is under 1.5 so it isn't a new FF2 issue. Any time I need to send a large-ish file to someone (graphics work for printing) we use yousendit.. we also use IE to upload them because FF can't handle it.
Kab

Post by Kab »

I also receive it and I know four of my work colleagues receive unresponsive script error too. It automatically goes away, but on the days it gets going, it occurs on every other site, even here Mozillazine.

And I got it in the exact URL the above poster has given just yesterday. I think its one of the extensions but haven't tracked it to which one.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Things like that could also be caused by a firewall that prevents the upload.
Kab

Post by Kab »

Yes your right. But I have no firewall installed but the SP2
schapel

Post by schapel »

Anonymous wrote:
schapel wrote:If the problem is that you don't know what to write, please let us know that, and tell us the URL that demonstrates the problem.
Yousendit.com

Anytime I try to upload a file that is larger than 5k I get the unresponsive script popup. This is under 1.5 so it isn't a new FF2 issue. Any time I need to send a large-ish file to someone (graphics work for printing) we use yousendit.. we also use IE to upload them because FF can't handle it.

I just uploaded a 1.39 MB file to yousendit.com using Firefox 2 on Windows XP, and I did not get any error or warning. Perhaps there is a problem with Firefox 1.5, or maybe it's a <a href="http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions">bad extension</a> that's causing the problem. If it's a problem with Firefox 1.5, don't bother writing a bug report, because it's getting only stability and security fixes until development ends in April 2007.

For more information about the problem, see <a href="http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unresponsive_Script_Warning">Unresponsive Script Warning</a>.
Last edited by schapel on July 26th, 2007, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kab

Post by Kab »

schapel,

Did you do that while extension-less?

Just so I can try...
schapel

Post by schapel »

Yes, I have only the built-in extensions DOM Inspector 1.8.1 and Talkback 2.0.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can try the upload test: http://gemal.dk/browserspy/upload.php

Post by Guest »

dickvl wrote:Things like that could also be caused by a firewall that prevents the upload.

So a firewall that only prevents occasional uploads and only with Firefox?

If I wasn't looking for help and just wanted to hear it is an extension or a firewall instead of a bug, I could have gone to ANY OTHER THREAD.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

An AV program can try to check the file before uploading and maybe that way preventing Fx from accessing that file.
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

How ironic that the following link has an OP that can't upload with IE 7 using yousendit.com, is asked to try Firefox 2.0, does so and it works flawlessly:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic61617.html

Also, from yousendit.com FAQs:
Why am I having problems uploading/downloading large files?

You may be experiencing network timeouts during long transfers. This is due to service problems between your network provider and ours. As YouSendIt adds more capacity in different geographies. this problem will occur less frequently.

http://www.yousendit.com/static.php?key=faq
Kab

Post by Kab »

Well I've tried it with two separate profiles and Ff2 installations and my main profile that has 51 extensions and three themes running, three times in the last hour, uploading a 6.12MB file and it did it perfectly inside 30 seconds each time.
Kab

Post by Kab »

Everyone:

I received this unresponsive script error today and a CPU jam.

Here's where: http://www.castlecops.com/sl-all.html

*1st open three tabs - all on this mozilla page (this thread)
*2nd open a fourth, enter in the link provided and hit enter.
*Scroll down as far as you can and see note the ease/diffculty its done.

Monitor: if your CPU usage suddenly jumps, if your memory and virtual memory suddenly jumps, if your system jams and if you then receive the unresponsive script error.

All this done with a new installation of Forefox2.0, on a new profile with the only two extension which are included by default.

Let me know if its reproduced on that site or not.

Thanks.