Browser-window "pseudo-always-on-top" on WinXP

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
Kherlak

Browser-window "pseudo-always-on-top" on WinXP

Post by Kherlak »

Sometimes when using the final Firefox 2 build on windows, the browser-window shows strange behavior:

If I try to get another application's window to the top (typically it happens with Free Download Manager after a download has finished and I try to access it) Firefox 2 stays on top, as if it had the always-on-top property. Only minimizing and restoring the Firefox window once makes it behave regularly again.

Though this bug can't be reliably replicated it happens quite often and on two separate computers.

Did anybody else notice this strange bug?
snorton

Post by snorton »

I'm seeing the exact same problem. It happens quite frequently.

I've tried changing themes and disabling all the extensions but no joy.

It's VERY frustrating. I did not know about minimize/restore to fix the problem. Thanks!
feldon23

Same Problem Here

Post by feldon23 »

Same problem here. It's driving me nuts. Any solutions?
sour lime

Post by sour lime »

And if there's no known solution yet, it would be nice if someone would reply and let us know. I've tried searching the forums to figure this out, but I can't tell if the problem is that I'm not reading the right threads or that it hasn't been solved yet.
old LoudNoise

Post by old LoudNoise »

Usually it is caused by memory usage. Next time it happens check task manager and see if anything is using a high amount of memory or processor.
firefoxconvrt

Post by firefoxconvrt »

This sounds similar to my problem (annoyance really). Each time a launch a new Firefox session, the window opens the same size every time..about 3/4 screen....even when i close Firefox with a fully maximized window previously. Its driving me nuts!

Any ideas??
feldon23

Post by feldon23 »

Sorry, but that's not the same thing and not really of the caliber of problem we are having. We open a new window with Firefox, and we can't get ANY window on top of it, not even Task Manager. I try to get it to work for a few seconds and then give up and open a tab in an existing Firefox window to work around the problem. I noticed this the moment I upgraded to Firefox 2.
feldon23

Post by feldon23 »

firefoxconvrt wrote:This sounds similar to my problem (annoyance really). Each time a launch a new Firefox session, the window opens the same size every time..about 3/4 screen....even when i close Firefox with a fully maximized window previously. Its driving me nuts!

Any ideas??
This is actually accepted Windows development practices to not "remember" the maximized size as the size to use on next launch.
feldon23

Post by feldon23 »

PLEASE fix this maddening bug!

It has nothing to do with memory usage and it sure did not exist in Firefox 1.0 or 1.5.

I have repeated it so many times it's not even funny. I am going to have to remove Firefox 2 and go back to 1.5 or switch to IE7 because of this.
halcy

Post by halcy »

Same problem here, looking for a solution.
feldon23

Post by feldon23 »

The usual "it's our fault" solution.

I minimize the "window that will not give up" to the taskbar and then restore it and it behaves properly again.
halcy

Post by halcy »

On my system it often happens when opening a new tab (background) or when download launches an app in the background.

Firefox stays on top and refuses to go down the window stack even if I try to active (click on) any other window).

Thanks for the minimize work-around! It's cumbersome, but better than quitting/restarting.
halcy

Post by halcy »

Still having this issue.

Tried lowering memory cache, but didn't help.

Very annoying bug.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

feldon23 wrote:PLEASE fix this maddening bug!

It has nothing to do with memory usage and it sure did not exist in Firefox 1.0 or 1.5.

No Firefox developer has read this Forum in years and so none are reading this*. If you would like to make a Bug Report then please go here : https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/

They do require good evidence though, so as to not waste time - here are some Bug Reports for you to look through to get the idea : http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 84&start=0

For previous versions of Firefox, go here : ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/

...you just work your way through it, until you get to the right version for you. For example : ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/f ... in32/en-US

Good luck with your problem.

*this is just another support forum really.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
-fullmetaljacket-

Post by -fullmetaljacket- »

any bug filed for this?