Unresponsive script error

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
schapel

Post by schapel »

That's a huge table, and scrolling was slow for me, but I didn't receive the unresponsive script error. The slowness is probably caused by <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54542">Bug 54542 - Large tables are slow</a> and possibly <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=202718">Bug 202718 - page scrolling extremely slow with smooth scrolling on. 100% CPU use</a>.
Kab

Post by Kab »

The 1st one I can verify as seeming right on.
The 2nd one is a trunk version 04-2003 bug for the Mozilla Application Suite and also confirmed for Firebird.

Plus, if that was the case many other websites would produce this effect, especially those with many .png's. I haven't come across this yet. For instance as the filer stated: http://www.chevrel.org/fr/carnet/ I have no problem with that, it loads and scrolls down perfectly.

And I don't have smooth scrolling enabled, so that all needs to be changed again - auto scrolling is though.

Thanks BTW.

EDIT;
But what Jesse mentions seems to be related, still
Slow scrolling on pages with fixed elements: bug 201307
Slow scrolling on pages with fixed backgrounds: bug 90198
essteeyou

Content blocking

Post by essteeyou »

If you're in a college or at work it could be their filtering causing the problems if a site that the script relies on is blocked, but not the site it's being run on.
Kab

Post by Kab »

I don't experience it anymore after uninstalling entirely the previous installation of Fx2 and downloading-installing freshly. The extensions such as Flashgot, DownloadThemAll! (avoid), MediaConnectivity (avoid), Torrent Search Toolbar, Video Downloader, PDF Download and Forecastfox were also either removed or disabled by me. Before that I received these errors and jams too.

Don't anymore at all.

Calgoo Causing Problems?

Post by Guest »

I just narrowed it down and fixed it for myself:

1. I had installed CalGoo 0.3 (google calendar program) today.
2. I began experiencing the user script error only after installation.
3. I had the error message on google searches only when I was signed in to my personalized Google site.
4. I disabled add-ons until I found that one add-on: Google Calendar Quick Add - was causing the problem.

I propose that, at least for some users, the interaction between CalGoo and Google Calendar Quick Add is causing the issue.

-Alex
razzbaronz

Post by razzbaronz »

The Google Calendar Quick-Add add-on has been updated on the author's site and now both CalGoo and the add-on are working flawlessly for me. (I forgot to log in before I posted that last message)
sy-phi

Post by sy-phi »

Harball Lover wrote:Beginning to suspect alternative proggies like Google Talk, Zone Alarm or AVG may be the cause. Anyone who's getting the script error running any of these 3 programs, too?

I use AVG and Google Talk and am getting the script error. It has to be Google Talk because every time I let my mouse hover over one of my contacts, I get the script error right when the contact information/pic should pop out. The strange thing is if I try to mouse-over it again, the "contact card" pops out no problem, but the unresponsive script error window remains until I exit Google Talk completely.
armon300

Different type of error...

Post by armon300 »

I've read some of the posts here, and none of them seem to be like my error. I'm getting the same "Warning: Unresponsive Script" error, however I get it everywhere, even on a blank page. I checked my "dom.max_script_run_time" and that's set at 10, default. The error I get only comes on start-up. After that, it doesn't even come once on any site. After start-up, all runs fine and well...
schapel

Post by schapel »

Akkana Peck

Media Player Connectivity

Post by Akkana Peck »

For ages I've been getting the Unresponsive Script dialog periodically on pages where no one else was. Today I was seeing it even on the Firefox internal URL about:cache?device=disk

I started removing extensions one by one and apparently the problem was Media Player Connectivity -- with that removed, I no longer see the dialog.
schapel

Re: Media Player Connectivity

Post by schapel »

Akkana Peck wrote:I started removing extensions one by one and apparently the problem was Media Player Connectivity -- with that removed, I no longer see the dialog.

Yes, that's one of the <a href="http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions">problematic extensions</a> that is known to cause this problem.

<i>Update</i>: I see you're actually the one who added that extension to the list. Thanks for the help!

Post by Guest »

Lo,

Same prob here. I just had to turn off addblock plus for mail.google.com and everything was fixed.
murphyslawqt

Error message

Post by murphyslawqt »

I also have been getting the same error message as everyone else. I have read over all of this forum's posts and frankly I just don't know where to start. I am not all that computer savvy. I"m afraid if I start doing all this stuff to my computer i will botch something up, or I will end up removing something that i want or need and won't know how to get it back. What I have gotten out of everything i have read, is that no one is really knows for sure what the problem or bug is. Thus there is not a clear fix as of yet. I' not meaning to be rude and I hope no one take what i have said in that manner. Also why if this is going on, has Mozilla FireFox not fixed this yet are they even working on it. If I have taken what I have read wrong please let me Know because like the rest of you I find this error annoying and would like to fix it. Thanks!:)
I haven't got time for the pain
kerflot

Re: Different type of error...

Post by kerflot »

armon300 wrote:I've read some of the posts here, and none of them seem to be like my error. I'm getting the same "Warning: Unresponsive Script" error, however I get it everywhere, even on a blank page. I checked my "dom.max_script_run_time" and that's set at 10, default. The error I get only comes on start-up. After that, it doesn't even come once on any site. After start-up, all runs fine and well...

Check here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs

Helped me. My prob only on start up, "Unresponsive Script" etc.
I use Windows XP Home, my computer uses Hyperthreading.
I changed compatability to "Windows 98/Windows ME" .
Problem solved.
schapel

Re: Error message

Post by schapel »

murphyslawqt wrote:I also have been getting the same error message as everyone else. I have read over all of this forum's posts and frankly I just don't know where to start.

Start here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unresponsive_Script_Error

murphyslawqt wrote:Also why if this is going on, has Mozilla FireFox not fixed this yet are they even working on it.

I don't mean to be rude, but quite frankly Mozilla Firefox has not fixed this "yet" because no one has yet pointed out a problem in Firefox. Do you think there is one? As far as I can tell, the problems seem to be in extensions and in web pages, not with Firefox.

As strange as it may seem, I'm seen many posts where people ask (often in an extremely rude and impatient way) for Firefox to fix some problem or other, without specifying what the problem is. Threads can even go on for pages and pages with no detail about what specific problem the poster is referring to. If you want a problem fixed, please patiently and calmly explain what the problem is. Is there a way I could see the problem in Firefox you are referring to?